Dementia and CBT

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
Has anyone had any experience of dementia and cbt. I am specifically wondering whether it was helpful for the dementia patient, how the sessions worked and whether there was any visible improvement for the person receiving/taking part in the sessions.

Specifically looking at cbt and dementia experiences

Thanks

Last edited:

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
No experience of CBT. Mum had grief counselling which was useful; however, she was in the mid-moderate stage of the disease then.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL had it for 6 or 8 weeks (I can not remember) last year. We found no changes at all in her

I went to the last session as requested by the professionals conducting the sessions

They did exactly what they did every week

After introductions they asked what is the year. No one knew so my MIL said VERY convincingly 2004. The professional asked everyone else what they thought. All (those with dementia that is) agreed with my MIL that it was indeed 2004 :eek:

Then the day, time week, month and season. They all got it completely wrong

They are asked them their favourite food. MIL said steak and kidney pie (amazing as she used to like but declares she hates it in our house)

Then they looked at famous people of old and they all tried to figure out who they were and were kind of successful

They looked at the current newspaper and asked questions and also tried to get the clients to figure out the day/year/month by looking at the newspaper

We played a game throwing a large plastic ball to each other and thinking/calling out an animal

Then a cup of tea and chat

The best bit for me as a carer was that it gave me peace and quiet for 3 hours as I had no other help at the time

I hope that helps slightly but it was only what I observed from that one session

mojo1943

Dec 19, 2013
North Devon
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy For Dummies

Product Description
An updated edition of the bestselling guide on reprogramming one's negative thoughts and behaviour
Once the province of mental health professionals, CBT (or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) has gained wide acceptance as the treatment of choice for anyone looking to overcome anxiety, manage anger, beat an addiction, lose weight or simply gain a new outlook on life. Written by two CBT therapists, this bestselling guide helps you apply the principles of CBT in your everyday life-allowing you to spot errors in your thinking; tackle toxic thoughts; refocus and retrain your awareness; and finally, stand up to and become free of the fear, depression, anger, and obsessions that have been plaguing you.

Includes tips on establishing ten healthy attitudes for living as well as ten ways to lighten up
Helps you chart a path by defining problems and setting goals
Offers advice on taking a fresh look at your past, overcoming any obstacles to progress as well as ways to maintain your CBT gains
Includes new and refreshed content, including chapters on how to beat an addiction and overcome body image issues
With indispensable advice on finding your way out of the debilitating maze of negative thoughts and actions, the book is brimming with invaluable suggestions that will have even a confirmed pessimist well armed for the journey forward.

From the Back Cover
Enhance your outlook and develop new ways of thinking Cognitive Behavioural Therapy focuses on how you react to a situation, encouraging you to create new thought patterns to combat destructive beliefs and actions. This bestselling guide to CBT helps you identify the negative modes of thinking that have been holding you back and shows you how to assess and combat them. With new content on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and on overcoming addiction, this book is your toolkit for success. Whether you want to rise above anxiety or depression, boost your self–esteem or simply improve your overall outlook, the building blocks for a happier life are right here. Read the signs – learn to explore your emotions and spot errors in your thinking Maintain your mind – use psychological gardening to weed out negative thoughts and watch your positivity bloom Set the goalposts of success – train your sights on achievable tasks and look forward to the future Don′t be afraid – discover how to control your anxiety and learn to face your fears Kick the habit – develop key skills to eradicate addictions and problem behaviour from your everyday life Open the book and find: Techniques to refocus and retrain your awareness Why some ′solutions′ are actually causing you problems Ways to get rid of unhealthy guilt How to tackle eating disorders and body dysmorphia The benefits of loosening your grip on control Ways to maintain and strengthen positive beliefs Guidance on accepting your past and enjoying the present How to lighten up and enjoy life Learn to: Identify and tackle toxic thought patterns Banish the behaviours that are holding you back Use CBT to overcome addiction, depression, anger, and more Reassess your past and address the present to achieve a happier, healthier life

buy paperback or kindle edition BUT for me its main worth is to mental health professionals to justify their salaries and pensions - patients as usual come 2 or third...mo43

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-B...r_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411151236&sr=1-1&k

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
I believe CBT is extremely useful for those of us who have functioning brains. I just can't see how any mental therapy depending on the patient being able to exercise control over their thinking processes could work in a patient with mid - late stage dementia.

Sleepy Head

Jun 11, 2014
Cotswolds
Cbt

Has anyone had any experience of dementia and cbt. I am specifically wondering whether it was helpful for the dementia patient, how the sessions worked and whether there was any visible improvement for the person receiving/taking part in the sessions.

Specifically looking at cbt and dementia experiences

Thanks

If the person with dementia is at a very early stage, maybe when it's still being termed 'mild cognitive impairment', then CBT could be useful in helping to use what memory is still available. If they are at a later stage, CBT, which depends on learning and remembering, would be pretty useless. If the sessions are free and the person is not distressed by them, they might enjoy the activities if they're in a group.
Be aware that many therapies are being trialled by professionals and then used in their theses when gaining further qualifications, so always check on who is delivering the sessions; what is their expertise and what evidence do they have for it working.
CBT is a useful tool when helping someone who wants to change their behaviour. Many people with dementia are unable to make that choice.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I believe CBT is extremely useful for those of us who have functioning brains. I just can't see how any mental therapy depending on the patient being able to exercise control over their thinking processes could work in a patient with mid - late stage dementia.

Agreed. The person would need to be able to take in what is said, remember it and apply it. I can't see that working with any of the dementia I've got experience of.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012

I agree too. CBT can only work if you have the ability to filter your thoughts and purposefully change the pattern of them, the clue is in the name, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.