Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Yes, that does seem odd minnie - as you say, the main symptom of semantic dementia is speech problems and a loss of understanding of what words mean http://www.ftdtalk.org/ftd-factsheet...ntic-dementia/
    The things you are describing sound much more like the sort of thing that my mum with Alzheimers used to do before she went into a care home.

Puzzled
    Learning to sing in a cage

Sorry to hear of your situation Minnie, that must be tough being the main carer with two children aswell. Do you have any family help or not really? Does your Mum help out even though they are divorced?

Your Dad sounds similar to my Mum she just talks and talks 24 hours but doesn't really make sense. Last night she didn't sleep at all due to talking all night so I fear she will be sectioned again soon

Oh Im sorry to hear that HayleyMarie. I do wish they could sort her meds out.

New User
    I know I have mentioned this at every appointment they still saying it is with him not realising what objects are have found him eating cat food trying to drink cleaning products and not knowing which animals are which. I don't think they know.

Oh no that must be so hard her being up all night, I hope you're ok. my dad lives alone so god knows what he gets up to. My mum helps to clean his house for me when I take him out so that's a good help. My brother has him once a week for me and his parents have him once too but it's so hard for them they are in their late 80's

care home costs

I've been accessing this site for about 4 or 5 years now as my wife has semantic dementia. She has been diagnosed now for about 8 years and has had it for about 11 years. She is 69. I am her full time carer and nowadays that means everything from cooking to washing to toilet to shopping to doctors etc. I would never put her in a care home so long as I am able to do all these things. However, reading all the many correspondence in these pages where people say that their loved ones are in a care home or are thinking of it, there seems to be 'an elephant in the room' - meaning that nobody mentions money! Never have I seen the mention of the extortionate cost of care homes. I know how much they cost and I can't see how anyone can afford it - assuming that they have over £20k including the value of their house. Hoe do people afford it - perhaps some of this site's readers can explain?

Hello Aquilaboy
    My OH has FTD and my mum has Alzheimers and is in a care home.
    Here is a quick resume:
    Payment for residential homes comes from savings that the person who moves to the home has (not the relatives savings) if that person has savings over £23,000. This also includes property unless a spouse is living in it (there are one or two other exceptions too, but I cant remember them). Mum lived on her own and owned her bungalow, so I have had to sell it to pay the care home fees. If she is still living when her total savings go down to £23,000 the Local Authority will start to pay the bill. Once she is down to £14,250 (I think) the Local Authority will be paying their maximum amount. Unfortunately, this is usually less than the amount that the care home charges and then the relatives will be asked to pay the extra (so called top-up fees). If the relatives are unable, or do not wish, to pay then the LA will probably want to move them to a care home that will accept the LAs maximum payment. Sometimes they can be persuaded to keep the person where they are without top-up fees, but dont count on it.

Quote Originally Posted by canary View Post
    Hello Aquilaboy
    My OH has FTD and my mum has Alzheimers and is in a care home.
    Here is a quick resume:
    Payment for residential homes comes from savings that the person who moves to the home has (not the relatives savings) if that person has savings over £23,000. This also includes property unless a spouse is living in it (there are one or two other exceptions too, but I cant remember them). Mum lived on her own and owned her bungalow, so I have had to sell it to pay the care home fees. If she is still living when her total savings go down to £23,000 the Local Authority will start to pay the bill. Once she is down to £14,250 (I think) the Local Authority will be paying their maximum amount. Unfortunately, this is usually less than the amount that the care home charges and then the relatives will be asked to pay the extra (so called top-up fees). If the relatives are unable, or do not wish, to pay then the LA will probably want to move them to a care home that will accept the LAs maximum payment. Sometimes they can be persuaded to keep the person where they are without top-up fees, but dont count on it.
    My father is in a care home. He didnt own his home so all but a nominal amount of his pensions go towards his fees. LA make up the difference. He has just been informed that as staff now have to be paid a higher minimum wage his fees will go up.
    Topping up fees by his children is the very last thing he wants. Im anxiously waiting to see what happens as my husband has FTD and fear it won't be long before he will need residential care.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanawendy6 View Post
    My father is in a care home. He didnt own his home so all but a nominal amount of his pensions go towards his fees. LA make up the difference. He has just been informed that as staff now have to be paid a higher minimum wage his fees will go up.
    Topping up fees by his children is the very last thing he wants. Im anxiously waiting to see what happens as my husband has FTD and fear it won't be long before he will need residential care.
    Fathers fees are about £900 a week. A WEEK. His contributions amount to about £500 a week. He fortunately paid into a good occupational pension.