Tv

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
I have notice over the past few weeks that when we are watching TV at night, my husband becomes quite restless.

He likes watching "New Tricks" so having recorded it, I put it on last night. He was up and down, in and out of the sitting room throughout the programme.
Watching him whilst the programme was on, I have come to the conclusion that he is now unable to follow a programme story. Is this normal for people with Alzheimers?

I have also noticed recently he has made a mistake when looking at his watch and telling me the time. Yesterday, twenty past 7 in the morning he said, but it was actually ten to seven.

When asked by the psychiatrist to put the figures onto a clock face and draw the time of 10.50 he actually had 3 pointers. Oh dear, this dreadful disease.

We are going on holiday to Turkey on the 30th and he wants to take charge of the money because he has a money wallet which attaches to his trouser belt. Then he said, you could just ask me for money when you want it!!

The trouble with this is, when we went to Menorca with the family in May, he kept forgetting where he had put this wallet when he took his trousers off!!

Any ideas.

Mariella

Feb 27, 2013
Hi there
This is very sensitive but these are very typical signs of dementia which could be Alzheimer's. I would start by keeping a diary of your observations, and would definitely contact your GP about it as soon as possible.

Good luck!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Could you give him some of the money to keep in his wallet and keep the rest yourself, or would he be upset by this,

Just thought. tell him it's wise to keep 2 lots of money in case one gets lost or stolen,

Last edited:

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Jeany beat me to it..I was going to say give him some small denomination bills and keep the rest yourself.....or just draw cash out when you need it....ATMs are all over the place now.:D .....
....and Mum, who never missed an episode of Emmerdale, Corrie or 'stenders does not even know how to turn the set on now.!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH cannot turn on or use anything electronic - phone, TV, radio, computer etc. He rarely watches anything on TV .
He also continually asked what season it is and what is the time ( even when staring at a clock). He looks at the headlines of the paper, but I'm not sure he understands any of it.
Now his speech, always so good appears to be going, he is struggling to find some words.

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
Could you give him some of the money to keep in his wallet and keep the rest yourself, or would he be upset by this,

Just thought. tell him it's wise to keep 2 lots of money in case one gets lost or stolen,
Hi Jeany123.
Yes I had thought that when I get the currency I will keep most of it myself, but give him so much pretending it is a lot. Then ask when I need money to pay for drinks etc. I can then keep putting a little in his wallet when he is in the bathroom!
This should make him think that he has had it all.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I used to keep topping up my Husband's money belt. I always used low denominations -but that only works if the Dementia person has no idea of the value of the Foreign Currency.

Take care

Lyn T

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Lap my husband walks from room to room when TV is on as he doesn't follow it anymore, he also thinks he has no money l always make sure he has £50 in his pocket but he hides it then can't find it sends most of the morning looking for it. l can not take my husband away anymore as it is too stressful, all the while you can manage keep going you will know when you can't cope anymore . I wish you well and wish l was going to Madeira this winter, now impossible . ♥♥♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I have notice over the past few weeks that when we are watching TV at night, my husband becomes quite restless.

He likes watching "New Tricks" so having recorded it, I put it on last night. He was up and down, in and out of the sitting room throughout the programme.
Watching him whilst the programme was on, I have come to the conclusion that he is now unable to follow a programme story. Is this normal for people with Alzheimers?

I have also noticed recently he has made a mistake when looking at his watch and telling me the time. Yesterday, twenty past 7 in the morning he said, but it was actually ten to seven.

When asked by the psychiatrist to put the figures onto a clock face and draw the time of 10.50 he actually had 3 pointers. Oh dear, this dreadful disease.

We are going on holiday to Turkey on the 30th and he wants to take charge of the money because he has a money wallet which attaches to his trouser belt. Then he said, you could just ask me for money when you want it!!

The trouble with this is, when we went to Menorca with the family in May, he kept forgetting where he had put this wallet when he took his trousers off!!

Any ideas.

My husband with Alzheimer's has more problems following stories on television now although he doesn't move around. He also struggles to tell the time. He certainly can't understand money now. Could you try keeping the money in the plastic bag they give you in the safe or such like when you are on holiday and just carry a small amount each. Hope it works out.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Re watching TV - even though your husband may no longer be able to follow a plot he may get enjoyment from watching the interaction of familiar characters. I notice that the "New Tricks" characters have changed so wonder if it might be worth getting a couple of DVDs of an earlier series to see if he settles to watch it for longer?

Hope you have a lovely holiday.

berkeley

Sep 28, 2012
Hampshire
Hi Lap just thought I'd say have a great time in Turkey. We are there now and weather is beautiful.
My husband seems to think telly is real time and is very confused when it is day time on the TV and
dark outside.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Hi, my hubby used to enjoy watching old war movies but after a while got upset by the violence so then we switched to his other favourite - old westerns andhe really enjoyed them. But again after a while the gunshots would upset him so they were a no go. We switched to the old musicals which he always enjoyed but he lost interest. After a while when he became really restless (he couldn't walk and would crawl around to show this) and then I discovered a musical which would always set him at ease whatever his mood, restlessness, aggression, non-cooperation etc and he would actually fall asleep to it. (Till the Clouds Roll By - biopic of Jerome Kerne) Bliss and I enjoyed it too. If he couldn't sleep or wouldn't go to bed I'd persuade him by putting that on his portable dvd player.

Hope you find something suitable. If he was a bit uncooperative in the mornings I would play his favourite music

Best of luck, Maureen