Page 496 of 496 FirstFirst ... 396446486494495496
Results 7,426 to 7,439 of 7439

Thread: So bizarre !

Afternoon all,

Jm, I am so glad that you managed to get away in Big Red but sorry that it was somewhat spoiled by a meltdown

The kitchen fitter came this morning and was in a foul mood. Hubby was going out to play bowls and I went out for a coffee with friend as I didn't want to be alone in flat with fitter! Got back to find he had gone, it doesn't look as if he has actually replaced all units and he certainly has not replaced work surface I think we might end up having to accept this but have notified supplyer and hope they don't put any further work in his way!

It has been very hot here, it was lovely in the pool this morning

Dau has been complaining too hot - she is definitely a glass half empty person at the moment, I had been commenting to OH she was like a dementor (Harry Potter ref) and sucking all the joy and life out of us, so when she stropped on the beach, OH told her this, she stormed back to campsite, and I read book and played boules with OH (part way through game, interrupted by son's requirement that OH help him hunt for crabs in rock pools). Once again overtired, and not enough hydration. I think she has located paddling pool now and filled it up so may be better.

horses sweat, men perspire, ladies merely glow!
    ..... well I'm glowing like a horse!!!
    Maureen.x.

“You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." said Christopher Robin to Pooh. ( AA Milne)

😀😀😀
    Should just relax back on your chaise lounge in a shady part of the garden, Pimms in hand!

JM, hope dau has settled down and not being a Dementor any more! Was the pool a peace offering?

Morning everyone,

JM - wish I'd seen your post to say you were heading to Anglesey, before we went - because that's where we ended up too! We were in Rhosneigr, at a site we have stayed at once before - it was fabulous Where were you? I'm so sorry that the tantrums manged to interupt your break - hoping that now the exams are over, the chat and telling off get through to your girl and she stops the dementor like behaviour! We got caught out by the heat on Saturday too - very deceptive how strong the sun was, with that lovely breeze blowing - dau has sunburned neck and ears, and I really caught it on the back of my shoulders and chest! Dau's last exam is this morning (thank the Lord!) - she was OK-ish whilst we were away, one 'spat' because OH wasn't feeling too good and he was quite naggy - he did snap at her, to be fair, but her reaction was totally OTT and she swore at him, which led to a mini melt down. But, after the last few weeks, it could have been a lot worse!

Slugsta, I don't think, in your shoes, that I would accept the so-called repair job on the kitchen. Kitchens are so expensive, and the fitting is quite a big part of that expense - if you paid the supplier to provide a fitter, then surely he has a responsibility to see that its done to a decent standard? I would be either demanding that the job is done properly - by a different fitter - or demanding enough of a refund to pay myself for a different fitter to come and finish the job!
    I am really glad to read that the oramorph seems to be making your Mum more comfortable - that must be a relief for you, hun x I dread to think of the state cream carpets would be in, if we had them here! Years ago, we replaced all our carpets with wood, laminate and tiles, everywhere in the house apart from the hall, stairs and landing - so much easier to keep clean, especially when the kids were young and with our oldest dog, who is a very hairy mutt!

Spamar, I'm with Maureen - I've been 'glowing like a horse' too, lol I much prefer the heat, though I'm sorry if you and anyone else is struggling with it. I absolutely love hot weather, as long as it comes with sunshine, and isn't just the 'muggy' heat that we can sometimes get.

Amy - hope your lurgy has gone and you are feeling much better now, hun xxxx

As I said, we had a lovely weekend on Anglesey. Fabulous weather and a nice quiet pitch. Due to OH being in work the night before, we didn't set off till quite late, so when we arrived, we just set up dau's wee tent, sorted the van and sat down to a meal I'd mostly prepared before we left. We ended up in bed quite early - but thanks to the smallest dog, I can't say it was a peaceful night! Because it was fairly warm on Friday night, rather than do up the sleeping bags, we just opened them and used them sort of like duvets. 2a.m. and Seamus decided to invent a 'new' game - he would sneak under the cover at the top of the bed, tunnel down to by my feet, pop out of the covers - then gallop back up the bed to repeat the process. Tail wagging, he clearly thought me telling him off was part of the game and took not a blind bit of notice, as he repeated this antic at intervals throughout the night

