God Bless The 1948 National Assistance Act!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I have received another assessment for the payment of John's care, and yippee! :D - they are allowing half the cost of his Life Insurance, which is a huge help. So I have had virtually every point that I queried accepted.

I researched all this online looking at CRAG (Charges for Residential Accommodation Guidance), on the Government's website, and not only did it give me something to focus on, other than beating myself up because, deep down, I felt a failure that John was in residential care, but because I didn't feel it was fair.

A couple of months ago, I thought I'd have to pay the top-up fees as well as all his State Retirement Pension, and half his private pension, even though he'd paid into it for decades, and was expecting to pay £750 a week. Some chance!

Now, I've slashed that by two thirds! :D:D:D

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Well done Scarlett. Glad you have been so successful. Still waiting here for a) result of financial assessment and b) outcome of battle with SS for additional funding requested for upgrade from residential to nursing funding. Going into panic mode again now with every day that passes without any news!

Sent from my GT-N5110

Mariella

Feb 27, 2013
Hi Scarlett

Im about to start reading this myself as I've been funding my mums care for about 10 years now, but reading this from you is very motivational! Thanks for your support, and well done on getting his fee's paid!
Good luck:)

Mariella

Feb 27, 2013
Truth 24 - Im keen to know your outcome as am having an assessment soon myself. Let me know how you get on!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Hi Scarlett

Im about to start reading this myself as I've been funding my mums care for about 10 years now, but reading this from you is very motivational! Thanks for your support, and well done on getting his fee's paid!
Good luck:)

Aaaaah! If only I was getting his fees paid! No, not all of them, but I was first quoted £750-ish, and he'd lose all his DLA, now they're £250, and he keeps the Mobility component, so it's really £200 a week.

Truth - if they quote you a figure, and your hubby has to change from a Residential Home to a Nursing Home, you don't have to pay more. In fact, if he's deemed to need nursing care, you'd have a strong case for CHC.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Thanks Scarlett. He wouldn't have to change homes as the one he is in is both nursing and residential. It's just the uncertainty of it all just when things seemed to be getting settled.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thanks Scarlett. He wouldn't have to change homes as the one he is in is both nursing and residential. It's just the uncertainty of it all just when things seemed to be getting settled.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Yes, I'm so sorry, now I remember you saying it was in the same place. But I absolutely agree, it is the uncertainty that sends you round the bend. If you don't know what you have to pay, you can't make plans.

It was only when I stubbed my toe, going to the loo in the night, that I realised it was vital that I kept the hall light on, and this was a false economy, turning it off. I am so angry though, for all the folk who are in this position, not knowing what you have to pay.

I'm nearly as angry as I am when I hear the State Pension referred to as a benefit. :eek: Must get off my soap box. :eek:

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I know, it makes us all sound like scroungers doesn't it instead of a resource that the Gvt can't do without because of the amount of money we save them until it's impossible to carry on. Just to add another quick rant, the broadcaster on our local BBC TV news programme tonight was talking to a man whose father has AS/dementia and asked him "is it really as bad as people say?" I nearly rang the programme to tell him that of course it isn't - it's all a figment of our imagination. I only hope he never has to find out for himself.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I know, it makes us all sound like scroungers doesn't it instead of a resource that the Gvt can't do without because of the amount of money we save them until it's impossible to carry on. Just to add another quick rant, the broadcaster on our local BBC TV news programme tonight was talking to a man whose father has AS/dementia and asked him "is it really as bad as people say?" I nearly rang the programme to tell him that of course it isn't - it's all a figment of our imagination. I only hope he never has to find out for himself.

Sent from my GT-N5110

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Like when people say "is John better yet?", or when you phone the hospital to say a follow up appointment letter hasn't arrived and they say "are you sure?". :mad::mad:

Or worse still, when there has been a tragedy reported on the TV, and the bereaved person is asked "how do you feel at this time?". :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Yes, I'm so sorry, now I remember you saying it was in the same place. But I absolutely agree, it is the uncertainty that sends you round the bend. If you don't know what you have to pay, you can't make plans.

It was only when I stubbed my toe, going to the loo in the night, that I realised it was vital that I kept the hall light on, and this was a false economy, turning it off. I am so angry though, for all the folk who are in this position, not knowing what you have to pay.

I'm nearly as angry as I am when I hear the State Pension referred to as a benefit. :eek: Must get off my soap box. :eek:

So very well done Scarlett. As ever, your proclivity for reading those vast tomes of govt literature has stood you (and us I'm glad to say) in good stead. Excellent news, clever Girl!
As for your comment re benefits, I quite agree, since I have been told that I will never receive carer's allowance because I am being "given" a state pension. It doesn't seem to matter that it is vastly reduced by dint of only paying married women's contribution for years. A double whammy wouldn't you agree? Love X Shelagh:)

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex

Sent from my GT-N5110

Hang on Verity. All will be well I feel sure. Thinking of you as ever. X Love Shelagh:)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
So very well done Scarlett. As ever, your proclivity for reading those vast tomes of govt literature has stood you (and us I'm glad to say) in good stead. Excellent news, clever Girl!
As for your comment re benefits, I quite agree, since I have been told that I will never receive carer's allowance because I am being "given" a state pension. It doesn't seem to matter that it is vastly reduced by dint of only paying married women's contribution for years. A double whammy wouldn't you agree? Love X Shelagh:)

Yes, I'm in the same boat, because when we were young Mums, the Mums stayed at home and looked after their children - weren't we wicked! ;)

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Have finally received financial assessment and am relieved to learn it is approx the same as my son's calculation so should be able to live within my means, if not lavishly, with any major expenses (eg house repairs, etc) having to come from savings. So long as the household bills and my petrol (astronomical thru having to do a 30 mile round trip most days to visit Fred) are covered, things should thankfully be OK. Just waiting for SS to decide on nursing care now. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all your support.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Have finally received financial assessment and am relieved to learn it is approx the same as my son's calculation so should be able to live within my means, if not lavishly, with any major expenses (eg house repairs, etc) having to come from savings. So long as the household bills and my petrol (astronomical thru having to do a 30 mile round trip most days to visit Fred) are covered, things should thankfully be OK. Just waiting for SS to decide on nursing care now. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all your support.

Sent from my GT-N5110

Oh, I'm so pleased for you. :) It's such a relief to know that you, me and LadyA, will not be belly dancing up and down shopping centres to raise funds!!!

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Delighted for you Truth. All that hard work paid off and good to know that your son got his sums right! here's to more good news from SS. X Love Shelagh:)

PS Personally I was looking forward to the performance, Scarlett? XX