Help from talking point

bumpejumper

Aug 21, 2014
Hello people, when I made my first comment on here last week I was feeling really down, just coming on here and saying hello then getting feedback cheered me up and gave me the strength to come back from that horrible feeling so thank you all. We have had a few good days, but I think it may also be that I went to look for my husband in the garden only to find him smoking behind the shed, he had supposedly given it up in January so I don't know how long he has been doing it but, I felt hurt that he had allowed me to praise him up to everyone. The main reason for me is that he has also been told as well as the dementia that he has the beginning of Empheseama sorry cant remember how to spell it. Also can anyone tell me if my husband has Vascular and Semantic dementia is that shortened to Frontle lobe?? or something similar.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
From the little I know from reading on the internet, Semantic Dementia can be associated with Frontal Lobe Dementia.

I think the diagnosis matters to the extent that it can give a person some idea which areas of the brain are affected.

I would forgive your husband for hiding the fact that he was still enjoying a cigarette and incorporate enjoying a cigarette or two or three or more, up to a reasonable amount... into his day, I would let him have the pleasure.

velo70

Sep 20, 2012
Devon
And so would I. Perhaps if he didn't feel the need to smoke secretly, (you could ask that he smokes outdoors), you could manage how many he does in fact smoke. Realise its bad for us all, but with what he is suffering, an odd few cigs can,t add to his problem. I began smoking a few again, when my wife was diagnosed, silly, bad for me and all the rest, but I do enjoy a cigarette or two. I would never smoke indoors nor at friends homes, respecting their views. Regards to you.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Trouble is, Velo70, if you start again through stress the number rises rapidly with related increase in costs.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I've started smoking again. It depends on how Pete is as to how many I have! I know it's not clever, but there you go.

In the grand scheme of life I would let your Husband be re the smoking. There is a Gentleman in my Husband's CH who smokes a couple everyday. When he needs one his behaviour changes dramatically from a lovely person to Mr Abusive. The Carers now recognise the signs and take him outside for his 'fix'. Bingo! he returns to his lovely self

Take care

Lyn T

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Another smoker here. :( Like Lyn, the number depends on how things are. I think anyone who smokes knows what damage it can do healthwise, but by the same token, if it helps, even for just a few minutes, that's a benefit.

It makes me smile when I watch "Call The Midwife", depicting the 1950s, and even the doctor is smoking during the ante natal class!

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Hello Bumpejumper :)

Do you think he might have a go with an electronic ciggie? I started using them after giving up tobacco smoking for a couple of years. I hated the thought of going back to baccy, so invested in an electronic (or battery-powered) cigarette. For the last three years, they been so much help and I no longer need the real thing.

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Hello Bumpejumper :)

Do you think he might have a go with an electronic ciggie? I started using them after giving up tobacco smoking for a couple of years. I hated the thought of going back to baccy, so invested in an electronic (or battery-powered) cigarette. For the last three years, they been so much help and I no longer need the real thing.
I've been on electonic fags since February this year, and find them a great help. Must admit to having had a real cigarette last Sunday at no. 2 sons; but you know what, it was just a waste after a couple of puffs. But have you seen the ridiculous anti-electronic fags campaign going on right now at an International level. All sponsored by the tobacco multinationals no doubt. Can't find it in my heart to pontificate and condemn sufferers and carers who still need a fag. I wouldn't take any bets on me sticking it out either :)
keep smiling,
malomm

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Another smoker here. :( Like Lyn, the number depends on how things are. I think anyone who smokes knows what damage it can do healthwise, but by the same token, if it helps, even for just a few minutes, that's a benefit.

It makes me smile when I watch "Call The Midwife", depicting the 1950s, and even the doctor is smoking during the ante natal class!

It's a toss up as to whether the baccy will get me first or the stress;):eek:at least the odd ciggie calms me down.

I don't smoke inside either so I will hopefully smoke even less as the weather gets worse.I never smoke when walking the dogs and I can't subject them to passive smoking indoors or in the car:)

Pets are good for your health in more ways than one:D;)

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
That's been going on for ages, Malomm. One guy at the radio station last year was incensed over it and his response was something like: "Let them try out their nonsense on me! They'll get short shrift."

Typical 'I'll do what I want to do' response and all that. Well, good luck to him :D Meanwhile, I'll use them while they're available. Not everyone believes in the hype, or whatever it is. I tend to look t'other way! ;)

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Bumpejumper...love that name:D.....
OK he's slipped, but don't beat yourself up about it...you can only say to friends that he fell off the wagon and you are trying to get him back on it.
I felt hurt that he had allowed me to praise him up to everyone.
you know, with his illness he probably didn't " allow" you anymore than he chose to deliberately hide from you, I suspect that he sees nothing wrong in his action.

One thing really concerns me about anyone who has cognitive problems, being able to control the amount of cigarettes smoked takes a conscious strength of will. and also the concentration to remember to stub out your ciggie properly anyway, I was going to suggest an e-cig too but, having just read last week about a man in Ireland being killed by the battery of his e-cig exploding by being wrongly charged I'm not sure that I would actively support your OH smoking either methods. He will need supervision either way.

I'm an ex myself...7 years or so but I really still want one and I have contemplated the e-cig but I know I'd end up back with the real thing!!:rolleyes: