Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1030
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyA View Post
    Sam!! I hope too the results won't make you regret it!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app
    You're up late LadyA, hope you're ok

I'm trying to be positive that the results will be a simple to fix thing, but my gut is twisting.
    Quitters never win and winners never quit

I'm fine- was stuck in a good book, but my eyes are burning now so have to sleep!
    You're up late too!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyA View Post
    I'm fine- was stuck in a good book, but my eyes are burning now so have to sleep!
    You're up late too!

Struggle to get mum to even start thinking about bed before midnight. Give her an hour to get herself sorted & settle. So it I get to bed by 1 I've done well

It's pretty normal for me to be going to bed at 2 or later, no matter how tired I may be
    Quitters never win and winners never quit

Hello to you all!

HB, I saw your comment on Ann's thread; thank you for your good wishes and the support.

For those who didn't see my update, this past Saturday my mother was discharged from the rehab facility back home to her regular care home. It feels like a long time since February 2, when she fell and broke her kneecap.

She was assessed today by her care home's therapy team, but I haven't heard from them yet (probably will hear Tuesday) about what their proposed therapy plan will be.

I am glad to have her home. She got great care at rehab, but she was bored and still somewhat disoriented. I am hoping the familiar surroundings and faces of her care home, and a return to her routine there, will help with her orientation. Either that, or I will see how far her dementia has progressed, I suppose. As long as she's not upset or agitated or, god forbid, delirious (that hospital-induced delirium is no laughing matter, I can tell you), I guess I don't care where she thinks she is.

In other news, my husband did give me his cold, and I've been sick since about last Thursday. (Those of you who read Molly's thread over in Difficult Feelings know just how sick he was.) I was feeling especially bad Saturday and Sunday, but a bit more human today.

This is good because my husband badgered me until I agreed to go on a holiday. I am joining my sister-in-law and her eldest daughter, my Niece, in New York City for five nights! It's my niece's first time in NYC, and in fact, this is a delayed birthday trip for her 13th birthday. SIL has been to New York once, for a couple of days. I've been there quite a few more times than that, which I guess makes me the (reluctant) expert. Niece is very mature for her age, responsible, studious, and has a good head on her shoulders so we will be fine. (She might be my husband's favourite out of all 11 of the nieces and nephews. I keep telling him we're not meant to have favourites but he doesn't listen.)

For those of you who remember the saga about my FIL last summer, well, Niece's birthday was the day my FIL, her granddad, went into hospital, never to return. And then they got home and my SIL broke both her wrists in a bicycle accident. Yes, this is the same SIL with 4 kids and a puppy I went to my in-laws with last summer, when FIL was dying.

Normally I would be very excited but with the cold and my mother, well, I'm sort of looking forward to it but not quite the way I used to be about travel. (I love to travel and used to travel A LOT...and then dementia happened. I haven't been able to enjoy trips in the same way ever since. Something else dementia has to answer for, I suppose.) Nevertheless, in between blowing my nose and taking cold medicine today I slowly but steadily worked on getting ready to go out of town. I have a couple of errands tomorrow and need to pack, and then I leave Wednesday morning.

Enough about me.

HB, I am sorry to hear about your mum's decline. I hope there isn't anything physical going on (like a blood pressure problem or pain) making her not want to get out of bed. Although if you can't see any signs of discomfort, well, she may just be tired.

I agree that it seems like it's happened so quickly, thinking back through your posts. I hope it's just temporary, but of course you never know. I haven't any advice to offer, just sympathy and lots of trans-Atlantic (((((hugs))))).

Very best wishes to everyone and thank you all for your kindness and support.

HB so sorry to hear about your Mum's decline. It all seems to have come on so rapidly and must be distressing to see. I hope she can be as comfortable as possible. Gx

How sad to hear of your mum's further decline HB. Is she now not talking at all? How upsetting. Is there any chance that some of her meds may be causing too much of a 'chemical cosh'? I've seen my own mum under the influence in hospital and she was greatly affected. I think sometimes it must be hard to know though whether the dementia is progressing or if some of the meds may be causing symptoms too.

I too am usually quite 'tough' and don't cry easily or get too emotional, but am sure I have shed more tears in the past year and a half than over the rest of my life.

I hope you find your mum in a more comfortable state when you next visit.

thanks Marnie x
    No, Mum can still talk, just not converse, if you get what I mean. She is really only repeating something back from what I've just said or something vaguely related or totally unrelated in fact.
    The NH/GP have reduced the dosage of the risperidone to the bare minimum/ I think this is just the nature of the disease's progression.
    How's your Mum? And how are you?

HillyBilly, I'm sorry to read about your mum's decline. It's sad. Hope you are ok. X

Quote Originally Posted by HillyBilly View Post
    thanks Marnie x
    No, Mum can still talk, just not converse, if you get what I mean. She is really only repeating something back from what I've just said or something vaguely related or totally unrelated in fact.
    The NH/GP have reduced the dosage of the risperidone to the bare minimum/ I think this is just the nature of the disease's progression.
    How's your Mum? And how are you?
    I'm OK thanks HB, but some days feel very, very tired. And, of course, am sick of the fact that dementia has taken over my life. I'm also having quite a lot of dental work done at the mo - root canal treatment to come (yippee!) and a few fillings. I used to be very brave at the dentist, no worries about the injections or anything, but I suddenly seem to have become a wimp. I was considering this as I sat in the chair yesterday, my mouth stuffed full of things, and the dentist drilling away, and thought maybe I'm suddenly a wimp because Dementia has drained my reserves.

Mum is still calmish and stable, no great decline, but since the chest infection she's being plagued with conjunctivitis, very red eyes at the moment, but fortunately it doesn't seem to bother her.

I think I'm just feeling particularly low at the moment - the dental treatment is hard to be cheerful about on top of mum's dementia - and then I sat and watched the news yesterday afternoon, and just sat and cried ...

Quote Originally Posted by Marnie63 View Post
    I'm OK thanks HB, but some days feel very, very tired. And, of course, am sick of the fact that dementia has taken over my life. I'm also having quite a lot of dental work done at the mo - root canal treatment to come (yippee!) and a few fillings. I used to be very brave at the dentist, no worries about the injections or anything, but I suddenly seem to have become a wimp. I was considering this as I sat in the chair yesterday, my mouth stuffed full of things, and the dentist drilling away, and thought maybe I'm suddenly a wimp because Dementia has drained my reserves.

Mum is still calmish and stable, no great decline, but since the chest infection she's being plagued with conjunctivitis, very red eyes at the moment, but fortunately it doesn't seem to bother her.

I think I'm just feeling particularly low at the moment - the dental treatment is hard to be cheerful about on top of mum's dementia - and then I sat and watched the news yesterday afternoon, and just sat and cried ...
    Hi Marnie63, sorry to hear you are feeling low. I always feel sorry for myself and a bit sad when visiting the dentist, particularly if I've had an injection. So that (especially root canal treatment) on top of everything would definitely tip the balance. My OH was in London yesterday. Not too close,but close enough to the terrible trouble.....he said you could sense something was happening. Gx