Saturday morning, we were all awake by 6a.m. - stunning start to the day, such a beautiful place. By 7.30, we'd had a breakfast of scrambled eggs, tomatoes and fried potatoes, and had headed off on the half mile walk alongside the river, to get to the beach - it was gorgeous! Spotted herons and oyster catchers, wee bunnies running everywhere (much to both dogs frustration, they were way to fast to catch ) and once we got to the beach, dau and I spent ages photographing an egret fishing for its breakfast. A little too far away to get the best shots, but we got enough to satisfy us both. By 9.30a.m. we were sat outside a little cafe, me with a welsh cake and coffee, the other two having 'breakfast baps' (veggie version for OH), then a very slow walk back to the camp, via the beach and the sand dunes - OH went ahead, as he was really tired and needed a couple of hours more sleep, but dau and I (and the dogs) took our time and didn't get back to Old Red untill about 1pm. Both dogs and dau then joined OH in sleeping, whilst I sat in the sun with a book and chilled. 3pm, off in Old Red to pick up some supplies, stopping at a couple of places on the way for more photographs, back to camp, then off out again, for tea in a little pizza place in the village - its looks like a sort of greasy spoon type place, but the pizza's are really nice, so we enjoyed our meal. Then another stroll on the beach as the sun started to set, then back to camp for a very early night. Seamus thankfully didn't bother with the tunnel game that night!

Sunday morning started with a stroll along the river, breakfast, then we packed up as we had decided to tour around some of the Island beaches before heading home. As I said, it was at this point that OH (who I am sure has a stomach ulcer!) got naggy, and dau over-reacted, so we had a tense hour or so, with me really cross at both of them, before everyone calmed down, and we actually ended up having a really gorgeous day, around the Island, then heading home along the old coast roads, stopping for tea at 6 in a pub-restaurant we know, before arriving home.

After the last few weeks in work, it was just the tonic I needed - we took our time, stopped when we needed too, so despite the aches and pains, I coped pretty well, which was good. Hopefully, we might (just might) manage to squeeze in another weekend (or mid-week break) before our Rhodes holiday and OH starting his new job

Back to earth with a hump yesterday, and starting to catch up on admin - long day in my hot little office! The plan is to get as much as I can done by Wednesday - and if I've done enough by then, I am taking Thursday off as lieu hours, then start a week's annual leave - must admit, I am sooooooooo looking forward to that, but will enjoy it more if I break the back of the dreaded paperwork first!

Before we left on Friday, I went to see Mil, and found her very disorientated and confused. The staff told me that she had stayed in bed the day before till 2pm, went back to bed at 7pm, and got up at 9.30pm, not going back to bed till 3a.m. As I've said, they don't mind her late nights and long lie-ins, but both are getting later and its effect on Mil is now getting to be an issue, as she seems more confused and more unsteady on her feet, so they are going to try and get her back into a more 'normal' pattern. She was calm when I saw her, but her words were quite muddled and didn't make much sense, she was really 'zonked', almost as though she was half doped - not good. Hoping to go see her later this afternoon, and fingers crossed, she will be a bit brighter then.

Slugsta, you were asking about the sheep? The groups picked a theme for them - one group picked conservation (so ladybirds, catterpillars, flowers, tree's and birds) , the others went for what I called a 'hippy' theme - love hearts, butterflies and flowers The artist brought some pictures for them to copy, but basically, they just got on with it, with the artist or myself guiding them on occasion. Once the students finished, the artists took the sheep away to add details and outlines with special pens - and this turns even the most basic artwork into something really nice. The sheep are then varnished - and that's them finished I'll end by adding a couple of pics of Blodwen and Baaarbara, as they looked when the students had finished with them - Baarbara is the blue, standing sheep, Blodwen the yellow lying down one Then I guess I'd better fire up the laptop and get to work!

Much love to all, as always
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Afternoon all,

Ann, I love the sheep - I bet they will look even better when they have been finished!

