Paying Care home bills while waiting for the CoP to come through?

And247

Aug 21, 2014
Northumberland
Hello!

My Dad is in a care home and incapable of managing his financial affairs I am in the process of applying for deputyship with the CoP. (12 weeks to go............).

My mum is not in good health and has suddenly taken a turn for the worse. I am LPA finance for mum and manage their joint accounts at the minute to pay for dads privately funded care. Etc.

I guess there is the real chance that mum may not last long and hence I wouldn't be able to use mums LPA anymore (and all money transfers to dad as part of her will). I'm worried that there may be a 'gap' until I can access his money to pay for his care, house, etc when the CoP comes through hopefully in 12 weeks time.

I'm wondering:
1) Should I care that the Care home and house bills, etc will not get paid until the CoP comes through?
or
2) Should I perhaps move some of mums money into a new account in my name (Not as LPA but in my name) that I can pay the bills etc in the interim until the CoP comes through and I can then transfer the money back to dad?
or
3) another option?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks And

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Hi And,

I do hope your situation does not manifest itself, however.....

A 1. Since you are applying for CoP and it will be you sorting out the mess of bills not being paid for 6 months I would say you already care:)

A 2. That is a good idea as long as no one else is involved and may make "allegations" in the future. Setting up Direct Debits to pay bills may be a good way to go.

A 3. Your relationship and how happy your Dad is with the care home is important. If they are happy not being paid fine. If they are not maybe consider paying in advance. You could also do that with some of the household bills.

Good Luck:)

And247

Aug 21, 2014
Northumberland
Many thanks. The problem with my option 2 is that I move some of mums money into my name to cover dad's fees while the CoP comes through for him and she does die in that period then her will states that her money is his, (but I am holding some which may be an issue).

Then after the CoP comes through I move her money into his account. May look a bit dodgy...

The third option you suggested is interesting and I will talk to the care home about an advance payment if they need it.

Hmm.

And

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heidi j