Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Experts excited by brain "wonder-drug"

Just sharing from today's news:
    http://www.bbc.com/news/health-39641123

Fingers crossed & praying hard.

There is always hope that a new treatment for a disease will be found but experience has taught me to approach these announcements cautiously.

Research has never been and never will be an overnight answer to anything but while the research goes on we have hope. Hopefully coming generations will not have to go through what we are all going through now either as a person with the diagnosis or someone caring.
    Jay

Volunteer Moderator and former Carer.

Feelings are much like waves, we can't stop them from coming but we can chose which ones to surf.

In the words of a song. "Wouldn' it be lurverly "...

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Hopefully they will get the ball rolling on this soon, would be great to have progress in the treatment of this horrible illness.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Trazodone is an existing drug (used for depression) and the new drug DBM is derived from liquorice (I think). So I wonder if the sales of liquorice products will now increase.....I expect the active ingredient in DBM is many times stronger that standard liquorice though.

Ah, this is a mouse study.
    And, so far, there have been no drugs for dementia that worked in mice that also worked on humans.
    This might be the exception though ...........
    Learning to sing in a cage

I think it was one of those that my Dad had the night before he was admitted to hospital with acute kidney failure, although fingers crossed for everyone they help many people in teh future

We're right to be cautious.

However having said that, anything which augurs well for our own futures and our children/ spouses not having to cope with this dreadful is to be welcomed. Especially if, as they say, we're going to live longer and as we are all aware, dementia's later stages are definitely not 'quality of life'.
    Last edited by lemonjuice; 20-04-2017 at 01:33 PM.

I'd be interested to hear from people whose 'carees' are already taking Trazodone. It's being prescribed to receive sleep and mood issues as far as I can see - but based on this latest news, it's fascinating to think it might also be treating their AZ in some way.
    Last edited by Amelie5a; 21-04-2017 at 12:12 AM.

My mum took Trazodone for depression,her GP thought it contributed to her regular falls.

My mum has been in trazodone for months. She is taking it alongside of respiridone and lorazepam. It's very hard to say if it's helpful, mum seems on a steady downward spiral. The most I could say is if she could be worse behaviour wise without it I'd hate to see it taken away.

John has been taking Trazadone for almost three years in ever increasing doses. Currently 200/250 mg a day. It has kept him out of a care home. Before that his agitation made him an epic wanderer and almost broke me but he is much calmer and more manageable now.

He takes no Alz drugs because of his low heart rate and has never needed anti psychotics. He does now take paracetamol at bedtime because of a very painful knee and that so far is successful in helping him to sleep.

I'm sat here looking at a bottle of Trazodone right now, my wife was on it for quite a while. One dose at night and I could give her 2 doses during the day as required she still takes it now in the nursing home along with several other.
    It's usually given as needed to my wife but others seem to be on a scheduled dose from what I've seen.
    It did make her less aggressive which was when I usually used it but it also could make her disorientated and confused and definitely more of a fall risk even though that wasn't an issue at the time, only when she took the Trazodone, for that reason I used it as little as possible.
    She took it in conjunction with Donepezil and Citalopram which from what I was told by the nurse at the home was a pretty standard combination when she had a medication review late last year.
    K
    If you're going through hell, keep going