cleaning teeth

Sleepy Head

Jun 11, 2014
Cotswolds
Does anyone know of an alternative to a toothbrush for cleaning teeth? My OH's teeth haven't been properly cleaned for ages because he can't do it himself and he won't let the carers do it for him either - he chews the toothpaste off the brush but won't have the brush in his mouth.

halojones

May 7, 2014
You can clean your teeth with your forefinger..all you do is put some toothpaste on your finger and a bit of water and then just rub it over your gums and rinse, its quite easy..would your OH be able to do this? I would recommend retardex toothpaste(i must get some myself!) as it gets rid of any sulphur breath...maybe your OH gums have become sensitive or it could be that he just doesn't like the textures any more..this illness does seem to have that effect in many different ways...I might have just given you the most rubbish advice or it might help? we have to try whatever we can ,don't we...?

Last edited:

Sleepy Head

Jun 11, 2014
Cotswolds
You can clean your teeth with your forefinger..all you do is put some toothpaste on your finger and a bit of water and then just rub it over your gums and rinse, its quite easy..would your OH be able to do this? I would recommend retardex toothpaste(i must get some myself!) as it gets rid of any sulphur breath...maybe your OH gums have become sensitive or it could be that he just doesn't like the textures any more..this illness does seem to have that effect in many different ways...I might have just given you the most rubbish advice or it might help? we have to try whatever we can ,don't we...?

Thank you for your suggestion - and I haven't heard of retardex. It's worth a try.

Sleepy Head

Jun 11, 2014
Cotswolds

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thank you for responding, Katrine. I'm following up your suggestion and that of Halo. There used to be little circular brushes, loaded with toothpaste, that could be chewed and then spat out but they no longer seem to be available.

You can still get them, in service stations along motorways! They're usually in a dispenser in the toilet area. Not sure how practical this is for you, but I do know they - or something very similar - are still available in this way. Have you tried ebay? That might be worth a look.

I've just googled, and believe that these are the ones: https://www.fuzzybrush.com

Last edited:

halojones

May 7, 2014
Thank you for your suggestion - and I haven't heard of retardex. It's worth a try.

Hi Sleepy Head, You can buy Retardex Toothpaste and mouthwash and mouthspray from Boots. It is expensive,about £8 for the toothpaste(I wouldn't use the mouthwash with dementia,you don't want OH swallowing it) A dentist told me about it and it is really good,it does get rid of that sulphur/bacteria breath..and a tube does last quite a long time ..good advice as alwaysrom the other TP xxx

Sleepy Head

Jun 11, 2014
Cotswolds
Thank you College Girl and Jeanie - and you again Halo! Fingers crossed that some of your helpful suggestions will work. I hate the thought of toothache being added to all the other problems for my OH.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976