Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
    Good to hear that the carers are managing him so well but sad for you to see. Xx

RAnne, I'm sure you know this, but I had a thought. Some antihistamines, especially the prescription ones make some people sleepy, so I wonder if that's possibly what you are seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Amy in the US View Post
    RAnne, I'm sure you know this, but I had a thought. Some antihistamines, especially the prescription ones make some people sleepy, so I wonder if that's possibly what you are seeing?
    Yes, I think it is Amy. He was very sleepy this morning, but still managed to eat a good lunch...and went back to snoozing in a chair afterwards. At least he's peaceful.
    ( Incidentally, he wouldn't have been able to snooze properly in his previous care home, as there was always a hubbub going on)
    What will survive of us is love. ( Philip Larkin.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rageddy Anne View Post
    Yes, I think it is Amy. He was very sleepy this morning, but still managed to eat a good lunch...and went back to snoozing in a chair afterwards. At least he's peaceful.
    ( Incidentally, he wouldn't have been able to snooze properly in his previous care home, as there was always a hubbub going on)
    That's really good news your Rob can snooze peacefully in the chair. You must be relieved. xx

It's a real relief to have seen him snoozing peacefully, because for three days I've been laid low by some sort of winter ill( yes, I know it's nearly summer!). So I haven't been to visit him, though a friend has.The good thing is I know he's well looked after, and gets the peace and quiet he needs...thank goodness we changed Care Homes...
    Last edited by Rageddy Anne; 04-05-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Sorry to hear you've not been well Anne. That Rob is a lot more rested at his new home is a positive though.
    Love is not a victory march, it's a cold and its a broken Hallelujah.

Registered User Canadian Joanne's Avatar
    It truly is a comfort and assurance when we find the right home for our loved ones. They are not perfect, as nothing is, but a warm and caring staff is worth diamonds.
    Joanne
    Former carer
    When you've seen one person with Alzheimer's, you've seen one person with Alzheimer's

Hello Anne, so sorry you have been laid low for a few days, hope you are feeling better now. What a relief to know your Rob is doing Ok in his new CH and has been able to have visitors in your absence. Big hugs xxxxxxx

Changing medication

Rob's GP decided to try changing some of his meds, and it appears that the terrible itching has diminished. Perhaps he was allergic to the pullups. The pads aren't as convenient but if the itching is diminishing then it has to be pads again.

Coinciding with changing meds has been a huge and increasingly distressing increase in his stress levels. He's been shouting orders loudly, telling everyone off for incompetence, fiercely resisting all personal care, and even struck an insistent Carer in the face because she was trying to get him to shower. At the same time he seems seriously constipated, and his breath smells awful. The GP couldn't visit today, possibly Monday or Tuesday, and I'm told there's a team that will be coming to consider his treatment.

The changed behaviour could be a new stage in his dementia, I suppose, but perhaps it's the result of one of the changes in meds. What a difficult task it must be for the GP, no cure, and with everyone's dementia being different, an almost impossible task to find a solution to the difficulties.

If the care home can't cope I suppose he wil be asked to leave. The irony is that another resident has been asked to leave, and his poor wife is considering the place where Rob used to be, the one we didn't like. They did have an upstairs level for people who were advanced and very needy, and mostly confined to their rooms, so perhaps that is suitable now, but I feel so sorry... The other resident was angry and hit out, like Rob, and seems to have been sedated to the point of inertia...perhaps this happens in some cases...

What a curse this illness is.

Poor old Rob, and what a horrendous stressful time for you Anne.
    Love is not a victory march, it's a cold and its a broken Hallelujah.

No wonder you’re up in the middle of the night Anne.

I find it so distressing when people who are challenging, are almost living with the threat of eviction from a care home which is registered for dementia.

1 .Why was the carer insisting he shower?

Dhiren went through a period of refusing a bath . His decision was accepted and he was cleansed thoroughly every time he received personal care.
    He was also told when every bath time came round. One day he agreed to a bath and did so from then on.

Sylvia

Former Carer

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me

Oh poor you sorry to hear he has become unsettled. Do hope it's caused by the change in meds and he will settle down again. Worrying for you x

Really sorry to hear this, Anne. I hope it turns out to be the medication and they can tweak to improve his state of mind.

Re.. Separate thread

Recently I started a separate thread called CONSTIPATION MATTERS, with a warning for the squeamish. It related to worries about Rob's constipation, terrible smelling breath, and something I'd read about, relating to faecal compaction. There were some very helpful replies.

Having drawn my concerns to the Care Home Nurse, the Dragon One, she dismissed them. But Rob was prescribed two doses of laxatives a day, and yesterday, when the Care Home was unexpectedly short staffed, the laxatives dramatically seem to have done their job. He was a bit more peaceful, but it took two carers with me encouraging, to persuade Rob to have the necessary wash and shower... Today I dread visiting him, but feel I can't abandon him when I expect them to still be short staffed.

So the next question is, how to prevent this happening again? How to introduce extra fibre into his diet from home?

Quote Originally Posted by Rageddy Anne View Post

So the next question is, how to prevent this happening again? How to introduce extra fibre into his diet from home?
    It`s not your responsibility Anne, it`s the responsibility of the care home. If the outcome of the double dose of laxatives was so dramatic, perhaps the home will take their responsibility more seriously from now on.

Sylvia

Former Carer

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet

About me