Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1331
    Ha ha - we're both fine thanks!
    Toothache has abated too.

Volunteer Host
    Quote Originally Posted by HillyBilly View Post
    Ha ha - we're both fine thanks!
    Toothache has abated too.
    Good to hear!

I told mum I wanted to take her away for an overnight (or two if I can stretch to it) stay somewhere nice for her 80th birthday, which is coming up next month. I have been thinking vaguely of places she might like, but it didn't occur to me to ask if there was anywhere particular she wanted to go. She can't fly any more because of her health. So, yesterday I told her what I was thinking, and she immediately said "You know where I'd love to go? Bunratty! Not into the castle, but around that area, to see the folk park and other things around there." Bunratty had never entered my head! So, it looks like we will be heading that way. Not sure when. Sometime in end March/beginning April I think.

I have toothache.

I've had no alcohol for three nights!!!
    Morning Hillybilly

Sorry your mum is having a downturn & no it's not selfish to want it not to linger. I think it would be selfish to want mum to live forever if she's got no quality of life. (It's me with no life ATM).

The youth sounds fun I hope you got him to hold one hand over an ear so your talking to didn't go in one and out the other ear . I'm sorry to say the ones that get up at a proper time are the rarity here & the points are most likely seen as an achievement

Hope the car part sorts out your starting problem. Cars are great till they go wrong, then a money pit & frustration on wheels

You really should have made the youth sort the chemical toilet, I hope you didn't regret letting him off the hook after your fish non dinner

Why no alcohol ? I couldn't do this without some mind numbing

Hope the weekend is better
    Quitters never win and winners never quit

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Luvit View Post
    Hope the weekend is better
    I think it will be Sam - just been to Lidl and bought wine
    The part for the car turned up, less than 24hrs after ordering it.
    Not sure when it'll get fitted though as OH is still drooling over his new toy

I think it will be Sam - just been to Lidl and bought wine
    The part for the car turned up, less than 24hrs after ordering it.
    Not sure when it'll get fitted though as OH is still drooling over his new toy
    I'm off to buy more rum . I think I might drink the whole bottle tonight

Boys n their toys ... but when it's a bike, well, you might as well leave them to it, it's going to be a while.

OH is currently taking a band saw to pieces, not sure which one, he has 2, a new one, and an old one. The old one can't be sold until the new one is up and running, we have a rather full garage.

The new one will apparently mean our new kitchen units are built more quickly

Campervan built in 2015 and Bathroom redone in 2016 still not quite finished

Quote Originally Posted by jugglingmum View Post
    OH is currently taking a band saw to pieces, not sure which one, he has 2, a new one, and an old one. The old one can't be sold until the new one is up and running, we have a rather full garage.

The new one will apparently mean our new kitchen units are built more quickly

Campervan built in 2015 and Bathroom redone in 2016 still not quite finished
    We will be forever living in an unfinished house.

We also seem to be running out of storage space for "stuff" despite having a goodly sized house, a huge workshop, a 40ft container, a caravan, a summerhouse, a greenhouse, a polytunnel and two huge lean-to type structures. It's the First Law of Kipple come to life. I swear the motorbikes and sofas are breeding out there...

We sort of have a timetable to redecorate house, before we move, to get it looking saleable - sometime after son finishes school in just over 6 years time. So a long timetable and I suspect we won't move for a little bit longer, sort of coincides with planned (early) retirement date. Although OH is threatening to self build, which I can just see would not get quite finished.

Quote Originally Posted by jugglingmum View Post
    We sort of have a timetable to redecorate house, before we move, to get it looking saleable - sometime after son finishes school in just over 6 years time. So a long timetable and I suspect we won't move for a little bit longer, sort of coincides with planned (early) retirement date. Although OH is threatening to self build, which I can just see would not get quite finished.
    I'd love to have a chance to self build. You can have rooms where you want them, sizes you want, plugs in the right place.

My house was a "project", nothing done since it was built in 1960. The only way I could work it out to get things done, was to treat it like a work project

I had an A4 pad, a page for each room & listed everything that needed to be done. I then crossed off as the jobs were done, but I could pick out smaller things if I only had an hour, or longer jobs if I had a whole day.

