Mother has stopped eating, getting very concerned

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If you go to a large supermarket, its sometimes shelved with the 'ethnic' foods - although I have no idea why!

Some put it with the likes of Nesquick powder, and long life milkhakes.

Get a can and see if she likes it - you know her tastes, at about £1 a go, its not going to break the bank if she doesn't.

BR_ANA

Jun 27, 2012
Brazil
Weary - No, have already made the decision that she will NEVER be tube fed. I have had some discussion with the GP to consider a SHORT hospital admission - just to rule out a medical cause for her not eating, and see what sort of physical state she is in, but it would be for a pre-defined period of time, with her coming home to me after, regardless of what they find. I do question the usefulness of this, as she refuses to be examined, have anyone take bloods, etc - the GP couldn't even give her her B12 injection the other day - I am not sure what they will accomplish on a hospital ward, where she is in a new environment and probably even more confused.

I agree - we need some answers and options from all the research now. This disease cannot be allowed to march on, unchecked in this manner.

Talk to GP again about B12. (I remember of B12 being used for children weigh )

kkerr

Dec 28, 2011
Well - I did it, I brought Mom home!

For all of you that have read/contributed to this thread - I went to see Mom yesterday, still not eating, but drinking regularly. She was sitting in bed, just staring at the wall. When I asked her if she was ok, she started crying and said that she was really lonely. That was about all I could take. We packed up some clothes in my grocery bags and drove home. Once in the car, and out in the sunlight I could see how pale and unkempt she was. She was so happy to be out of the care home, she chatted all the way home (not much I could make out, but I tried to hold up my end of the conversation). Then about 15 minutes away from home, snap - and the mood changed. Swearing at me - trying to pinch me! I was still driving at this stage, so I tried to use one hand to control her hands - that led to her scratching me across the face. Thought "What have I done?" Since then - we got home, unpacked a bit - ordered some pizza - Mom ate one slice then was done. But she went to sleep at 9 pm and slept for a full 12 hours! I didn't. I couldn't sleep - at first was on the sofa in the living room opposite her room, then eventually dared to venture upstairs to my bed - but still constantly listening for her getting up, etc. Not a peep.

This a.m. - took advantage of her long lie to get the groceries in - when I returned, Mom still in bed, but greeted by a big smile "Hello, there you are, come and sit with me". Held my hand, talked, etc. Today, most the day - she has been sat on the sofa, calm, almost sleeping, but with a cat on one side and a dog on the other. Still not eating loads. Attempts most things I bring her, manages a few bites and then she is done. Then, snap - the rage starts. I have just come upstairs to give her some space.

I don't know if this is some version of sun-downing, but it seems to be about the same time everynight.

My poor Mum - 2 weeks now without any real significant food, just drinks. She was down to 44kg a week ago, dread to think what she is now. Looks so frail and unsteady on her feet. Allowed me to help her shower this a.m., calm and accepting, but physically had to almost lift her into the bath. 7 weeks ago, I dropped off a 74 year old, physically fit, able bodied woman, who had significant dementia. In 7 weeks, she has lost all of her strength and most of her mobility.

It is clear she is happier at home. I have spoken to the GP today - he has been understanding. He is keeping a bed at a local hospital open in case things don't work out - I can phone him and arrange to bring her in. We are restarting her Mirtazapine, as he thinks this may be an "agitated depression" on top of dementia. At least the side effects of Mirtazapine are an increased appetite.

I don't know where we go from here. I don't know what is happening on Monday. But in some ways I am so relieved to see Mom back at home, with her beloved pets, calm (most of the time), etc. I believe I have done the right thing, for right now. One thing I have learnt about dementia is that it is constantly changing, and I don't know what the "right thing" will be 6 months, 1 year from now. But will just have to take it as it comes.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
You are trying..and this may be the right thing......it is perhaps too early to tell, but if you can manage and Mom is not too agitated, it might just work out......Good Luck.x.:)

kkerr

Dec 28, 2011
Just a wee update...

