Thoughts - news and research on dementia care

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
First brain-to-brain communication in humans demonstrated

Hi Owly
Thank you for your kind post and encouragement - what could be more exciting for all our viewers than this post? eg perhaps much more research will lead to communication between a D patient and their carer? - I would expect to hear 'get me out of here' mo43:) btw thats my first message icon...

In a groundbreaking experiment, scientists have conducted the first computer-mediated brain-to-brain communication in humans located more than 8,000 km apart, after sending the words 'hola' and 'ciao' from India to France.
The brain-to-brain transmission of information between humans was carried out without performing any invasive surgery on the test subjects, researchers said.
"We wanted to find out if one could communicate directly between two people by reading out the brain activity from one person and injecting brain activity into the second person, and do so across great physical distances by leveraging existing communication pathways," said co-author Alvaro Pascual-Leone, from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) and Professor of Neurology at Harvard Medical School

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/first-braintobrain-communication-in-humans-demonstrated/1285698

Owly

Jun 6, 2011
That's cool, but we do this anyway with telepathy.

The other day, I thought of someone I had not communicated with for about 2 years and the very next day, they sent me an email....."I just thought I'd send you this...."

:)

It would certainly be intriguing to know what it is like inside the brain of a sufferer. Are they actually happy or are they quietly frustrated, but unable to communicate it? Do we suffer more about them, than they suffer themselves?

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
That's cool, but we do this anyway with telepathy.

The other day, I thought of someone I had not communicated with for about 2 years and the very next day, they sent me an email....."I just thought I'd send you this...."

:)

It would certainly be intriguing to know what it is like inside the brain of a sufferer. Are they actually happy or are they quietly frustrated, but unable to communicate it? Do we suffer more about them, than they suffer themselves?

I am utterly convinced telepathy is factual and happened to me - after hearing of my Fathers death. I flew by a chance lift 2,200 mls to the uk - landed late at night - no transport so took a taxi 100 miles north at 90 + mph - paid the driver and to my astonishment met my Mother at the garden gate.
There had been no communication at all that I was coming home - I asked her
How did you know I was coming home? she replied I knew you would...
Sadly I have no hopes or expectations of any real remnants of the person with D and indeed its probably merciful they don't know their real situation.

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Putting your finger on dementia protection

You don’t have to be a genius to understand that as your brain goes, so go your health and happiness. If you can keep your cognitive powers humming through middle and later years, chances are you’ll also improve everything from your cardiovascular system to your social life. That’s why, today, we want you to start thinking — and discover just how to help protect your mind and body from dementia, whether atherosclerosis, mini strokes or Alzheimer’s disease causes it.

http://tucson.com/lifestyles/health...cle_3c3060b8-789c-5978-ad17-61120e69b4bc.html

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Twice as many cases of early dementia than was thought

More than twice as many people in the UK have dementia before the age of 65 than was previously thought, new figures show.
A report due to be published this week says that 42,000 people are now estimated to be suffering early onset dementia, including thousands of cases among those in their 40s, and more than 700 cases among those in their 30s.
The new statistics also show the condition is slightly more common among men than women.

sad news indeed - but better and quicker diagnosis will hopefully be part of the journey towards treatment, perhaps prevention of D and or a cure mo43

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journali...cases-of-early-dementia-than-was-thought.html

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Sleeping pills taken by millions linked to Alzheimer's

Common sleeping tablets and anxiety drugs taken by millions of patients has been linked to a 50 per cent increased risk of Alzheimer's disease, researchers have found.
Taking the drugs known as benzodiazepines, which include diazepam and lorazepam, for three months or more was linked with a greater chance of being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease five years later.
At least six million prescriptions were issued for the drugs in England last year and the researchers said the findings are important because of the large numbers of older people taking the medicines.
Researchers behind the study described the findings as being of "major importance for public health".

looks like its not a good idea to sleep on this one ..mo43

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...s-taken-by-millions-linked-to-Alzheimers.html

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Dementia patients 'face unfair care tax'

Dementia patients in the UK face a "care tax" because they are left to sort out much of the care they need themselves, experts say.

The Alzheimer's Society found that on average, the equivalent of £32,242 a year was spent on care per patient.