Such a shame that you had another difficult visit with MIL I don't envy the staff trying to shift her sleeping/waking patterns!

I am very glad that you had a good time on Anglesey, it was well deserved. Am also very glad that your daughter's exams are now over - I hope both you and Jm get some respite from the tantrums now!

Son has gone to Cannes today for the ad festival (although he doesn't have anything up for an award this year). He will be doing a lot of 'networking' as has just left his employment to go free-lance - it sounds like a good old jolly to me! He has just found out that the friend he is going with has won an helicopter ride from Cannes back to Nice after the festival, so they will be leaving in style

It is still very hot here - but I really shouldn't compain! We are very lucky to live in such a lovely area and at least the flat is cool

Hi, hope son enjoys his jolly, Slugsta. Sounds great to me! Although maybe a bit hotter over there, so maybe not!
    Glad both JM and Ann had a good weekend, hope your sunburn isn't too bad!
    Yes, love the sheep, did I see in the paper someone, somewhere is doing the same with otters? That sounds good, ahhhhh!

Well, the gas boiler man has been, twice, to service the boiler, where I knew there was a leak. He's fixed it, but coming back later in the week to check everything.
    The plumber has eventually been, but needs the correct part to cure the leaky tap. Gone are the days when every washer fitted everything! Not sure whether it's ceramic, either. So he will be back. (We find the makers name, he took a photo of the tap, and he sends that to the firm. Ain't technology wonderful! Sweep coming tomorrow for annual chimney clean. I usually have it done earlier than this, but better late that never! Just need to take the logs that look pretty out of the wood burner!
    Also I have a small pool from which the birds can bathe and drink. Ages ago the pump went and today it's finally been fixed 👍👍👍. And the first thing we saw was a green dragonfly, never seen one here before! Plus I have had loads of birds on nearby feeders all day, though a jackdaw has just arrived, not so keen as it tends to swipe all the fat balls!
    Weather not so hot today, fortunately. However, after supervising the gardening this morning, then going to the bank, then a coffee, by the time I got to the supermarket I could barely walk and was a bit shaky - perhaps a tremor in the hand/arm a better description. It's happened before, but I'm reckoning it was the tiredness. However, the shop I use, 4 miles away, is further inland and it seemed hotter with a higher RH than here.
    I was chatting to some of the people who work at the local cafe, and between two of the they knew everyone I've seen recently. Think I've been here long enough, eleven years, to know the community!
    Have a good evening, one and all.

Quick pop in to say I stayed near Rhoscolyn, we had lunch in Rhosneigr on Sunday (Chaplin's cafe), which is a 12 mile bike ride, but probably only 4 or 5 mile across the sea. Based on description of walking along river to beach I assume it was the campsite near the golf club/railway line.

We have been using the same campsite since 1990. We stayed until gone 8 on sunday night hoping to avoid the traffic home.

PS I love the sheep, dau has made cakes for son's birthday tomorrow and cookies for cake sale at work on Friday - we're raising money for cystic fibrosis as girl I sit next to has a 3 month old with it.
    Last edited by jugglingmum; 20-06-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Morning all,

Hope your son enjoys his 'jolly' in Cannes, Slugsta - the helicopter ride sounds fab! And I hope he gets lots of successful networking done, in between enjoying himself

Sounds like you have been very busy, Spamar - I really hope that the aches and pains are not bad after all you have had going on, hun. We have a family of 3 Jackdaws that visit our feeders regularly, but only very brief visits each time - I actually really like them, I think that they are the most handsome of all the corvids, love photographing them when I get the chance. Ours seem really shy, tend to land, grab a beakful of the suet coconut - and shoot off again. The starlings are my greedy bunch, and I've counted groups of up to 17 birds around the feeders this year - a suet coconut barely lasts a day with them, and I have to hang two - one that the starlings can reach, and one at the end of a curly bit of iron work on the feeder, that means the feeding bird has to perch actually on the coconut - and the starlings are too heavy for that, which means my blue tits, great tits, dunnocks, sparrows and robin get a chance at some food!