Mom has been at home for a week now. Eating regularly - not large amounts at a time, but have learnt to give snack size portions - and only things that can be left out and picked at during the day. But yesterday - she ate an entire bowel full of home-made flapjacks - which are HUGE in calories! Drinking really well. Settled times and some more anxious/unsettled times. Has been on the mirtazapine for 7 days now. Not sure if there is much improvement in her mood - can still be tearful at times and agitated at others. But then also has long spells of relaxing with cats/dogs. We have even had a couple of trips out of the house - to go walking, when the weather was nice, which Mom really enjoyed. I think she has a bit of energy or nervous energy that is relieved by walking.

Main issue now is care at home - trying to arrange carers again, trying a different company this time and see how things go - have been pretty absent from work this week - just going in for very short spells to deal with things that absolutely require my presences.

Other issue - Mom seems bored. This was an issue before - which is why I thought she may enjoy the environment of a care home - with more people, interaction, etc. But she pretty much isolated herself in the care home, plus despite all their talk about "meaningful activities" - there was rarely anything to do but sit and watch TV.
Have tried getting her involved with chores around the house - as she is repeatedly asking me "can I help? etc - but her attention span is too short, or she gets frustrated - stops what she is doing and is off pacing again. Today, tried to get her to sit and do some crafts with me - just simple things - making some home made cards. She sits and starts but then seems compelled to get up and walk again.

GP is recommending a trial of low dose olanzapine to add into her Mirtazapine - but am wary of the side effects of antipsychotic medications, particularly in the elderly. She is much less aggressive now on the Mirtazapine than she was before - the last 3 nights have gone by without incident - where as before she would become quite agitated around 7 pm and aggressive if you tried to get her to bed later on.

Have purchased and just installed a baby monitor camera - so I can see her bedroom from mine without having to get up - great invention for only £89! Have also just spent the last 30 minutes torturing the cat with it!! He was sitting on Mom's bed - I started talking to him through the monitor! He has now figured out the noise is coming from the monitor and is fixated on it! Probably will have the last laugh and break it when I am not looking!

Anyway - that is our update. Still glad Mom is out of that care home. Settling into a bit of a routine but now have to consider the long-term, which I am still unsure about.

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Hi KKerr

I too admire you and your determination to take care of your Mum. My Mum is 98 and has had a few chest infections recentlly. I have told the Care Home that I do not want her to go into Hospital ever again, she was absolutely terrified in there and they also had sedated her with anti-psychotic drugs which have been awful for her and the GP is now trying to wean her off the side effects!

I have told the Home if they cannot cope with Mum if she gets worse (being given antibiotics again) that I will have to bring her back home with me and my family to see out her final days. I know it will be really difficult and I do hope that you will be able to cope if you go down the same route.

You obviously love your Mum.

Best wishes

Pauline
x

Billydt

Oct 7, 2014
Stopped eating too

My mother has also stopped eating. She lives with me and my husband. She has not been well since August and we are having Virtual nurses and District nurses calling, every other day and she has lost that much weight that she has now has just had an air mattress delivered today. She has Diverticulitus and Arthritis so she doesn't wander but she is suffering with double incontinence some days and nights but not with any regular routine, and then wants to know who has done the mess as it "definitely was not her". When she moved in with us 4years ago she was infirm but still my Mum, now I am sometimes fearful of going into het room as I never know who she will be.
We went away for a 10 day break in August and a care company provided 24 hour care by 1 carer moving into our house for the 10 days. Unfortunately this did not prove to be the best option as Mum ended up in hospital for 4 days and the carer also required a 72 hour emergency assistance as she found it too much to look after Mum. The constant phone calls when we were away meant our stress levels were probably worse than when we were at home.
We get 16 hours assistant but are having a new assessment tomorrow. My problem is I don't know what help to ask for. I am finding it difficult to care for Mum at this stage.

I also have been trying to find a care home that will let me book Respite care to allow us to have a break as every one who advertise Respite Care all say they do not take advance bookings. Any one any advice please.

Last edited:

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
My mother has also stopped eating. She lives with me and my husband. She has not been well since August and we are having Virtual nurses and District nurses calling, every other day and she has lost that much weight that she has now has just had an air mattress delivered today. She has Diverticulitus and Arthritis so she doesn't wander but she is suffering with double incontinence some days and nights but not with any regular routine, and then wants to know who has done the mess as it "definitely was not her". When she moved in with us 4years ago she was infirm but still my Mum, now I am sometimes fearful of going into het room as I never know who she will be.
We went away for a 10 day break in August and a care company provided 24 hour care by 1 carer moving into our house for the 10 days. Unfortunately this did not prove to be the best option as Mum ended up in hospital for 4 days and the carer also required a 72 hour emergency assistance as she found it too much to look after Mum. The constant phone calls when we were away meant our stress levels were probably worse than when we were at home.
We get 16 hours assistant but are having a new assessment tomorrow. My problem is I don't know what help to ask for. I am finding it difficult to care for Mum at this stage.

