Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627
    I'm afraid gp surgeries I've found arnt the best of help..currently having similar prob with mil, that's another tale!
    I wouldn't try to explain anything or tell your wife she must eat, just cook and put it in front or however you've done in the past. If you get concerned re eating at mealtimes use snacks, a sandwich , a cake, biscuits.
    Sadly it takes a bit of brain training (ironic I know) for ourselves to think their way.
    Some thoughts are more child like so we go back to dealing with childhood again.
    Easier not to ask perhaps ? Just provide?
    I'm having a cuppa , I've made you one....

When I started this journey I never thought I'd see the other side of someone where I was. Dads 10yrs in plus and in a dementia nursing home.
    Mum still finds days hard , she is in limbo bit she was exhausted after 9yrs . Dad luckily liked to go out as always worked so felt was working in some way.
    They did dance classes, art, singing for the brain, age uk all for dementia .
    There are dementia cafes and groups where you can at least speak to like minded , you will find volunteers will occupy your wife to give you space to chat.
    It's all well being patient but ...dementia isn't patient.

Al
    Why wait? - You will have to get help at some stage and if you get it now you can get out for a walk and take time to talk to someone for a few mins without rushing home.
    You really need it or you will crack up from the constant demands of caring for your wife no matter how much you love her.
    Also - she just might surprise you by being more cooperative with the carer in eating, taking her tablets etc.
    When talking to the nurse you must let her know that you're desperate - if she thinks you're coping she will let you....

Quote Originally Posted by MAMMYGRANNY View Post
    Al
    Why wait? - You will have to get help at some stage and if you get it now you can get out for a walk and take time to talk to someone for a few mins without rushing home.
    You really need it or you will crack up from the constant demands of caring for your wife no matter how much you love her.
    Also - she just might surprise you by being more cooperative with the carer in eating, taking her tablets etc.
    When talking to the nurse you must let her know that you're desperate - if she thinks you're coping she will let you....
    Al, MammyGranny makes a brilliant point here. Bet your wife would be as sweet as pie with someone else. Give it a go, my dear. If you know you are going to 'have to' at some point, what benefit is there in waiting?