But the researchers said on average only a third - £10,784 - came from NHS or council funds, leaving a shortfall.

The charity said it was unfair as those with cancer or heart problems got their care free on the NHS.

the above makes the case for D care crystal clear to those who want to read ..mo43

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29126357

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
5 things researchers learned about Alzheimer’s this year

Alzheimer’s disease, a condition characterized by the slow erosion of thinking and memory, is the nation’s sixth-leading killer, and the No. 1 cause of dementia. Those touched by the disease know how devastating it can be, and they’re not alone. Alzheimer’s affects 5.2 million people in the U.S., including 13 percent of those over age 65, and 40 percent of those over 85.

Perhaps because the disease is so widespread and damaging, researchers are continually searching for causes, cures and anything that can slow or delay its onset. Each year, more rays of hope emerge from the dark cloud that is Alzheimer’s, and this year is no exception. Here are a few of the latest developments.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/09/10/5-things-researchers-learned-about-alzheimers-this-year/

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
People With This Blood Type Are At Greater Risk For Memory Loss In Later Life

People with an extremely rare blood type could be at a higher risk for developing memory problems later in life. A new study published in the journal Neurology says people with AB blood type could be up to 82 percent more likely to develop problems with cognition and memory as they age.

Researchers examined data from a study of over 30,000 people aged 45 and up. They identified a cohort of 495 people who developed memory or cognitive impairment over approximately three-and-a-half years. The participants were given four cognitive tests over the course of the study. They were compared to a similar group of 587 adults who did not have any signs of memory problems.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/11/blood-type-memory-loss-_n_5803808.html

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Brain 'can classify words during sleep'

The brain is still active while we are asleep, say scientists, who found people were able to classify words during their slumber.

Researchers from Cambridge and Paris introduced participants to a word test while awake and found they continued to respond correctly while asleep.

The sleeping brain can perform complex tasks, particularly if the task is automated, the study says.

Further research will now focus on how to take advantage of our sleeping time.

will this have any effect on possible treatment for D patients ??? mo43

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29166466

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Virgin Coconut Oil Beats Drugs in Treating Alzheimer’s

Today’s senior citizens living in the United States are generally referred to as the “Baby Boomers.” They were born after WWII starting around 1946 through the first years of the 1960s.

A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) in 2013 came to the conclusion that Baby Boomers are sicker than their parents’ generation, in spite of advances in medicine and longer life spans. “Despite their longer life expectancy over previous generations, U.S. baby boomers have higher rates of chronic disease, more disability and lower self-rated health than members of the previous generation at the same age,” wrote the study’s authors, led by Dr. Dana E. King, professor and chair of family medicine at West Virginia University in Morgantown. [1]

mmm.....this site is a virgin coconut oil friendly site to say the least - but may have a good point = Big Pharma will never make cures (? long term profits?) but splendid treatments = profits & good for share price..Unis & DNA / GM research will find a cure BUT / production etc .....As they say ? correctly...
Marketing is the most exciting thing you can do with clothes on....mo43:)

http://coconutoil.com/virgin-coconut-oil-beats-drugs-in-treating-alzheimers/

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Brain may 'compensate' for Alzheimer's damage

The human brain may be able to compensate for some of the early changes seen in Alzheimer's disease, research in Nature Neuroscience shows.

The study suggests some people recruit extra nerve power to help maintain their ability to think.

Scientists hope the findings could shed light on why only some people with early signs of the condition go on to develop severe memory decline.
But experts warn much more research is needed to understand these processes.

indeed - as with M$ Windows *.* one can usually work around bad sectors on a HDD- pink and silicone hardware - where will the twain meet? or is it simply mind over matter ??? mo43

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29181843

jen54

May 20, 2014
mojo, I think it is good that you want to help your partner maintain functionality as long as possible. My Dad was incredibly disgusted with the 'memory clinic' who basically said at the beginning that mil was not bad enough for them to bother with! He was expecting them to make suggestions of ways to help her maintain her mental capacity as long as possible.
I stress that it is only our own experience but my Dad did encourage mil to attempt things like the crossword as long as possible, and she also took a really good quality ginkgo biloba supplement (which is supposed to help maintain good circulation). The doctors have been surprised at how slowly mils vas dementia did progress, and she did not decline sharply until paranoia began to creep in, she was diagnosed with Alzh also, the first medication prescribed caused unpleasant side effects and she then started refusing the supplements. Not evidence but our feeling is that it had been helping her a lot.
Good luck.