I think you might mean the Dartmoor Otters? On The Moor Otter Trail? Yes, I've seen images of them - stunning art works, really beautiful Unlike the sheep trail here, where for the most part the art work on the sheep is created with an artist working with community groups, like schools, day care centres, the scouts, etc, (though one or two organisations who have commissioned one have insisted that the artist does all the work herself) the moor otters are painted solely by individual artists. Oddly enough, the artist I've been working with only went to see them a couple of weeks ago, and we were looking at some of the photographs she took, when we were working on our sheep

I don't think we have stayed in or been to Rhoscolyn, JM. The site we were at (which we have stayed in a couple of times now) is called Shoreside - its on the edge of the airforce base, which means that on weekdays you can watch the jets taking off and landing - we have only stayed there over weekend so far, but I'd love to go mid week and try my hand at photographing the jets. The site actually has a viewing area where you get to see the jets very clearly

A big Happy Birthday to your Son - I hope he had a fantastic day

Daugter came home from her last exam noticeably more chilled - aside from leavers day, which she wants to go to, that's it for her and that awful school! I'm so relieved - and I would imagine that the relief for her is even greater. The latest Estyn report on the school says that it is failing the GCSE students badly - huh, I could have told them that!

OH and I went to visit Mil on Tuesday afternoon, dau met us there after she finished the last exam. Mil was more alert (sort of) than the last visit, but both OH and I noticed that more and more she is saying things that don't make sense. I guess you could argue that previously, there hasn't been a lot of logic or sense in her confabulations - but what she has said has been understandable, properly formed senteces, etc. Both OH and I have noticed now that words are jumbled and the sentences sometimes don't make sense - for example she said something about '- - - doing the Dublin thing in Limerick', and it was clearly a question judging by her tone - but it made no sense, the first couple of words were unintelligible, so how to answer it? Whatever the first couple of words were, they obviously made sense to her if not to us. Occasionally she just can't 'find' a word she is looking for though - and has a tendency to look to me to provide it, which is not easy especially when what she is saying makes little sense anyway. However, although we had a lot of 'Come on - time we were going now', each time she said something along those lines we simply 'reminded' her that we had to go and do the shopping and would be back for her 'later' and she accepted it with no upset, so in that respect, it was an easy visit. We stayed about 3/4 of an hour, left when the staff started serving food (as always, she is so interested in the food when it arrives, that its by far the easiest and less stress free way, for her and us, if we take our leave at that point).

A couple of you asked about the prison? OH hasn't mentioned it to Mil - a fairly safe bet that if he did, she would immediatly build fantasy's around the negativity of the word - I think that this particular 'theme', which rears its head now and again, stems from when she was in the hospital. If we visited with dau, because dau was under 16 at the time, we had to use the 'family room' - a horrid, narrow, drab little room that Mil quite often (and understandably) thought was a prison cell.

OH just narrowly missed passing the assessment the first time he went for this job. He re-took it, passed with flying colours - but by then, the prison had the number of new officers it needed for the first part of the prison opening. They offered him a job either in a different prison - where the travel involved would have been difficult to say the least, or a job as a support officer in the new priosn, which would have been a big drop in pay. Because he was offered the job in childrens services at the same time, with the promise of studying for more qualifications, he went for that - but the promised training has never materialised, the issues over job security that were a feature in adult services then became an issue in his new post, which combined with the erratic nature of the shifts meant he was back in the same old situation again. He waited till the prison was ready to take on a new 'wave' of trainee's, applied again, had to take the assessment again - and passed with even higher marks that time - and now its all moving forward. On Monday, he spent a few hours at the prison, an 'orientation' evening, and is convinced he is doing the right thing accepting the post. I agree 100% (though it's niggling at the back of my mind that this new job is potentially quite dangerous!) - he needs a new challenge, and he needs to be away from the cloud of uncertainty that he has now worked under for about 5 years.

