I just want to sound off

Whodathought

Nov 6, 2013
Wits' End
Hi,
This isn’t of any help, except to me. I just wanna sound off about it all.
I’m not asking for a reply, I don’t even care if no-one reads this, I just wanna moan.
My dad has Alz, he’s in a local care home and being well looked after.
I visit him once or twice a week. I’m not sure if he recognises me every time he sees me, it’s very difficult to understand what he says, sometimes he speaks more clearly and I catch a few words, then I wish I hadn’t, because he is saying something like “Come on, lets go home”, I ask where that is or make an excuse and he doesn’t reply or says something unrelated. Or he’ll say “they were supposed to be here, but they didn’t turn up”, if I ask who? I get nothing back. I reckon he thinks he owns the care home, and he’s trying to sell it but he’s being let down by everyone.
He has suffered many falls, so whenever he stands up I very very gently place my hands around his arm so I could be ready to catch him and he shouts “Don’t force me” or yells some other abuse towards me.
It’s very difficult to talk about anything when it’s all just complete confusion.
He’s totally paranoid about money, and constantly worrying about it, he’s always done it, and it’s probably the only memory that is still there.
I feel so sorry for him, it must be awful living with constant agitation and bad thoughts going through what’s left of his brain. I think sometimes it is so unbelievably terrible for him that he’d be better off -, well, you know.
I would see him more often if we were able to chat or do something, I see him smiling with the care staff (even though he doesn’t know what he’s smiling about) and think that I’m better off leaving him to it, so I go back home, he just seems to get more and more agitated during the time I’m there, hopefully the next visit may be better, and last more than 10 minutes.
If he knew that the new pair of velcro fastening shoes he has been trying to sell to the other residents for 50p a pair had actually cost him £65 he’d go ballistic.
It’s been a non-stop pain in the neck trying to deal with the either ‘dead slow, or stopped’ Court of Protection, who have actually made this last year a nightmare for me by not reading my replies to questions on their own forms, and therefore cost him tens of thousands in lost rent and value on his house.

So I go to see my Mum, at her house. She has Alz too, and is a carer for her husband who has had a stroke. You just couldn’t make this up.
She asks “How’s Dad”, so I tell her, but she’s not listening.
She asks if I like “That red stuff??” Obviously I’ve no clue what she means.
Turns out she means strawberries.
She’s forgotten names of close relatives & friends, but somehow is able to drive and is soon going abroad on holiday, again, to a place she has visited before.
Routine stuff seems to be ok, she can’t understand anything new.

I don’t understand any of this either now, and I’m fed up going on about it, my brain feels full too.

Thank God for inventing malted barley, water, hops and Golden Retrievers so I can get away from it all.
I need a break.
Cheers.:confused:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Surely all that agitation should be a good reason for medication. Is there a doctor visiting the care home who could be requested to prescribe something appropriate?

I don't envy you with both parents in this state. Keep drinking the whisky - we need the exports!

Whodathought

Nov 6, 2013
Wits' End
Hi Marion

Surely all that agitation should be a good reason for medication. Is there a doctor visiting the care home who could be requested to prescribe something appropriate?

I don't envy you with both parents in this state. Keep drinking the whisky - we need the exports!

He is on anti-depressants, but has on/off water infections too, and they really make him mad.
The care home staff are very good, and spot slight changes in his behaviour.
If they notice a change, they get the doctor out.