Not sure how much more we can all take

Kerrie1970

Aug 31, 2014
Hi, I've just registered and thought I'd see if anyone feels the same. My 82yr old mum has severe vascular dementia and Alzheimer's and has been in a care home for the last 3 and a half years. She's forgotten how to talk, walk, eat, she's double incontinent, she doesn't know if it's day or night, what day it is and barely who myself and my 3 sisters are - the only thing she manages to do is cry, holding her head in her hands, pleading with her eyes, searching for something that makes sense to her.
This horrific disease has coursed it's way through my mum and robbed her of any quality to the last years of her life - it's consuming us, it's taken over mine and my sisters lives. One of us visits everyday filled with dread and with a heavy heart, longing for a visit where she is smiling or even better sleeping - they are the best visits when we can't see her empty eyes that once were so bright.
She has no idea her beloved family home has gone, we've sold it and took away her possessions and boxed up her memories into a box which she can't understand - she doesn't know anyone in the photos, she doesn't know her partner has died, couldn't attend his funeral, missed her grand daughters wedding, doesn't know her great grand children.
Every night I pray for the same thing ... That one call where the care home says " I'm sorry but......"
I won't be sorry, none of her girls will ... We will be relieved, thankful that this disease cannot hurt her anymore, she can't beat this, Alzheimer's won the fight 3 yrs ago.
All I want is to be able to remember her as she was beautiful, caring, funny, the best mum anyone could ask for but the longer this goes on the harder it's becoming.
Sorry for the long post ... Really struggling to find any positives at the min.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
So sorry this cursed disease is causing so much suffering for your poor Mum and for you and your family. Wonder if the doctor could prescribe anything to make her less distressed?

Wishing you all some peace soon. Once this dreadful time has passed, I'm sure you and your sisters will have no problem remembering your beautiful Mum as she was.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well I had to wipe my eyes after reading what you said Kerrie, that's all I can say, my heart goes out to you.
K

Kerrie1970

Aug 31, 2014
So sorry this cursed disease is causing so much suffering for your poor Mum and for you and your family. Wonder if the doctor could prescribe anything to make her less distressed?

Wishing you all some peace soon. Once this dreadful time has passed, I'm sure you and your sisters will have no problem remembering your beautiful Mum as she was.

Thank you, from what I can gather she is on all kinds of antidepressant and had various doses of all,kinds of meds ...... The hard thing is .... Is she upset, in pain, sad or is it just the Alzheimer's ?? That's the thing that tortures us all most of all .... Because she just can't tell us x

Eternity

Jul 17, 2013
London
Your post is so moving. It is so hard and not knowing what is causing your mum's crying and not being able to make it better.

I tell my mum "i love you" and then we both get upset because she can't say those simple words back to me - she tries to. At least she can still hear the words i love you.

It is a hateful, awful disease.

I hope you hold on to how wonderful your mum was

x

Kerrie1970

Aug 31, 2014
Your post is so moving. It is so hard and not knowing what is causing your mum's crying and not being able to make it better.

I tell my mum "i love you" and then we both get upset because she can't say those simple words back to me - she tries to. At least she can still hear the words i love you.

It is a hateful, awful disease.

I hope you hold on to how wonderful your mum was

Thank you - we are desperately trying through a whole load of emotions to remember the good times .... They seem to be so long ago but as a family - we don't give up ... We will be there right to the end - however long it takes x