Advice please FIL wont thinks MIL is having an affair

mrsted

Sep 18, 2012
leicestershire
Hi all
Really worried about FIL now. Relationship with MIL has never been hearts and flowers but he loves her to the end of the earth. FIL was diagnosed about 4 years ago with VD and AZ and to be honest we have been lucky to get this far. Things took a turn for the worse about 4 months ago when FIL got it in his mind that MIL was having an affair so he decided to go to the pub MIL visits and attacked the guy he suspected. May i point out at this point FIL is 78 and the victim was 80. Luckily the guy did not press charges and it was thought that FIL had a UTI. Move on a few months and visits to the Memory Clinic and consultants and nothing has improved. MIL told me today that FIL has been waking her at 5am searching for men in the house. Consultant has stated that the next stage is anti psychotic drugs but this is a last resort. My question is has anyone else experienced this or the drugs???
Only hubby and me to look after them. I am very much a person who needs to know what to expect and be prepared so any experiences would be very much appreciated as I am calling the clinician in the morning to see where we go from here
Thanks in advance
K
xx

Blueheather

Feb 18, 2013
Scotland
Hi K, Yes I had the same with my husband. He was convinced I was having an affair with a young chap in the village. He was prescribed an anti psychotic but he refused to take it. As a result his paranoia gradually got worse until he was convinced I was having affairs with numerous men.
I had to endure a lot of verbal abuse which culminated in him attacking me one night.

He was then sectioned while they tried various drugs to control the paranoia. This worked to a degree, but because they said he had been thinking this way for quite a while this thought process was very ingrained & it didn't completely stop the thoughts he had about me & other men.
He is now in a dementia unit as the Drs didn't think I would be safe if he came home again.
If he had taken the anti psychotic drug when first prescribed, then perhaps things wouldn't have got so bad, but of course I'll never know for sure.

mrsted

Sep 18, 2012
leicestershire
Thanks for that, to be honest I think he is so convinced she is having an affair nothing is going to change his mind drugs or no drugs. Hubby is going to try to talk to him tonight but I really think this will be a life changing step which we all have to be ready for as if FIL has to go into care we will have to move MIL as they live in a 3 bedroom council house and I know she wont cope on her own but that in itself will be a challenge as she has lived in that street all her life. :confused:

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum was given anti psychotic drugs after she had been shouting for about a month due to her paranoia. She was on them for 18 months and improved so they were discontinued. After 4 month she was back to where she started, screaming and shouting and has restarted them.

mrsted

Sep 18, 2012
leicestershire
well spoke to the nurse at the clinic who I have formed a good relationship with as I am the only one who takes him xxxx she was fab and said she would get the doctor to see him as an urgency hopefully next week. We have lots of talking to do this weekend and lots of difficult conversations as a family xxx will keep you all posted and thanks for the support means so much xxxx
k