Quote Originally Posted by Josiec View Post
My husband was diagnosed with Dementia 3yrs ago, but no referral by a Consultant was advised until this year when the Consultant confirmed Alzeimers, he is 85yrs old, and I am his sole carer,we have advisory help from Admiral Nurses, and Social Services, but as my husband was in total denial and refused help offered, the situation is at crisis point, and I can no longer cope, feel totally exhausted, and at breaking point, I have been offered respite week ends, but my husband refuses to accept any one to sit with him, attend respite days with other sufferers., and causes problems when I have to go out shopping or even a walk, or visit friends. I receive no financial help whatsoever, have applied for Attendance Allowance 3months ago, still waiting for response. I have also requested Alzeimers drugs, which have also been denied due to his age. Any advise any one how on earth am I expected to cope.?? Josiec.
Hi Josie. I'm sorry things are so difficult for you at the moment.
Can I suggest you contact the Dementia Helpline, who are a fountain of knowledge! They can be contacted on 0300 222 1122 or by email at helpline@alzheimers.org.uk.

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

People with dementia rarely want carers or "sitters" coming in. It's something new and different, and therefore something they don't know how to deal with, so the automatic response is to reject it, and insist on only the familiar face being there! However, if you become ill, or get burned out, then who will take care of your husband? I'd chase up the Attendance Allowance too. It is an important "flag" to SS, from what I understand, that your husband is vulnerable.