I also have been trying to find a care home that will let me book Respite care to allow us to have a break as every one who advertise Respite Care all say they do not take advance bookings. Any one any advice please.

Hi Billydt.

Welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you could post your thread as a new topic, as you may get more replies.

I'm so sorry that you and your family are experiencing such an awful time. You should be able to get respite care, do you have a social worker or perhaps your own doctor could point you in the right direction. My Mum used to go for a week every 5 or 6 weeks, she enjoyed it and we certainly managed to get a break. Mum also went to the Day care group three days per week, and she really looked forward to going there.

Pauline
x

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Hi Kkerr

Just wondering how things are going for you and your Mum.

Hoping that you are coping, it's so difficult and unpredictable isn't it. I do hope that medication is helping.

((Hugs))
Pauline
x

kkerr

Dec 28, 2011
Hi Kkerr

Just wondering how things are going for you and your Mum.

Hoping that you are coping, it's so difficult and unpredictable isn't it. I do hope that medication is helping.

((Hugs))
Pauline
x

Hi Polly
Thank you for the post - and checking up on us!! Sincerely - I have very little family left (and almost none who are involved) so it is genuinely nice when someone asks how we are doing!

Short answer - good days and bad. Had a great night last night, but the night before Mom did not sleep for more than 2 hours all night - split up into 30 min segments. But slept well last night. Having some continence issues and in particular problems with diarrhoea - not new for Mom as she has had damage to her small bowel from previous radiation treatment, but as she is still very mobile she tries to "deal" with the problem herself - came home the other day - was out for 30 mins walking the dog - and there was poo EVERYWHERE! Even found some in the dishwasher (apologies to those with poor stomachs!), and again today, had an accident, came downstairs to find her sitting naked from the waist down - trousers and pants discarded. I feel like I need to watch her 24 hours a day - and I simply CANT!! Both in terms of the practical and also in terms of my sanity.

So not sure where we go from here. I have to go back to full time training/work in August 2015 - so we have some time to sort it out. Have been looking, online, at places to rent with annexes - considering full time live in care - basically with me in the annexe and mom and carer in main house. But places like that are limited and expensive.

Was chatting on another thread on here, started by someone in a similar position (in early/mid 40s) worried that the next 10 years plus may be eaten up by this disease - feeling very pessimistic about the future. At the moment I share those concerns. Sometimes I feel like its her or me. I can either keep her happy or try and make myself happy - but the two are mutually exclusive. Guilt or regret. Those feel like my choices at the moment.

On the practical side: mom is now eating great! Going to weigh her tomorrow and see if she has manged to put anything on; on mirtazapine and olanzapine which seems to be calming the agitation and restlessness, although 5-6 pm is still a bit of a "witching hour", where the mood can change for no apparent reason. Still looking into carers at home, still trying to work part-time, mainly from home at the moment. So that is us in a nutshell!

Vesnina2

Oct 8, 2014
My guess is that she feels redundant and doesn't want to live, as hard as that sounds to you. ...
I just wish to repeat this sentence, as it seems very important to me.
My mother is too kind to pronounce this quite clearly,
but I feel this would be the key point.

I remember her opposing to buying a dishwasher when I renovated her/our kitchen:
what would I do if not washing dishes!

This is why I kiss her and hug her a lot,
and tell her many times various thanks for all she did for me and all of us,
counting one by one and making her smile with all this,
making some jokes on the way...

I ask: Who taught me to read? She answers: Me!
I ask: Who taught me to write? She answers: Me!
I ask: Who took me to language lessons? She answers: Me!
I ask: Who took me to dancing lessons? She answers: Me!
I ask: Who ate salad and yogurt to make me healthy? She answers: Me!
I ask: Who taught me to be kind? She answers: Me!

And there are dozens of questions I can ask - making both of us more grateful.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa