Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thank you to those who have responded!

I am going to write a short paper with a lay summary of the findings which I will share here with permission from the moderators once I have results. The work will also be shared with the Alzheimer's society to disseminate.

I just wanted to give this thread a quick bump for those who haven't seen it.

This is your opportunity to participate in a short survey which will be used to improve the quality and safety of care that is provided in Accident and Emergency departments for people living with dementia.

I've had 75 responses so far, which is absolutely amazing! I need another 300 before June 1st to be able to publish my results.

If you have 10 minutes free, and you have visited any emergency department in England over the last 2 years, I would be very grateful for your input!

Completed

Completed

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point
    Loving a person is like music, what attracts us to them is their melody, and as we get to know who they are, we learn their lyrics

Done - I had missed that the survey had been extended to the whole of England.
    Sue

Carer and Volunteer Moderator

About me

I'd have liked to participate in the survey but can't answer all the questions. Is a partial answer of any use please?

Im also not in the area in fact I dont even live in the UK but I have a MIL in a uk care home.
    I also have a husband with dementia.

The first thing about imporving care is a human factor because unless staff are educated then there can be no improvement. Talking to PWD as if they are idiots isnt helpful ignoring them isnt helpful either yet these are two attitudes we have met in both the uk and here in NL.

Educating staff of the difference between types of dementia might be helpful too.

Then move on to the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Selinacroft View Post
    Completed
    Thank you very much! I appreciate your input

Quote Originally Posted by chick1962 View Post
    Completed

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point
    Thank you very much! I appreciate your input

Quote Originally Posted by sue38 View Post
    Done - I had missed that the survey had been extended to the whole of England.
    Thank you very much! Thats why I gave it a quick bump, helps let people know about the change! I appreciate your input

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoConfused View Post
    I'd have liked to participate in the survey but can't answer all the questions. Is a partial answer of any use please?
    Hi, partially complete answers can be a great source of information- so yes, please feel free to fill in the survey even if you aren't 100%. You always have the option of selecting I neither agree or disagree for multiple choice questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zana View Post
    Im also not in the area in fact I dont even live in the UK but I have a MIL in a uk care home.
    I also have a husband with dementia.

The first thing about imporving care is a human factor because unless staff are educated then there can be no improvement. Talking to PWD as if they are idiots isnt helpful ignoring them isnt helpful either yet these are two attitudes we have met in both the uk and here in NL.

Educating staff of the difference between types of dementia might be helpful too.

Then move on to the rest!
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. I think you are very right, increasing awareness and training is an important step in improving services.

As this is research only into hospital experiences for people with dementia, I can't add anything as my husband with dementia, has not, fortunately, had occasion to go to a hospital.

There is a scheme called The Purple Angel Scheme, which I believe started in Florida and was taken up by a dementia sufferer , Norman Macnamara, and his wife. They got the scheme adopted by the hospital in Torbay. It surprises me that it isn't better known here.
    What will survive of us is love. ( Philip Larkin.)

Google Norman Macnamara and Purple Angel for information... I don't know how to add a link, sorry.
    What will survive of us is love. ( Philip Larkin.)

Completed survey.
    Jay

Volunteer Moderator and former Carer.

Feelings are much like waves, we can't stop them from coming but we can chose which ones to surf.