Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    17

    Some involuntary movements making me worried about CJD

    Hello everybody. I am a 23 year old male from Ireland. I have just finished college and am currently trying to get work. One thing that has bothered me recently was the fact that I have had some involuntary movements. These movements haven't been very significant, just small twitches in calf muscle of legs occasionally as well as one time where my thumb moved.

    These have made me feel concerned about the possibility that I may have CJD. I have severe death anxiety for some reason and it would be good if there was advice people here could offer with regards how to calm down and how to determine whether or not I actually do have CJD.

    All responses appreciated.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,542
    I am not sure how much we can help you here with this, as it's quite specialised. We are carers of people with dementia and personally I don't know much about CJD, but if muscle twitches are your only symptom, it's unlikely to be that. It's also a very rare disease that comes with a whole host of symptoms, none of which you mention.

    The first advice for anyone worrying about a particular disease is always to make an appointment with their GP, as they are more qualified to determine what's going on. It could be something as simple as stress or a vitamin deficiency (magnesium, vitamin D, calcium).

    So stop driving yourself mad with unlikely diseases and get yourself checked over.
    Just keep swimming!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Beate View Post
    I am not sure how much we can help you here with this, as it's quite specialised. We are carers of people with dementia and personally I don't know much about CJD, but if muscle twitches are your only symptom, it's unlikely to be that. It's also a very rare disease that comes with a whole host of symptoms, none of which you mention.

    The first advice for anyone worrying about a particular disease is always to make an appointment with their GP, as they are more qualified to determine what's going on. It could be something as simple as stress or a vitamin deficiency (magnesium, vitamin D, calcium).

    So stop driving yourself mad with unlikely diseases and get yourself checked over.
    Yeah, that probably should have been my first course of action rather than asking the internet. Seems a bit better than just waiting and dealing with anxiety (which creates its own set of symptoms anyway)

    Edit: the only other real symptom that occurred was a brief feeling of pins and needles in my right hand, but that subsided and I haven't felt any tingling since.
    Last edited by fishmahboi; 16-07-2017 at 03:38 PM.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmahboi View Post
    Hello everybody. I am a 23 year old male from Ireland. I have just finished college and am currently trying to get work. One thing that has bothered me recently was the fact that I have had some involuntary movements. These movements haven't been very significant, just small twitches in calf muscle of legs occasionally as well as one time where my thumb moved.

    These have made me feel concerned about the possibility that I may have CJD. I have severe death anxiety for some reason and it would be good if there was advice people here could offer with regards how to calm down and how to determine whether or not I actually do have CJD.

    All responses appreciated.

    Please make an appointment with a doctor.

    Aisling( Ireland)

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmahboi View Post
    Hello everybody. I am a 23 year old male from Ireland. I have just finished college and am currently trying to get work. One thing that has bothered me recently was the fact that I have had some involuntary movements. These movements haven't been very significant, just small twitches in calf muscle of legs occasionally as well as one time where my thumb moved.

    These have made me feel concerned about the possibility that I may have CJD. I have severe death anxiety for some reason and it would be good if there was advice people here could offer with regards how to calm down and how to determine whether or not I actually do have CJD.

    All responses appreciated.

    Me again! How on earth have you decided to worry about CJD? You have just finished college. You are tired. Go to doctor asap. He / she will be able to figure out what is wrong.

    Aisling

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
    Me again! How on earth have you decided to worry about CJD? You have just finished college. You are tired. Go to doctor asap. He / she will be able to figure out what is wrong.

    Aisling

    Sorry, I should clarify that I finished in may. The reason for the scare was that it seemed uncontrollable andy first thought was CJD. I know it is a little ridiculous, but reading about the symptoms and seeing twitching as being one of them was frightening.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmahboi View Post
    Sorry, I should clarify that I finished in may. The reason for the scare was that it seemed uncontrollable andy first thought was CJD. I know it is a little ridiculous, but reading about the symptoms and seeing twitching as being one of them was frightening.
    Of course it is frightening. You are not being ridiculous. Make app tomorrow please and post when you have done so. Yes, I tend to worry about people. So let us know you are ok.

