Secure environments

Minnie64

Aug 21, 2014
Hi

I am doing an assignment about secure environments, does anyone know of any work currently being done within prison health care around dementia / delirium / referral process ? :)

Charlyparly

Nov 26, 2006
Lancashire
Not sure I understand entirely where you're coming from but will assume you mean is there any work done purely within a prison setting for those with dementia etc. Those with dementia would be transferred to an alternative health / dementia care facility. Once mental health conditions have been established or diagnosed, the person concerned is no longer suitable to be held within a prison environment and must by law be transferred to a hospital or similar health / clinical setting for long-term treatment.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
must by law be transferred to a hospital or similar health / clinical setting for long-term treatment.

Do you have references to back this up? The "by law" bit? Because I believe there are many inmates with dementia diagnoses who remain incarcerated when the dementia diagnosis is subsequent to the initial sentence.