I am worried my mum has vascular dementia, the helpline said it was the commonest? and she has had high blood pressure for years- I got her B12 to take, and read about Ginkgo biloba- how it helps circulation, but wad then worried as it said it could increase the chances of stroke? so I have put that idea to the side for the moment

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Lilly to Pay AstraZeneca $500 Million in Alzheimer’s Push

Eli Lilly & Co. (LLY) agreed to pay AstraZeneca Plc (AZN) as much as $500 million to jointly develop an experimental oral drug for Alzheimer’s, joining an elusive search to slow the debilitating brain disease.

The two companies will work together to develop AZD3293, which belongs to a novel class of drugs called BACE inhibitors that block production of amyloid, a protein that causes plaque to build up in the brain of Alzheimer’s patients. AstraZeneca will receive the first milestone payment of $50 million in the first half of 2015 and the companies will share equally all future costs and potential global revenues, the London-based company said today in a statement.

The partnership allows AstraZeneca to forge ahead with a drug Chief Executive Officer Pascal Soriot has called a “hidden gem,” even as the company outsources neuroscience research. The companies will enter a field mired in setbacks, with two drugs in the class, from Roche Holding AG (ROG) and Indianapolis-based Lilly, failing in development because of safety issues. Merck & Co.’s MK-8931 is the most advanced BACE inhibitor, currently undergoing late-stage testing.

not a cure but a step forward - & hopefully a giant leap for all sufferers and their carers mo43

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...razeneca-500-million-in-alzheimer-s-push.html

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Japanese researchers find longevity gene useful for vascular dementia prevention

TOKYO, Sept.17, (Xinhua) -- Researchers in Japan have found that a kind of longevity gene could prevent vascular dementia induced by cerebral infarction, which is likely to help develop new therapies to the disease.

In an experiment made by a research group comprised of researchers from National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center, Nagoya University and Kyoto University, Sirtuin type 1 (SIRT1)- overexpressing mice driven by a prion promoter and their wild-type littermates were subjected to bilateral common carotid artery stenosis using external microcoils.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...chers-find-longevity-gene-useful-vascular-dem

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Japanese researchers find longevity gene useful for vascular dementia prevention

TOKYO, Sept.17, (Xinhua) -- Researchers in Japan have found that a kind of longevity gene could prevent vascular dementia induced by cerebral infarction, which is likely to help develop new therapies to the disease.

In an experiment made by a research group comprised of researchers from National Cerebral and Cardiovascular Center, Nagoya University and Kyoto University, Sirtuin type 1 (SIRT1)- overexpressing mice driven by a prion promoter and their wild-type littermates were subjected to bilateral common carotid artery stenosis using external microcoils.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...chers-find-longevity-gene-useful-vascular-dem

21citrouilles

Aug 11, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
What do you do when the things that used to 'light your fire' have disappeared, atrophied along with your brain function?

In my opinion, it's no good talking as if it's a 'use it ot lose it' option.

Nobody used it more than my mother, she is away with the fairy's.

These 'cure/prevention' suggestions are erroneous until science is able to pinpoint a way to halt the progress.

In my opinion it is a degeneration that will go alongside old age, regardless of the lifestyle... and some catastrophic versions of dementia will happen before old age is lucky enough to be borne.

Some lucky old people will escape cancer, ill-health and dementia...some will endure all three...happy are the ones who live to a ripe old age without encountering any of them and die quietly in their own bed.

We expect too much for the end of life.

I agree with what you've said on this post and the previous one from this thread.

My mum was a very intelling woman with an outstanding memory, always keeping her mind busy with reading, crosswords... And there was no history of dementia in her family, and it still happened.

She's had meds for the dementia and it hasn't slowed down the progression of the disease - nothing has slowed it down.

I believe that science is still helpless about this disease ; either by prevention or by slowing it down.

I never believed in the coconut oil for dementia. Coconut oil elevates blood pressure - not very good for someone with vascular dementia.

And yes, because of technology and better living conditions, people live longer, but it has not kept old age from happening.