After we'd visited Mil on Tuesday, we decided (spur of the moment) to head off down the coast for a fish and chips tea on the beach - the weather was so gorgous, it seemed a shame not to take advantage. We ended up in Prestatyn again, where we were treated to the most amazingly beautiful 'golden hour' as the sun started to set - the colours and the light were just amazing, so I'm adding one of the photographs I took

Love to all, and Amy - hope you are feeling better now xxxxx
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That photo is fabulous Ann! A real golden hour!
    Not doing that much, it's just stretching what I can do, which is getting less. One evening I was so sore I didn't know where to put myself, all joints aching, even the metal ones, and some non-joints, like half way down my arm! Wouldn't have any alcohol cos it was so hot, it would have made me worse!
    Don't think there has been much rain here, the pond hasn't filled much after two days evaporation! But I went out and it did rain there OK and I was not a happy bunny when someone pulled out in front of me. Had to brake sharply, and that on a newly wet road after a dry spell is not good! Don't they teach learners any common sense? Just stopped myself getting in touch with stepgranddau who has just passed her test!
    Good luck to everyone, hope the day is not too tiring!

Utterly beautiful photo Ann! I am so glad you are getting time for enjoyment, it is so well earned

Spamar, I am sad to know that you are in so much pain

Morning all,

Apologies for my absense - wouldn't you know it, I'm taking a weeks leave - and I am rotten with a dreadful cold and sore throat! Typical

Oh Spamar, I really hope the pain has eased for you! Awful when it causes that not knowing what to do withyourself feeling. I get the odd night like that, and it's horrible. Since Wednesday last week, the weather round here has gone much cooler - hoping its the same for you, and that if it is, its made things a little more comfortable for you xxxx

Hello Slugsta, JM, Maureen, Amy , R Anne and everyone else - all very quiet here and I have fingers and toes crossed that it means that you are all having an equally quiet, calm and stress free time at the moment xxxx

I finished work on Thursday afternoon, having done more than I thought I would (as regards the admin) though certainly not totally caught up. I then got a phone call from my boss on Friday, just to check all was OK, she congratulated me on surpassing all of this first years targets - and told me about an event coming up that - because of the photography - it looks like I'm going to be heavily involved in! It sounds fun, and right up my street - but, slightly worried how I will keep up with everything else and do that too!

Thursday and Friday were mainly spent in putting the house back to rights after pretty much 4 weeks of neglect. I think I possibly avoided Kin and Aggie doing a TV special on me, by the skin of my teeth! (For Amy's benefit - Kim and Aggie used to host a TV programme which featured so called 'ordinary' people who had let their homes get into a real mess - Kim and Aggie would wade in and basically teach them how to keep everything clean!). I felt better once the house was comfy again, and then on Friday night, oldest dau and her OH arrived to stay for the weekend, which was lovely. Saturday night, we did a run to the coast (this fish and chips at the sea sde is getting to be a habit ) and Sunday morning, despite a light rain, we had a wander round a huge car boot sale, before they headed home.

On Saturday afternoon, oldest and I went to visit Mil. Initially, I don't think that Mil had a clue who dau was Usually, she knows dau's name, even if she is a bit shakey on exactly how they are related, and always before she has greeted her with delight. This time, you could see the uncertainty on her face - she sort of recognised dau, but clearly didn't know how she knew her. After a few minutes, though, things started to fall into place for her - though it was very odd. She suddenly asked dau had she been to the place 'Where you can't speak and you don't speak?' . For a few seconds, I put this down to one of Mil's confused sentences, but then it suddenly struck me that I knew what she meant. I asked her did she mean Coventry? Got a beaming smile, and a 'That's right' in response. A big part of me was absolutely stunned that Mil had somehow dredged up this information - Dau moved to Coventry less than a year ago, so for Mil to somehow remember that (even if she couldn't quite get the actual word 'Coventry') struck me as pretty amazing.

Dau was then questioned about where she was living, and she produced some pics on her phone to show Mil her flat, and in doing so referred to her OH a couple of times. Mil suddenly sharply asked did he live in the flat too? And at dau's confirmation, Mil drew herself up and in shocked tones informed dau that this was a 'Sin'. Oops - she clearly wsn't happy. Dau tried cajoling her Nan into a smile, giving her a hug and asking 'Will you forgive me though, Nan?'. Mil gave her a scathing look and told her 'Well I might - but the Lord won't'!

Trying to change the subject, Dau asked Mil what she had been up to lately. One of the passing staff informed us (with a twinkle in her eye) that Mil had been out clubbing. It turns out that 'going clubbing with the girls' (or going to the 'hop' or going to the 'pub' is currently a big feature of Mils confabulations). This led onto talk of dancing, and how Mil likes to jive - which led to Mil giving us a demonstration of the hand jive. Only after a few seconds of the more recognisable 'moves' Mil suddenly threw in an incredibly obscene gesture, that had dau and I nearly collapsing with shock. Both dau and I started to laugh - it one of those instances when it was impossible not to - and Mil looked completely bamboozled. "Thats' one of my own moves that I put in" she haughtily informed us "don't you ever do that when you are jiving?". She really didn't have a clue why we were laughing and had no idea that the gesture she had made was so extremely rude. I honestly don't know if she had remembered the gesture from somewhere (Though heaven knows from where!) and just forgotten what it really signified, or if it was just sheer chance that she had happened to make that particular hand movement. Either way, it was certainly unexpected

After about 35 minuts, we started to get the 'Come on - its time we were going!' loop from Mil, which built in intensity quickly, so we made a move, with the usual excuse of how we would be back for her later. In the car, dau commented that Mil had definitely deteriorated since she last saw her (which was several weeks ago) but added that she was still a 'fiesty so and so, wasn't she?'.

Saturday night my throat started to hurt, and by yesterday morning, I felt awful - all bunged up and achey. This morning, its a bit worse - and I am totally fed up, as I have a lot of plans for this week, including a zoo visit to see if I can spot the latest arrival - a baby spectacled bear! OH was also feeling ropey by last night, so I suspect its going to end up being a very quiet week I'll have to check in on Mil by phone, as no way am I going to risk carrying this lurgy in to her and the other residents.

Take care, and much love to all, as always xxxxx

Morning, Ann, I totally suspect that your unbearably untidy is my tidy! So don't be too worried! I don't think I've ever, ever, taken two days to tidy up!
    So sorry about your throat, though. Hope you are well into your fav cure! These thing often happen as soon as you relax, there must be a physiological reason.
    Odd, isn't it, the connections people make? I've never thought of Coventry in that way, though I know the saying. So for mil to make the connection, then remember it applied to one particular grand dau is amazing! Along the lines that pwd remember the things you would prefer them to forget! And vice versa, of course!
    Sat/sun was a bit cooler here, bit easier for me, thank goodness! It's bight sun at the moment though I don't think the temp is going to be so high as last week. Also not much wind to blow dust and pollen around, another plus! Though looking at the fields, the barley is nearly ready for combining, more dust! It's mostly barley for malting here, keeps the beer drinkers happy!
    Haven't really done very much, kept up with a bit of sport, so pleased NZ are well ahead in the Admirals Cup, sorry the Lions lost, really pleased for Steve Cummings in the cycling, winning the time trial and the road race ( send congrats from me, JM). Don't do football, getting confused with all the teams muddled! Gave up just after I moved to the Midlands when I was 18!
    Must go and finish tidying and get yesterday's recycling out.
    Have a good day, everybody!
    Last edited by Spamar; 26-06-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Evening all,

Ann, I am so sorry that you are feeling poorly in your holiday As Spamar said, there are physiological reasons for this - but that will be of scant consolation to you! (((huggs)))

How clever of MIL to remember that your eldest lives in Coventry and to find a way of telling you what she meant (clever of you to catch on to her meaning too)!

Spamar, it is a bit coller here (although still very nice), I do hope you are feeliong generally better.

We had a rather stressful weekend as little cat has been poorly. She seems much better now but is due for another blood test tomorrow. This will go to a specialist lab and should tell us whether Sky had an infection of some osrt or has a rather unpleasant condition

Spamar, Jm, Amy, RedLou et al - I do hope that you are all well and enjoying the 'summer'.