I'm sure with the work you do, you'd find it easy to set up. It also means you can pick up things you could do so your OH can do the next bit.

It was great ripping out a page as that list was completed

The first few years really didn't seem like anything was getting done, then suddenly I was putting up shelves & hanging curtains. The spare room was set up so it was always ready for a visitor, but could be used as a quiet area for the rest of the time (sofa bed with loads of cushions). The office was sorted & useable

I never did get my room finished, as it was always last, but I got a lot of the house done before dementia made me change my plans.

With 6 years to work on it, you could find things move slower, as there is sooooo much time, but at least you don't have a pressure deadline

You mentioned camper van. Can I pick your brains (& anyone else's). Mum & I have been throwing the idea of camper van / motor home (or whatever they are called) around. I do not want a caravan, but something I can park outside the house would be OK. We could use it as a "spare room" for son & gf, but mostly for us to visit friends without needing to cause them a lot of work. Family & friends who are 200+ miles away could be visited by stopping on the way, elderly family won't need to fuss as we can sleep in the van etc

Yes, I'm getting to the point, honest

I know nothing about camper vans how do I find out anything & what would you suggest as reasonable reliable. I've seen a few advertised, saw a motor home today, but it was LHD & 29 years old!! Mind you, new ones are a fortune

Mostly it would be so the 2 of us could go away for a few days, New Forrest, Devon, Cornwall, further north!! Any suggestions?

That's probably a "how long is a piece of string" question, but as the answer to that is "twice as long as from one end to the middle", I thought it worth seeing if you (as you appear to have one) or anyone else, had any suggestions.

My car mechanical skills are not worth mentioning. As in, I can change a tyre, battery and do usual fluid top ups, but no more.

Somehow missed your last post Sam, sorry. Must have been caught up in St Patrick's Day
    I've had a few camper vans. Lived in one for nearly a year! Many camper vans are LHD - don't let that put you off. It actually, in my opinion makes them easier to drive! Plus they seem to be more desirable if you come to sell on. Also, although a van might be old in years, they are often still low mileage.
    There are dealers all round the UK with a large range of used vehicles so at least buying that way you should get some sort of warranty if you're not confident about buying one privately.
    Look for a diesel one as petrol ones are expensively thirsty. Or is diesel more expensive these days in the UK?! Sorry, have lost touch. Here diesel is cheaper than petrol.

Mum's lost her mojo...

Well, poor Mum seems to be going downhill at a rate of knots.

She's now very reluctant to be got out of bed. The care staff try to encourage her to get up but most of the time Mum dismisses them. Bizarrely she seems to have no concept of the fact that she's still in bed or why that might be considered unusual when it's nearly midday. However, their persistence eventually holds sway and Mum is at least got up for lunch. They are doing their best to mobilise her but there is nothing there to work with.

She has seemingly lost any strength in her limbs - now struggling to lift a cup or put on her glasses. The carers have been having to feed her although she did manage her own porridge this morning. Mum now has to go to the earlier lunch sitting (the one I uncharitably call the dribbly sitting) for those who are unable to feed themselves Plus she's lost her lifelong interest in food.

Her ability to converse (as in hold a small conversation, with back and forth stuff) has gawn. Attention span/short term memory absolute zero.

The care and nursing staff are all aware and being very compassionate yet firm when they need to be. But, in the words of the senior nurse, Mum seems to be "miserable". I wouldn't use that word myself - Mum wasn't expressing sadness, discomfort or aggressiveness - but any remaining get up and go has got up and gone.

Only 6 months ago we were celebrating Mum's 80th birthday here at home with at least some semblance of normality. Only 3 months ago Mum was up and about joining in with the Christmas festivities in the NH. Now she's either wheelchair-bound or bed-bound. The speed of it!

I drove home from visiting today on the verge of tears which, for me, is an unusual state to get in. Then, by the side of the road appeared an elderly man in a woolly hat, hitchhiking. Gave him a lift into town and we had a very deep conversation about illness, death and doctors lol which actually cheered me up immensely. Probably thoroughly depressed him

Somehow missed your last post Sam, sorry. Must have been caught up in St Patrick's Day
    I've had a few camper vans. Lived in one for nearly a year! Many camper vans are LHD - don't let that put you off. It actually, in my opinion makes them easier to drive! Plus they seem to be more desirable if you come to sell on. Also, although a van might be old in years, they are often still low mileage.
    There are dealers all round the UK with a large range of used vehicles so at least buying that way you should get some sort of warranty if you're not confident about buying one privately.
    Look for a diesel one as petrol ones are expensively thirsty. Or is diesel more expensive these days in the UK?! Sorry, have lost touch. Here diesel is cheaper than petrol.
    If I still lived in Essex, I'd take my neighbour along, as he was also my mechanic . I've read a few adverts, lots of rust . As we are now by the sea, that's a pretty big issue if it's already rusty. I'm pretty handy at DIY, so hammerite the bejeebers out if it, but .... it's engines I'm clueless about

I'd agree with the diesel idea, except they are changing road tax so for "year 1" (which seems to mean, when the changes happen), road tax it a massive £1,700. That's a big ouch.

It's always fun when the powers that be change the goal posts. A few years ago they were encouraging everyone to buy diesel, now they want rid

Saw a 29 year old motor home, LHD, with some rust, for £4,200 last week. It had 2 double beds. Mum thought it was too big???? Not sure how she thinks it could be much smaller & still sleep 2 separately.

I'll keep looking. Might see something she likes. I just thought it would be a way of getting her round to see friends & family.

I drove home from visiting today on the verge of tears which, for me, is an unusual state to get in. Then, by the side of the road appeared an elderly man in a woolly hat, hitchhiking. Gave him a lift into town and we had a very deep conversation about illness, death and doctors lol which actually cheered me up immensely. Probably thoroughly depressed him
    Hi HillyBilly

I'm sorry to read about your mums decline, you've done so well for her. She may well rally, so many people do. Don't give in just yet, however, tears are good, let them out. Crying relieves tension. Allegedly it's why women don't suffer as badly from stress as men ... we cry

You gave an old guy a lift, the price of which was getting a bit depressed. You feel better for helping someone. I think you came out on top

Cheers. 🍸. I feel the need for another rum n Coke. Had to find another bottle as I finished this one it's been that kind of a day, but we've an early start in the morning, so crossing fingers that mum settles soon.

Mum actually thanked me for getting her to the Dic's today .... hope the results don't make me regret that

Night all

Volunteer Host

She's now very reluctant to be got out of bed. The care staff try to encourage her to get up but most of the time Mum dismisses them. Bizarrely she seems to have no concept of the fact that she's still in bed or why that might be considered unusual when it's nearly midday. However, their persistence eventually holds sway and Mum is at least got up for lunch. They are doing their best to mobilise her but there is nothing there to work with.

She has seemingly lost any strength in her limbs - now struggling to lift a cup or put on her glasses. The carers have been having to feed her although she did manage her own porridge this morning. Mum now has to go to the earlier lunch sitting (the one I uncharitably call the dribbly sitting) for those who are unable to feed themselves Plus she's lost her lifelong interest in food.

Her ability to converse (as in hold a small conversation, with back and forth stuff) has gawn. Attention span/short term memory absolute zero.

The care and nursing staff are all aware and being very compassionate yet firm when they need to be. But, in the words of the senior nurse, Mum seems to be "miserable". I wouldn't use that word myself - Mum wasn't expressing sadness, discomfort or aggressiveness - but any remaining get up and go has got up and gone.

Only 6 months ago we were celebrating Mum's 80th birthday here at home with at least some semblance of normality. Only 3 months ago Mum was up and about joining in with the Christmas festivities in the NH. Now she's either wheelchair-bound or bed-bound. The speed of it!

Aw, HB, I'm sorry to hear about the deterioration in your mum. Doesn't seem long at all since she was ruling the roost at home with you, chucking mugs of tea at any who displeased her! It's awful how quickly things can change. xx

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

Volunteer Host
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Luvit View Post

Mum actually thanked me for getting her to the Dic's today .... hope the results don't make me regret that

Night all
    [emoji33] [emoji33] Sam!! I hope too the results won't make you regret it! [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app