Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "They are listed as a phone entry in my diary under names which are obvious only to me not to be real.
    I've generated a phone number into it as well,to make it seem 'real' if even my diary gets stolen.
    Although,my writing is scrawl so I doubt anyone would be able to read it"

And if the diary gets stolen, what do you do?
    Your only option appears to be to try to generate specific passwords from your base password.

After a few guesses you either get locked out for a short time or with financial sites have to go through a process of proving you are actually you, at the best an OTP (one time password) to your mobile, at the worst a few days delay waiting for the post.

Norton software password vault

Quote Originally Posted by Saffie View Post
    You still have to remember that though so how can they be retained in a safe way?

I use many different ones and confess I have them listed in hard copy.
    Some less important ones are the same but any that are connected to finance in any way, no matter how loosely, stand alone.
    I just hope that anyone who burgles my house isn't a computer hacker too!
    It is often said that music/singing is a good way to remember things and that is what works for me. I don't know why but some passwords 'stick' better than others and one never knows which they will be. I still remember a password generated by a bulletin board that I haven't used since I finished work 3 years ago.

Of course it goes beyond passwords as, for additional security, many sites expect you to remember the answers to questions you answered when you first signed up, ask you to give 3 characters out of a 'secret' word and/or digits from a PIN. When it gets this complicated it is best to have some kind of backup so I have mine written down (not in full but with enough information to prompt me) in a password protected file - the problems here are that I still have to remember at least one password and that it could be hacked quite easily. It is also not much use if my laptop is inaccessible for some reason.

I have had some security issues which were almost certainly due to use of my smartphone for internet and email access. Since I stopped doing that things have been OK ...

Quote Originally Posted by northumbrian_k View Post
    It is often said that music/singing is a good way to remember things and that is what works for me. I don't know why but some passwords 'stick' better than others and one never knows which they will be. I still remember a password generated by a bulletin board that I haven't used since I finished work 3 years ago.

Of course it goes beyond passwords as, for additional security, many sites expect you to remember the answers to questions you answered when you first signed up, ask you to give 3 characters out of a 'secret' word and/or digits from a PIN. When it gets this complicated it is best to have some kind of backup so I have mine written down (not in full but with enough information to prompt me) in a password protected file - the problems here are that I still have to remember at least one password and that it could be hacked quite easily. It is also not much use if my laptop is inaccessible for some reason.

I have had some security issues which were almost certainly due to use of my smartphone for internet and email access. Since I stopped doing that things have been OK ...
    I use short sentences for pin numbers etc. in acronym form and find that works well. I've always done this for exams etc too. It doesn't help with passwords though especially with over 50 of them - and those are just the ones I have written down!
    "Sometimes you will never know the value of something, until it becomes a memory.” Dr. Seuss