Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
    Hello Anne,

I have problems get my dad to eat enough fibre, I don't live with him but I know he has a high fibre cereal for breakfast and not much else in the way of fibre unless I feed him. So I buy him easy to eat snacks.

If he likes cereal bars Aldi do one called "benefit" which has almost 5g of fibre in a very small bar. I could easily eat 2 at a time!! Would something like that help?

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

THANKYOU bunboots, I'll look for some of those bars or similar. I take him a banana sometimes; he likes them and I think they're good for him. Maybe digestive biscuits.

He hasn't had many visitors this week, everyone diverted unexpectedly or terribly busy elsewhere. He's been getting melancholy, and I wonder if it's not the change in meds, could it be something like boredom.? They have impromptu singsongs, sometimes carers take him into the garden, two activities coordinators circulate and chat to people, do jigsaws, arrange knitting( popular with the ladies) watch suitable quiz shows..(Pointless is popular) anything similar to what people might do at home. Some lady singers come in for jolly singing sessions, popular with some, less so for others, but they try... Carers will sometimes just sit and chat with residents between jobs, and a pleasant relaxed atmosphere is actively created..At the previous care home the carers would have animated conversations with each other while completely ignoring the residents, and that would never happen here.
    But this week there have had to be some Agency carers, which makes it a bit less calm as they sort themselves out.
    I hope to see the GP this week, to see if he thinks another change in medication might help. It has to be a balance between sedation and loss of mental faculties, but in Rob's case those are rapidly diminishing anyway...His sense of space is going, he now thinks a threshold strip is a step. The plain carpets are better than the previous home's simulated planking, perfectly flat but with a knotted design....He was sure the knots were lumps...
    Last edited by Rageddy Anne; 21-05-2017 at 04:40 PM.
    What will survive of us is love. ( Philip Larkin.)

Hi RA

I read but don't tend to contribute to your post, but want to know how you are doing. You do so much, I admire you

While bananas are good, great source of potassium, they are a natural source to " bung you up" as my nurse mother would say.

Satsuma & tangerines apparently have the opposite effect.

Hope you can try the cereal bars with good effect & you are looking after yourself a bit
    Quitters never win and winners never quit

That's helpful Samluvit, I only take one banana a day for Rob, but those little tangerines are good just now...the only downside is he spits out the pithy stuff, and doesn't care where! I was taking grapes until I discovered they're full of sugar( of course they must be) and because he's borderline diabetic , not the best thing for him. He also spits out the pips, which I have to anticipate and try to intercept!

The GP was supposed to go into the Care Home today to see Rob, and I went in expecting to see him. The Dragon nurse said airily" the doctor's not coming in on .Wednesdays any more. It'll be Fridays". So I said it was Tuesday, and I thought he'd be there today.....and she repeated herself in a tone that suggested I was stupid.

So I missed a delivery to my address for my son when there was no need.

Rob was itchy and agitated after lunch, though he was asleep in a chair when I arrived, calm in the presence of our lovely friend who has a way of calming him...another normally agitated resident was also sitting calmly there, and a lady with dementia and her visiting husband. It was a very nice arrangement, the visitors keeping the conversational ball rolling, and the residents stirring occasionally and even venturing a few words, but relaxed.