new carer

nessieck

Aug 30, 2014
Hi everyone. My mom has recently been diagnosed and it's pretty obvious that as her only child with no other family in this country, I will be expected to care for her. This is going to sound totally selfish I'm sure, but I suffer with degenerative disc disease, am in constant pain and need an operation on my spine. I just can't imagine dealing with that, my work, my family and my mom at the same time. Can anyone tell me if I have any other options or do I just have to make the best of a bad situation? Thanks in advance!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Hi everyone. My mom has recently been diagnosed and it's pretty obvious that as her only child with no other family in this country, I will be expected to care for her. This is going to sound totally selfish I'm sure, but I suffer with degenerative disc disease, am in constant pain and need an operation on my spine. I just can't imagine dealing with that, my work, my family and my mom at the same time. Can anyone tell me if I have any other options or do I just have to make the best of a bad situation? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

No one can be made to care for someone else. If you feel that because of your health and commitments that it is not possible then make it clear from the beginning that you cannot be involved in the day to day care of your Mother.

Care can be brought into the home if your Mother is capable of managing at home with this help.

She will need to be assessed as to what her needs are and also her financial position will be assessed as to what, if anything she can contribute to her care.

If she has just been diagnosed then she may need little or no care at the moment. If you can just make sure she is managing and if she has any problems that they are sorted so she can manage.

Use the forum to gain information and support,

Jay

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Ultimately the duty of care lies with the state and not with you. You have the right to walk away at any time and you don't need to give a reason. Social workers will sometimes try to guilt-trip you - don't let them. It's their job to look after your Mum so make it crystal clear that you can't and won't and that it's up to them to make sure your Mum receives all the care she needs.