Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
    All I can do is send you huge support.

Aisling xxxx
    Thank you , it means a lot

Joolie,

I think I would be very cross having seen what the second consultant had written. Are you seeing them again? Honestly, as though you haven't got enough on your plate!

Firstly, get all the documentation, should you have it, regarding the disks and bursitis. At least get the dates down. Should you be seeing the consultant again - God help him - ask him to explain. I'd also double check the patient name and ask for details to be double checked just in case someone else's notes have been misfiled.

Have your notes, should you have time type them up, of the comments your husband made and the issues in walking et etc. As much as you can remember in chronological order including your poor husband (and poor you) saying he was contemplating suicide. On a vaguely positive side, the consultant may just have confused your husband with another patient. Otherwise, he is incompetent.

If you feel up to it get PALS involved. There may also be an Alzheimer Soc contact in hospital. They may be able to be an advocate for you. Otherwise, I would be writing a firm but direct letter to the most senior person in the hospital requesting an explanation. No wonder you have not been getting any action.

Also insist on receiving a copy of any notes send to your GP. How come you have been bypassed?

Anything you write needs to be copied to your GP.

Should you not get any joy I would suggest writing to Jeremy Hunt, Minister for Health. I am appalled.

I am sure other calmer and more knowledgeable heads will post as well.
    Last edited by Oh Knickers; 18-07-2017 at 05:53 PM.

As the face to face assessment is already booked I would submit the first assessment and just leave the inaccurate one at home. Tell them that things have progressed since that report. If you dont get it, put in for an appeal and go and see someone like Citizens Advice for help.
    Learning to sing in a cage

New User

Thank you for your response

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Knickers View Post
    Joolie,

I think I would be very cross having seen what the second consultant had written. Are you seeing them again? Honestly, as though you haven't got enough on your plate!

Firstly, get all the documentation, should you have it, regarding the disks and bursitis. At least get the dates down. Should you be seeing the consultant again - God help him - ask him to explain. I'd also double check the patient name and ask for details to be double checked just in case someone else's notes have been misfiled.

Have your notes, should you have time type them up, of the comments your husband made and the issues in walking et etc. As much as you can remember in chronological order including your poor husband (and poor you) saying he was contemplating suicide. On a vaguely positive side, the consultant may just have confused your husband with another patient. Otherwise, he is incompetent.

If you feel up to it get PALS involved. There may also be an Alzheimer Soc contact in hospital. They may be able to be an advocate for you. Otherwise, I would be writing a firm but direct letter to the most senior person in the hospital requesting an explanation. No wonder you have not been getting any action.

Also insist on receiving a copy of any notes send to your GP. How come you have been bypassed?

Anything you write needs to be copied to your GP.

Should you not get any joy I would suggest writing to Jeremy Hunt, Minister for Health. I am appalled.

I am sure other calmer and more knowledgeable heads will post as well.
    Thank you for your reply you helped me by confirming it wasn't just me over reacting ! I have put in a complaint today via PALS . . And yes we are due to see the same consultant on the 16th August 17 ! I'm hoping before then I will have had some further response from PALS They have already let me know that they are going to investigate the matter . .

New User

I take my hat off !

Having just had his face to face assessment , which was an ordeal from start to finish . I take my hat off to all of you other wives , partners, carers out there that have either been through this process or are going through it now and are managing to keep your heads above water . Up until now I felt like I was paddling at 100 miles an hour under water to keep my own head above water. But since the assessment I'm not doing that either ! I had prepared myself (or I thought I had ) for assessment day and I was ready to fully support my husband . However what I wasn't ready for was two things .. first was the fact that the questions were incessant and twisted one way and another to the point that the interpretation of what we were actually trying to tell them was in tatters !and secondly as my husbands support for HIS . assessment . I HAD NOT EXPECTED TO be personally accused and held to count for what is happening in our family home !!! I was asked if I really left him in the family home on his own all day whilst I went to work in the state that he was presenting he should have someone there ; because my husband sleeps endlessly he very rarely eats or drinks whilst I am out of the house so theassessorthen asked what my working hours are before launching into another attach towards me of didn't I realize how dangerous it is that he doesn't eat or drink ,leaving him like that I was putting him at risk of kidney failure .; I also was criticized because he wasn't on medication for dementia , why hadn't I insisted and got him other referrals . We both came out of there feeling vulnerable and on my part distraught about the way I was failing my husband . . I am also 99.9% certain because of the way the questions were manipulated that we have also failed with our claim for PIPS , SO THE WAITING GOES ON ! And then summoning up the energy to appeal when your ,know what they're just going to hit you with more of the same !!!!

Hi Joolie,

Coo-er. That sounds like major **** shuffling. Putting the blame on you rather than the powers that be accepting their responsibility. (Sorry, hope language not too ripe) Blimey O'Reilley. Poor you.

Write down as much as you can remember - if you can - point by point and names of those who were there. Build up your case in terms of answers. You have to go out to work to support the family. Your husband is only 54 and your retirement age has just been raised. Would it be the same if it was a man having to support his family?. As the consultant's letters were not forwarded to you ?or your GP? (Is that the Case?) you have struggled to get any movement or support. How dare they land it at your door and accuse you when you have struggled to get any support or movement support!

Crikey. I am speechless. How awful for you.

Umm. I would do a call to Alzheimers Society - like now. This is a challenge and a half!
    Last edited by Oh Knickers; 20-07-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Oh dear. Im sorry, but I am not surprised

Once you get the result, if he has not got the PIP you have (I think) a month to appeal - make sure you get it in within time. Go and see someone like Citizens Advice or Age UK who can help you with the form filling - they know the "buzz words" to use and know how to phrase things in the right way and they can also advise about what evidence to use. Good luck - I really dont know how people who havent got someone to fight their corner survive.
    Learning to sing in a cage

Joolie,

Just checking on you. How are you at the moment?

Joolie, I've just read all of your posts and the comments. I was in a terrible state when trying to get my husband diagnosed and got fantastic help from VOCAL. Not sure if it's available in all areas, they are there to support carers and absolutely took the pressure off me.

Helped with form filling, also phone me regularly just for a chat. They will also liaise with the memory clinic if I need things clarified.

Don't do it all yourself grap support and you will see things improve all be it slowly.

Take care of yourself.