Have we reached the end?

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
This morning I counted up the meds my husband is administered each day to keep him alive - it must amount to a medication overdose?

Aspirin, water tablet, something for his blood pressure, daily anti-biotic for UTI prevention (totally AB resistant now) so on a large dose three times a day at the moment for massive UTI (does that make sense), something for the bladder spasms caused by the UTI's and constant catheter re-insertion four times a day, calcium tablet for his bones twice a day, paracetamol four times a day for "pain", laxative to offset the constipating effect of all the other drugs not to mention the fortifying drinks, creams, etc, etc.

No wonder he feels like death, mumbles constantly about dying, regularly asks me if he is in fact dead and is so totally confused not only by the dementia but by the massive daily chemical intake. I have made an appointment to speak to the G.P. (next week of course) about this cocktail of drugs which he absolutely hates taking.

Today we have the ominous hot swelling on his already ulcerated left leg - the RN muttered "thrombosis" when I showed it to her this morning and I know will keep an eye on it. How much more can he bear I ask myself but seems to have a very strong constitution so who knows.

Thinking of you all with loving thoughts.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Sometimes you wonder what the body can go through before it gives up.How do you feel about all this medication? Is it necessary to have s o much or could he have much less just to be comfortable? Only you know what he would want if he could speak for himself so talking to the gp is good.
I hope you know we are thinking of you also with loving thoughts.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Talking Point mobile app

kkerr

Dec 28, 2011
I know it sounds like a lot of medications (I have seen more, FAR more!) but a lot of them seem like comfort meds or symptom control, except maybe for the Aspirin.
The water tablet will keep fluid from his lungs as well as away from his legs/feet - fluid on his lungs will cause breathlessness, etc, the antibiotics - well are obvious, UTIs are not pleasant or comfortable things, the paracetamol - I would keep, it is a safe drug, given x4 day and people with dementia are sometimes not very good at reporting pain, but instead just become agitated. If he is having regular catheter changes, I think something to cover pain would be a very good idea. And laxatives - constipation is horrible and in addition to being uncomfortable can make dementia patients even more confused, lead to urine retention and thus more UTIs. So again - I know it seems like a lot, but they really all do seem about keeping him comfortable.

I sympathise that you feel he is going through the mill. It does amaze me how much some people can withstand, and often with such grace and dignity.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have a serious talk with the GP.

As the disease, and ensuing complications, progress it is possible that the medication may not be being absorbed correctly and is having little effect.

It can sometimes be useful to ask the GP what they would do if it was their near relative.

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hop the GP is helpful, feel so sorry for you both. Huge hug.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Lisajk

Aug 31, 2014
Nottinghamshire
So sorry to hear of this. Have you pushed for Silver Antimicrobial Catheters to help with UTI's? We had the same cycle of UTI's with MIL, which resulted in AB resistance. So far, the Silver Catheters seem to be working. They are more expensive which is why GP's can be reluctant to supply them, and have to be changed every 4 weeks.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
So sorry to hear how much your poor husband is still suffering. Watching him endure it must be so draining for you. I hope that Lisajk's suggestion helps, and that you don't have too much of a battle to face to try it. Please take care of yourself.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm so sorry Wife to read of your distress. I sometimes wonder what all the medication is about; Pete has blood pressure tablets, cocodomol, olanzapine for psychosis, zopocline for sleeping, sodium valporate for bipolar,AB's for infections.2 different inhalers, cream for skin, something for constipation. Like your Husband, Pete hangs on-his heart is very strong.

I often think what is he hanging on for -he has no life-but his survival instinct is still there. I'm luckier than you Wife as Pete has no coherent speech left, but I do worry what, if anything, he is thinking. I know when Pete was well he said to me that if he ever got like his Mum (also early onset) to just shoot him:( Obviously I can't do that. To be honest I wouldn't even if I could. All we can do is make sure all care is given properly and to make decisions on our Husband's behalf that we hope are correct.

So sorry for you Wife-just wanted to let you know that I understand what you are going through

Love and take care

Lyn T

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Oh my word, Wife.

I go back to a childhood day. I knew an old lady who took up to 16 pills a day for arthritis, as far as I remember. She once said to me that she ought to rattle with all those meds every single day.

I can't imagine how your hubby must be feeling. I can only wish for strength and hope to pull you through.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Thank you all so much for your support, love and explanations regarding the meds.

I am Desperately Down in the Dumps today but my husband - bless him - was very chipper this morning having been showered, medicated successfully for once before I arrived, dressed smartly with a flat cap and windcheater standing by though his room took fifteen minutes to sort out.. I was advised by the RN that he was "going off to a meeting shortly!". He was so pleased with himself and told me not to look sad because he "hasn't gone yet". Our "conversation" this morning was peppered with references to wooden boxes, bridges, seas, various deceased relatives waiting on the bridge but he ate some lunch, drank a little and was extremely passive when I said I had to leave to walk the dog (the usual excuse these days). I have found that the two hard anti-spasm pills taken at lunchtime go down very well hidden in a little piece of jam sandwich - long may it last. The subterfuge is getting me down!

Hope you all have experienced as peaceful day as possible.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
My thoughts are with you WIFE. Some days are like this aren't they when you feel you just can't go on. Can only sympathise and send my love. Verity

Sent from my GT-N5110

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Wife it's no surprise you're feeling so low, what an awful time you're having but glad your husband was a bit brighter today in his own world. Wish there was more I could do or say but can only offer a big virtual hug. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
So sorry to hear of this. Have you pushed for Silver Antimicrobial Catheters to help with UTI's? We had the same cycle of UTI's with MIL, which resulted in AB resistance. So far, the Silver Catheters seem to be working. They are more expensive which is why GP's can be reluctant to supply them, and have to be changed every 4 weeks.

Thank you Lisa for this information. Have asked about the silver microbial catheters and the RN is looking into it for me. The four weekly change will not be a problem - my husband's catheter is usually changed at least once or twice a week for a variety of reasons not least that he tries to pull the "foreign body" out (ouch!).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts