Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardw View Post
    Hmmm..... not sensing much support here which has surprised me. Arivaderci all
    Richard, sorry to see that something you feel strongly about has fallen on deaf ears. Perhaps we are just happy with the status quo. Personally I think the real problem with care home funding is elsewhere.....or personal taxation could be a part of any solution.

Perhaps you need to get a 'celebrity' to get on board. Martin Lewis of 'MoneySavingExpert' may be willing to look at the issue with his razor sharp financial mind and if he were to become an advocate then you may get somewhere.

I would say tax is the price you pay for living in a civilised society. We all pay for services which we may or may not need personally but which are beneficial in a broader sense. What's the alternative? Few of us would be able to earn enough to pay for everything we need if the state wasn't there to provide schools, roads, hospitals, etc.

I find it frustrating that too many of my fellow citizens are very reluctant to pay into the system but then expect someone's else contributions to bail them out when the crisis comes along. If your friends are planning to 'fall back on the state' who do they think is providing that support? The government has no money of its own.

My parents didn't save so we could have an inheritance and I wouldn't want them to. They saved to have money for a rainy day and for them to have a better life when they were older. We are all capable of earning our own living.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" -John Lennon ('Beautiful Boy')

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles53 View Post
    I would say tax is the price you pay for living in a civilised society. We all pay for services which we may or may not need personally but which are beneficial in a broader sense. What's the alternative? Few of us would be able to earn enough to pay for everything we need if the state wasn't there to provide schools, roads, hospitals, etc.

I find it frustrating that too many of my fellow citizens are very reluctant to pay into the system but then expect someone's else contributions to bail them out when the crisis comes along. If your friends are planning to 'fall back on the state' who do they think is providing that support? The government has no money of its own.

My parents didn't save so we could have an inheritance and I wouldn't want them to. They saved to have money for a rainy day and for them to have a better life when they were older. We are all capable of earning our own living.
    A perfect post. Thank you Pickles.
    "Sometimes you will never know the value of something, until it becomes a memory.” Dr. Seuss

Hi Richard

I've just posted on a thread "Care Homes" and am off to find your petition (didn't see your thread before).

Whilst I don't personally think about inheritance, I do think it wrong that she is subsidising the government as a self-funder, and, if we rent out her house, the net income will be taxed. A double whammy!

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

New User
    Thanks "istherelight" for your support. I was beginning to lose hope on here. I maintain that if the Government think that people will save for the care system then they are living in cloud cuckoo land. There are less than 20% of the residents of my Dads home self funding and the system does not encourage you to do so as you get the same care whether you pay or not. I am not campaigning about that though, I have chosen a more achievable goal.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by istherelight? View Post
    Hi Richard

I've just posted on a thread "Care Homes" and am off to find your petition (didn't see your thread before).

Whilst I don't personally think about inheritance, I do think it wrong that she is subsidising the government as a self-funder, and, if we rent out her house, the net income will be taxed. A double whammy!

Hi Please feel free to share my petition on social media. I have a limited amount of time to spend promoting it but I am determined to see it through. Thanks again

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by oilovlam View Post
    Richard, sorry to see that something you feel strongly about has fallen on deaf ears. Perhaps we are just happy with the status quo. Personally I think the real problem with care home funding is elsewhere.....or personal taxation could be a part of any solution.

Perhaps you need to get a 'celebrity' to get on board. Martin Lewis of 'MoneySavingExpert' may be willing to look at the issue with his razor sharp financial mind and if he were to become an advocate then you may get somewhere.
    Thanks for the advice I will look in to it. Celebrity advocates are certainly a potential way to get the issue more widely known

Tinkering and bickering won't change much. It's finding out how to avoid dementia that needs funding.
    What will survive of us is love. ( Philip Larkin.)

Fair comment, Rageddy Anne. A cure for dementia must surely be what we all wish for but meanwhile what can we do? Just keep chipping away by any method we can think of and money issues do seem to engage governments.

Btw, Richard, there is another thread with a petition under "Care Home Costs".

Heard on the radio (or did I imagine it) that the government (I presume the Tories) are thinking of looking into some sort of tax rebate for families that are struggling to pay for care. So someone may have been listening after all.

As ever with these sort of things it is only words at the moment....when someone works out how much it will cost then they may quietly forget about it.

Those funded by LA don't necessarily get same care as self funders. My aunt pays £4500 per month for wonderful care. Her LA would never have paid for that home - especially as it's outside their area.

Quote Originally Posted by Normaleila View Post
    Those funded by LA don't necessarily get same care as self funders. My aunt pays £4500 per month for wonderful care. Her LA would never have paid for that home - especially as it's outside their area.
    ...and sometimes they do! The cost of a home doesn't necessarily equate with quality of the care given as so many posts here portray. Likewise those in the media.
    "Sometimes you will never know the value of something, until it becomes a memory.” Dr. Seuss