Thread: Confused

New User

Confused

I've had Genetic testing and found out that I have Apoe e4e4. I learned that each of my parents past down an e4 and has put myself at a great risk for Alzheimer's. I'm confused because neither of my parents have Alzheimer's. They both have Dementia and are both 85 years old. How can this be? Hoping someone can explain this to me.

I don't know much about genetic testing but dementia is the umbrella term for all forms of dementia, one of which is Alzheimer's. Which form do your parents have?
    Just keep swimming!

I have just been listening to a podcast called The Health Report on Aust. Broadcasting Comm. about this and it seems so far that they don't know why but not every body who carries this gene necessarily develops AD. Not every one who develops amyloid gunk in their brains develops AD and they are still trying to work that one out too. They talked about the risk factors such as high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity etc and are starting to think that it is a combination of these rather than one particular risk that does the most damage. They seemed to be looking at the effect of obesity at middle age as being the biggest contributor.

So hopefully if your parents haven't developed it then whatever it is that has protected them will also protect you. And do what we all should be doing - live a healthy lifestyle, and make the most of your life right now.

Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Isaac Asimov