    Aisling

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
    Of course it is frightening. You are not being ridiculous. Make app tomorrow please and post when you have done so. Yes, I tend to worry about people. So let us know you are ok.

    Aisling
    Thanks will do so during the week. Would a twitch suggest CJD or would it need to be accompanied by more symptoms?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmahboi View Post
    Thanks will do so during the week. Would a twitch suggest CJD or would it need to be accompanied by more symptoms?

    No. Lots of symptoms I believe. Dont go searching on Internet!!!

    Aisling

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,542
    I thought you had read up on it?

    "Early on symptoms include memory problems, behavioral changes, poor coordination, and visual disturbances. Later dementia, involuntary movements, blindness, weakness, and coma occur."

    Had any of the early symptoms? Plus, CJD is a fast developing disease - I doubt you would just have one symptom for any length of time.
    Just keep swimming!

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    17
    [QUOTE=Beate;1430018]I thought you had read up on it?

    "Early on symptoms include memory problems, behavioral changes, poor coordination, and visual disturbances. Later dementia, involuntary movements, blindness, weakness, and coma occur."

    Had any of the early symptoms? Plus, CJD is a fast developing disease - I doubt you would just have one symptom for any length of time.[/QUOTe

    No real problems apart from somewhat shaky hands and calf muscles (likely due to anxiety). Did have a small headache that lasted few seconds, but apart from that I've been fine

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    234
    Hi

    Sounds like an obvious one but do you drink a lot of water?

    Dehydration can cause all sorts of strange things, including mussel spasms, twitches, tingling sensations, headaches and nausea etc.

    I have Addison's Disease and before it was finally diagnosed, I had all of the above ++.
    I though that I had MS or something similar but the fact that my adrenal glands were being attacked by my immune system, meant that for around 18 months, I had been slowly dehydrating, as my body was affected by the lack of hormones required to maintain the necessary electrolytes, hormones etc.

    I am now very conscious about keeping myself and my wife (who has dementia) well hydrated.

    As others have said, your GP should be able to run the necessary blood test to hopefully see what's wrong and put your mind at rest.

    Good luck.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    Hi

    Sounds like an obvious one but do you drink a lot of water?

    Dehydration can cause all sorts of strange things, including mussel spasms, twitches, tingling sensations, headaches and nausea etc.

    I have Addison's Disease and before it was finally diagnosed, I had all of the above ++.
    I though that I had MS or something similar but the fact that my adrenal glands were being attacked by my immune system, meant that for around 18 months, I had been slowly dehydrating, as my body was affected by the lack of hormones required to maintain the necessary electrolytes, hormones etc.

    I am now very conscious about keeping myself and my wife (who has dementia) well hydrated.

    As others have said, your GP should be able to run the necessary blood test to hopefully see what's wrong and put your mind at rest.

    Good luck.
    Actually, no I don't drink a lot of water. I tend to drink soft drinks occasionally since I'm trying to lose weight and doing it very badly (used to buy stuff like greek yoghurt and watered down cheap cola, but I don't have money myself anymore).

    I'm definitely planning on seeing the doctor at the end of this week. The reason for this is that I want to wait and see if anymore symptoms develop over time. So far nothing new has happened since Sunday. In fact, the twitching in my hands and legs occur with less frequency and only really happen when I get nervous.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    17

    CJD panic update

    Went to the doctor and he said that everything was ok and to update him if anything new happens in the next two weeks.

    Symptoms subsided recently, had some really bad tremors and shaking during the day yesterday, but during the night they subsided.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,807
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmahboi View Post
    Went to the doctor and he said that everything was ok and to update him if anything new happens in the next two weeks.

    Symptoms subsided recently, had some really bad tremors and shaking during the day yesterday, but during the night they subsided.

    Am so glad you went to the doctor.

    Aisling

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •