False Teeth

Lisajk

Aug 31, 2014
Nottinghamshire
MIL is driving me bonkers this morning. We're having issues with her false teeth!
Usual routine, shower, brush teeth, put false teeth plate in, get dressed, breakfast. We've been doing it every day for 2.5 years, yet this morning we can't get past the false teeth part. Every time she picks them up she drops them on the floor. It's happened 20 times now and I'm ready to scream! I'm sure she's doing it on purpose. She won't let me help her, so she's still in her bathroom trying and failing to get her plate in. She won't let me help her at all, apart from picking them up off the floor and passing them to her. I would just leave it out but she won't be able to eat without them in.
I've just heard them clatter on the floor again. Think my head is about to explode!
Might get some porridge on the go and leave them on the floor.
Oh the joys!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Oh dear I'm so sorry, it is always a shock when you realise somebody can't do something they have been doing for years. How frustrating for you, I hope that it is a one off and that she manages soon and that she is ok tomorrow,

Beat wishes Jeany x

Lisajk

Aug 31, 2014
Nottinghamshire
Poor you!! If you need to scream just go ahead & do it! Might shock her out of the loop she's in.

Thank you. I think you're right, it was a loop of repetition. I'm sure she was doing it on purpose. I moved her out of her bathroom as I couldn't take any more, got her dressed and tried with the teeth again. No problem at all! Straight in and asking for her breakfast! Blinkin ada!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Poor you :( We get this with Mil tucking her chair in, to eat at the table. She pulls the chair out, and sits on it sideways - left like that , and she ends up wearing more than she eats - and if she is due to go to day care, then its another battle to get her changed. So, we ask her to 'tuck in', she shuffles 1/2 an inch round in the seat - then simply 'bounces' her bottom up and down, not moving the chair one bit. She is quite happy for one of us to tuck the chair in - but, when we try to do so, she plants her feet and pushes down, and its like shifting a ton weight, and with back problems, I simply cannot do it. Like you, I feel its a 'loop' with her - I have seen her, go to the table for a cuppa, and tuck the chair in without a second hesitation - its just at actual meal times, especially breakfast, that we get this - I'm convinced it a habit that she has got into, that she simply cannot break - and I've no idea how to change it :(

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Poor you :( We get this with Mil tucking her chair in, to eat at the table. She pulls the chair out, and sits on it sideways - left like that , and she ends up wearing more than she eats - and if she is due to go to day care, then its another battle to get her changed. So, we ask her to 'tuck in', she shuffles 1/2 an inch round in the seat - then simply 'bounces' her bottom up and down, not moving the chair one bit. She is quite happy for one of us to tuck the chair in - but, when we try to do so, she plants her feet and pushes down, and its like shifting a ton weight, and with back problems, I simply cannot do it. Like you, I feel its a 'loop' with her - I have seen her, go to the table for a cuppa, and tuck the chair in without a second hesitation - its just at actual meal times, especially breakfast, that we get this - I'm convinced it a habit that she has got into, that she simply cannot break - and I've no idea how to change it :(

Could you out an empty cup and saucer in her place and then swap it for her dinner once she is seated?

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
Ann, I know how much she likes her food! Is it possible for you to say "you need to sit at the table properly then I will give you your tea"? You wouldn't have put up with your children doing this when they were small. I know it is really difficult treating an adult like a child but if it saves you 1 load of washing a week plus time for changing clothes etc..... Could be worth a try.

Please dis-regard if it is a silly idea.

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
My husband simply cannot get his legs under the table, it's just not possible for him to grasp how to get into that position even with help. The solution I resort to is to get him safely and straightly sat, and then adjust the table so that he ends up sitting properly at it.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thanks Onlyme and Lizzy - lol, yes, I've tried the 'tuck your chair in and I will fetch your meal then', and just putting a drink down and saying only that there is a cuppa for her there - but she knows when a meal is coming, open plan kitchen from dining room, so hard to miss.

jawark, she 'resists' attempts to guide her to the seat - I get the 'I can mange' - until she is sitting and then she pitifully says she is 'too weak' or simply says 'the chair won't move' and 'I can't do it' . The best I can manage is to try and catch her just before she sits, and try and get her and the chair as close as poss before she sits - and I've taken to having wet wipes handy, to deal with any splashes and try and avoid a complete clothes change.

I think she is really struggling with coordination, a lot of the time, but in instances like this, she sort of knows that sometimes she struggles, she worries about struggling - and the more she worries, the more her coordination and ability to carry out the action, fail her - does that make sense? Its what I mean by it being a 'habit'.

Judging by her tops when she gets home from day care, where she has a typical meat and two veg lunch with gravy, the same issue happens there :(

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Could you try sitting her on an armchair and using one of those little portable tables across her? Then she wouldn't have to get her legs under the dining table.