The love of pets

kkerr

Dec 28, 2011
I wish I could have captured the moment on film or video - but instead chose to sit and watch and appreciate....

My Mom, who is 74, and recently brought back home from a care home, was sitting on the sofa today. She had her small, poodle dog on one side, and my very large Mastiff dog on the other side. She had her hand over the Mastiff's paw and the Mastiff was licking her so very gently. My Mom was sitting with her eyes closed and smiling. For that moment, everything was ok for Mom. There was no dementia, no stress/anxiety/agitation.... just love from the dogs. Moment made all the more special as my Mastiff is a rescue and was due to be put down because she was thought to be "unsuitable as a pet". 4 years later, and much, much patience - to undue all the horrible things that had been done to her... she is sitting, comforting my mother, who she loves unconditionally. Don't give up on people and don't give up on animals and in dementia ... please don't give up on the connection between the two.

Having my Mom back home full time is difficult/tiring, but seeing this - I know I have made the right decision.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Moments like that happen in my house too, mums little dog always by her side and sometimes she makes space for my very old Labrador. I also look after a friends little dog and I can still do this because mum loves being surrounded by them and on these occasions peace comes to my home.

LindsayMc

Jul 5, 2014
Northumberland
My mother gets so much comfort from her little dog. Having her means we have a talking point - having a pet means you can focus on something else which can be so useful in stressful situations and bring some normality back x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
My FIL's most peaceful times after he developed dementia were sitting on the sofa with a whisky, our cat curled up beside him and our dog curled up at his feet. He loved them both, and it was mutual.

After he died one of the things that really brought tears to my eyes was the way our dog reacted when OH brought some of his things home. There was a pair of his old trademark tennis shoes - REALLY old - our dog went mad with excitement since she could smell Grandpa. Then she was looking all around for him, bless her. Funny what can set you off - it really was so poignant, even though triggered by a pair of smelly, very old tennis shoes...

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
My mum was in psychiatric care for a while and there was a lady there who was completely uncommunicative. She sat all day with her head down on her chest, eyes squeezed shut - until the therapy dog came in. Her hands would unfurl and she would place a hand on the dogs head - her eyes opened to look at the dog, who wagged his tail appreciatively - and I'm sure I saw a smile. It was lovely to see!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Talking Point mobile app

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
kkerr said:
I know I have made the right decision

Aw...yes you did, on both counts, Mum and saving your gentle Mastiff.:)

My Mam loved dogs, she always had a dog until she was 65 and her political life became too busy, so she time-shared my pooches. 'All the pleasure, none of the muck' she'd say :)

My little Border Terrier, Sally, used to adore my Mam.
She used to tear up Mam's long path, dash in the door and lick Mam's chops until she woke up from her perpetual doze.
Some folk would hate it, not my Mam. She woke like a bairn on Christmas morning and then our Sall would curl up on her knee and back to sleep they'd go.

Hard days made happier by a four-legged friend.

zoob

Sep 13, 2012
This is my mother with one of our cats. She has always adored them. I love this picture :)

Photo0123_001.jpg (116.5 KB)

Attachments

• Photo0123_001.jpg
    Photo0123_001.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 760

kkerr

Dec 28, 2011
Its so lovely to hear everyone's stories about life with their pets and the positive effect it can have on a dementia sufferers life ... and our own. I know I would not get through this without my Mastiff - Lucy, whose short fur seems to be able to absorb and unending amount of tears. Pets don't care if you can remember their name or how to get dressed, or if you are a bit smelly from not showering.. the smellier the better (thinking of the old Tennis shoes story!). Have tried to attach a photo of my Mum -in much younger days - on the day she rescued our old Labrador, who was found wandering on the side of the motorway in the U.S. The old Lab died just 4 weeks ago, but she loved my Mum until the end.

Attachments

• mom and shelley.jpg
    mom and shelley.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 689

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
lovely photos...I thought I would put one of my Mother from way back with her beloved Tizzie....10th oct coming up she will have been gone a year... but I am sure they are together now.

Attachments

• scan528.jpg
    scan528.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 699

LankyLass

Jul 26, 2013
Nottingham
Toy pets

My husband loves dogs, one thing he can still remember is pets names he had in the past. But now we live in a no pets complex . I am wondering if a soft cuddly toy dog would be a confort.? Something to hold and stroke . Has anyone found if a soft toy can substitute for a real pet?

LilMissSunshine

Apr 1, 2014
Barton-on-Sea
Having pets in care homes.

I am the Activity Co-ordinator for a small care home based on the south coast and I have struggled at times to find meaningful ways of interacting with and lifting the mood for some of our most poorly residents. Earlier this year we adopted a cat for the home and he has taken his role very seriously. All the residents love to make a fuss of him but Ace and I have a regular routine now, he accompanies me on my rounds to residents who can't readily join in the activities. I have found that faces light up, voices are found, words articulated where previously they had found it difficult as they pat, stroke and chat to our furry friend or just watch his antics. He has quickly fallen into a pattern of spending a few minutes with each resident and he continues to do his rounds throughout the day. I have a colleague at another home within the group who takes her dog to work with her every day and he too seems to have taken on the responsibility of looking out for the residents and brightening up their days.