Page 189 of 192 FirstFirst ... 89139179187188189190191 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,835 of 2871
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugsta View Post
    Sam, I am so glad that your friend is safe
    Me too . I don't think I've really thought about what's going on elsewhere, not, in the moment, now what, thought about it IYKWIM

This was scary worry. I kept checking in, checking messenger to see if she'd logged in etc, nothing at all for 9 hours

But, at least I know she's out of immediate danger
    Quitters never win and winners never quit

It's been a strange day, but overall, I think it's been good

Mum was grumpy lady this morning, but I let her get on with it, giving hugs as I passed her, gently dancing her out of the way & just on an upbeat, it's a great day & I'm going to smile through it

I've phoned & congratulated my youngest on his quarter century B'day , firmed up plans to see him & significant other in a few weeks

Helped out a friend & then impromptu invited them to dinner. Told mum 15 minutes before they arrived. She got in a huff, then calmed quickly, I was calm, no stress, with a "if you don't like it don't eat it" attitude & it was a relaxed chatty dinner

We've finished off with rubbish TV & chilled

As the programme ended, Bake Off was on, which mum settled into. I tried cajoling her off to bed, but no chance, it finished at 01.00 , however, I've told her we have nothing in tomorrow so we are having a lie in . She's off to bed 😝 & the dogs gone too

Now, I'm sitting wondering where I find a recipe for chocolate pastry. the whole thing was chocolate based, chocolate soufflé, chocolate creations, chocolate ...., but everything seemed to include chocolate pastry ... I'm now dying for chocolate

I'm not sure the link will work, but just in case ...

https://www.facebook.com/HelpDementi...2506475291989/

I've heard the bookcase explanation, but this is 2 bookcases, explaining the loss of memory along with the retention of emotion

It made me sad, but with so many stories of forgetting the event/ visit/argument while staying happy or cross, it made me more determined to work at keeping it calm for as long as I can

Lovely post, Sam☺. Hugs x

Quote Originally Posted by MollyD View Post
    Lovely post, Sam☺. Hugs x
    Hi Molly

Lovely to see you, I do hope you are taking care of yourself, one foot in front of the other & making time for you

In a funny way, the video gave me some reassurance that I'm on the right track

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Luvit View Post
    I'm not sure the link will work, but just in case ...

https://www.facebook.com/HelpDementi...2506475291989/

I've heard the bookcase explanation, but this is 2 bookcases, explaining the loss of memory along with the retention of emotion

It made me sad, but with so many stories of forgetting the event/ visit/argument while staying happy or cross, it made me more determined to work at keeping it calm for as long as I can
    What a lovely link to read. I'm always amazed how people cope with the knowledge that they have dementia. When things first started to happen with Mum she was adamant she was just getting old and it was all perfectly normal so we never discussed the dementia at all and then it just seemed to be that Mum could no longer understand that she had any illness quite strange really. I often wonder what she might have said.
    Hope everything is ok there Sam and I know you are getting excited for your Ireland break not long to go. Is your Mum coping ok knowing that you are going or does she not know Yet?

Well one of my cousins and his wife came to visit today. They arrived 11.30 and had lunch with us and got chance to spend some time with Mum whilst she was awake as after lunch she was spark out and was still sleeping soundly as they left at 4pm. They live in Manchester. It was a really nice day but I feel shattered so I think I will sleep well tonight😴😴

Hope all is well with you Slugsta are you getting prepared for tomorrow 😉TM

Hi Rosy 🤗

Mums doctor told her when she was on her own, recent widow & I was 100 miles away , I should have left the misspelling lol, it put a "i" instead of the "o"

Anyway, as a retired dementia nurse, she knew exactly what Alzheimer's was, had nursed many with it, so was very upset. She's worried over the last 2 years about how I will cope & talked if wanting to die , but she's recently forgotten the diagnosis, she knows something is wrong, but I'm very casual about it, saying she's just mum & getting a bit forgetful & she needs to trust me

However. Tonight she's informed me she is going to move into a residential home & I can visit I did ask where I was supposed to live if she does that . Hope that one is forgotten in the morning I must be the only person who is trying to talk their PWD out of care home

TBH, I'm so tired running around after everyone, I've not done anything about Ireland apart from check in & book my seat I've no idea about clothes, not sorted my case etc. I think I'm doing something for someone every day till I leave

Mum knows I'm going & is fine about it, brother has been told he will be visiting her during that week we shall see .

It's so nice that your cousin comes to see you both, I'm sure it's hard work for you, but it does give you some "adult" conversation too. That has to be good for you.

I'm feeling a bit deflated tonight. J & I were going to go for 2 weeks if sun & sand in May, but something came up from her end, then mum was having tests ... so it went on, then it was summer holidays, maybe September, it got pushed to first week of October, then her friend needed a favour, so it was end of October. Tonight she's said it's too close to Christmas so not this year

I agree with her reasoning, but I was so hanging onto the idea of a break, no cooking, no washing up etc, I started the year believing mum & I would go away, then J & I would go, Liverpool, Ireland & Blackpool, that I feel sad it's not worked out.

I'm glad I did Liverpool, although it wasn't what I thought it would be, without that, Blackpool wouldn't have happened. I am looking forward to Ireland , it'll be fine once I'm on the way, but, all 3 will involve massive travelling, lots of driving & lots of juggling. So climbing on a train & then flying off was very appealing maybe it is for the best

Maybe one day in the future Sam we'll fly off somewhere warm and sunny and chill 😎😎
    You'll enjoy Ireland I'm sure. The Irish I've found are usually warm welcoming and have a great sense of humour and they will all love you 😊

Just been reading your post given to the applicant who has qualified for the job interview, so thoughtful of you to give such sound advice took me back to doing interviews seems an age away now.....

Been quiet here today Mum slept the majority of the day ate her breakfast had a tiny bit of lunch quarter of a sandwich and 2 sips of soup (homemade) and that's been it.. For the first 4 hours of the day she will chat do some colouring after a fashion in a child's colouring book but then it is sleep for the rest of the time.but at least she seems settled.

Hope Margi is getting some fun time and chilling.
    Have a good night Sam. Got J here tomorrow 10 - 11.30AM if your about I'll give you a call.

Hi Rosy

The trouble with one day, is it means losing someone we love very much , but yes, I'll sit on a beach with you & talk about nothing & remember the good times. I may even get to grieve my dad, who is very much in my thoughts at the moment.

Yes, I'm sure Ireland will be lovely, it's like going home, I feel very relaxed when I visit, though I become very aware of my Englishness . I hope we all get on, especially HillyBilly as I'm staying a night with her at each end

I enjoyed the interview suggestions, I've been both sides of that table , it gave me the chance to use my brain in a way I've not done for some time. I do hope she comes back saying how she got on.

It's good your mum is still eating, all be it, not a lot, but she's still having some. It's got to be hard thinking of different things to entice her, although, I'm sure chocolate cake & cream is going to be a winner for a long time yet

Yes, call me. I'll try to be awake & not in the shower this time lol. I was taking my brother fishing, but word has gone round about the massive record breaking fish he caught last week & it seems they are full, so he may not get to go . It's his one pleasure, so I do feel bad for him, although it gives me a whole day off , watch that go wrong lol

We've just watched Obbsessive Cleaner's, it just followed something & I couldn't be bothered with the remote. It was sort of interesting mum is forever cleaning, while I'm more interested in living life. I think the programme showing obsessive cleaners helping clean messy, filthy houses has made her see, while I may be less than pristine, I'm not dirty & not as bad as she thinks.

Hope Margi has ignored the phone & is basking in the sun

Evening all,

Sam, I'm so sorry your holiday with your friend has been postponed again. I know how important it is to have something to look forward to I know you are looking forward to the Irish get-together but some time away with your friend has been the 'carrot' that kept you moving forward (((hugs)))

It sounds as if peeps have been doing some entertaining over the past few days. I'm glad you have been able to spend some time with someone other than your PWDs.

Mum was relatively alert when we saw her yesterday and seemed to recognise us. Of course, she can no longer tell us whether she knows exactly who we are but she clearly recognises us as people she knows and loves. She had some chocolate and then nodded off again. The staff were a bit worried because Mum had a nosebleed earlier in the day but she has been prone to them ever since she was a child, so we don't get very excited about them.

The weather has brightened up here although it was a bit blowy when I came home from choir on Tuesday.

Unfortunately, TM wasn't well today so we didn't have our usual meeting

Morning Slugsta 🤗

Yes, the idea of a complete break was indeed my carrot , J has tried talking me into advertising on FB for a holiday buddy , but it doesn't appeal & I'm not yet desperate enough to go alone

Your mum still knowing you as people she loves is nice to read, the idea that emotions last the longest seems to be true & the home seem to be keeping you informed of things, which is reassuring, even if they forget her history of nosebleeds.

Pity about your TM, I was looking forward to enjoying a virtual afternoon of chat , hope it's nothing serious & you are set for next week.

It was really cold last night, very wintery, but although crisp today, the sun is out & it looks nice. So far I've nothing planned, so I think I'll stay indoors & enjoy the sunshine through the windows

It was certainly cool here this morning at 7.15 when I left for aquagym. My hands were quite painful, will have to find my gloves - I know where I used to keep them but am not sure where I put them when we unpacked . . .

Mum was awake again when we went in today, I hope it lasts until tomorrow as our son is coming down for the day.

Hi Slugsta

It was cool enough for the heating to kick in this afternoon, , I know it's cooler, but didn't think it had gotten that cold

I'll have to buy gloves, my hands are definitely not happy, I'm also going to have to start telling mum to bring hers when we go out.

Fingers crossed your mum is awake for your sons visit, it'll be nice for you to see him & nicer for him too.

I'll see my youngest on the way back from Ireland, can't blooming wait, it's been months due to car problems. It'll be the longest time I've not seen him ever. I think I'll probably hug the life out if him, poor guy

Volunteer Host
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Luvit View Post
    Hi Slugsta

It was cool enough for the heating to kick in this afternoon, , I know it's cooler, but didn't think it had gotten that cold

I'll have to buy gloves, my hands are definitely not happy, I'm also going to have to start telling mum to bring hers when we go out.

Fingers crossed your mum is awake for your sons visit, it'll be nice for you to see him & nicer for him too.

I'll see my youngest on the way back from Ireland, can't blooming wait, it's been months due to car problems. It'll be the longest time I've not seen him ever. I think I'll probably hug the life out if him, poor guy
    Sam, I posted about it elsewhere last night, but in case you didn't see. Lidl have in this weekend, these lovely heated shoulder pads! It's like a sort of mini cape that you put around your shoulders, and it plugs in like an electric blanket. Nice long lead on it too! It switches off automatically after 1 1/2 hours, and then you wait a short while and switch it back on if you want. It's just bliss!

Evening all,

We had a nice few hours with son - lunch, then visit to Grandma, then tea. Then we dropped him off at his friend's place from where he will make his way back to the station.

Mum was awake and alert today - she broke into a huge smile and said 'I love you' when she saw our son! There was no other talking but she happily ate a 'finger of fudge' and a 2 bar kit-kat while we were there.

I'm feeling a bit chilly, don't want to get undressed to put nightie on!