Can't get help from Social Services

uk23150

Sep 5, 2014
My Mum is 77 and has been diagnosed with dementia for several years. She lives with me and I am here for her all the time. I wanted to arrange a Day Centre stay for my Mum ones a week - contacted Social Services last year. They came - suggested they could make some improvements in Mums room - but because my Mum can't speak English - according to Social Services it was difficult to find such a place for her even for a half of a day. They never came back to me since....
Two months ago Mums condition got worth....I phoned Social Services again with the same question - I was asking for a day a week in a Day Centre and possibly respite short- term care ....the answer was they would come back to me. Nothing happened since. My Mum has got other medical problems so we see a doctor regularly , and a week ago I have mentioned the lack of respond from Social Services to a doctor...Doctors can't arrange it for my Mum,but I feel I have no strengths to contact that department again to remand them to do their work properly....just feel we have been discriminated for talking with an accent , however me and my Mum are both citizens here, but I don't have and don't want to prove it - I just wanted some help....thank you for listening.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
In this situation, it might be helpful to have someone who'd speak to Social Services on your behalf (an advocate).

Other TP members may be able to suggest how you could contact someone suitable to help.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
You don't say what part of the country you are in, it just helps when people in your area can identify with you and tell you their experience within that local authority.
In some area 2 phone calls is nothing maybe more like 22 calls, in other areas it only takes one and something happens. All I can say is I'd be surprised if this happened in Salford (where I live) they always seem very efficient in getting back to you but it depends on where you live, some local information and networking would probably help. Hope this is some help.
K

uk23150

Sep 5, 2014
Thank you both for your responds . We live in East Midlands - I believe things will get better ...It will be another day, another week and I will sort it out...The most importance thing is that my Mum is still with us and she is asleep right now , and I know that I will try my best to stay strong and positive and carry on looking after her. Thank you.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Last edited:

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello
I am sorry to hear SS is letting you down big time, it just isn't good enough.
It does warrant a complaint to their head of department, but like others here I know only to well how hard it is to keep fighting for what is right, please try and find the energy to complain.

It does sound as though you could do with an Advocate, tour local branch of the Alzheimer's society may be ablr to help, they also know whats available in your area, run dementia cafes and courses, will help with form filling and help with benefits you and mum may be entitled to, such as council tax reduction, Attendance allowance etc/
You will find their National helpline number here.
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=resources#faq_resources_helpline

I found Age uk , formally age concern very helpful, you should find them in the phone book the offer a range of services as well as knowing what's available in your area.

I don't believe you have an Admiral nurse in your area yet but they do have a National helpline

http://www.dementiauk.org/

Last edited:

uk23150

Sep 5, 2014
I appreciate very much all your comments and helpful links , thank you very much. Our doctor told me about the referral to the Memory Clinic - I hope it helps as well. Thank you ones again - I am so glad I have singed up to the Talking Point!

carpe diem

Nov 16, 2011
Bristol
Hi, my mum goes to day care in west Yorkshire and I understand it was originally started for the Asian community but it is open to all.
Her Local authority are really good but it does all take time. If you think they are really not doing their job then complain to the local government ombusdsman they will tell you how best to complain to get them moving faster.
Google "local government ombudsman" and just give them a call, they give good advice.
I know what you mean though about leaving it for another week.

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
Mum has rights

My Mum is 77 and has been diagnosed with dementia for several years. She lives with me and I am here for her all the time. I wanted to arrange a Day Centre stay for my Mum ones a week - contacted Social Services last year. They came - suggested they could make some improvements in Mums room - but because my Mum can't speak English - according to Social Services it was difficult to find such a place for her even for a half of a day. They never came back to me since....
Two months ago Mums condition got worth....I phoned Social Services again with the same question - I was asking for a day a week in a Day Centre and possibly respite short- term care ....the answer was they would come back to me. Nothing happened since. My Mum has got other medical problems so we see a doctor regularly , and a week ago I have mentioned the lack of respond from Social Services to a doctor...Doctors can't arrange it for my Mum,but I feel I have no strengths to contact that department again to remand them to do their work properly....just feel we have been discriminated for talking with an accent , however me and my Mum are both citizens here, but I don't have and don't want to prove it - I just wanted some help....thank you for listening.

Surely under equality and diversity they can not treat any different and they must help you. Get a social worker and tell them you will report council for not complying with the law on equality and diversity! They can actually fund translators.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Surely under equality and diversity they can not treat any different and they must help you. Get a social worker and tell them you will report council for not complying with the law on equality and diversity! They can actually fund translators.

uk23150 says "just feel we have been discriminated...but I don't have and don't want to prove it" I would ask isn't he/she simply being treated the same as everyone else? There are hundreds of posts on here where Social Services have fallen well short of the mark and I think he/she had to prove discrimination, it's probably nothing more than incompetence or a result of "the cuts" that nothing has been done. Reading some posts on here people need to jump through a lot of hoops, make endless calls and knock on a lot of doors to get the help they are entitled to. I personally doubt any form of discrimination or racism is the issue here more likely their workload, staff and priority changes and the fact they haven't been pushed hard enough is the more likely cause.
K

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Hi.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems. I live not to far from you in North Staffs and attend a local carers group (North Staffs Carers). Is there something similar for you? One of the ladies who attends (most weeks when she can get away) has her mother in law living with her and is from the Asian community. She is in a similar problem but unfortunately her MIL won't go out and doesn't want anyone coming in as she can't speak English. Also the Asian community are reluctant to visit apart from her family. I really don't know what the solution is but just wanted to let you know that others are in your situation too.

Very best wishes and I hope something is resolved for you

Benjie

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
When my Husband went to a Daycare centre-he didn't speak or understand much English! His brain damage was such that he has receptive and expressive dysphasia-but he still went. I used to be a pen pusher for the NHS (mental health) and I was always paying bills for translator services.

I hope you get some help

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnieSmith