can anybody help answer some questions please

onewills

Aug 21, 2014
south london
Hi I'm new here and was hoping someone could help me....I go to visit my 91yr old nan everyday I am the only person that she sees..I had noticed over the last couple of years that she was getting forgetful and slower in her walking but put it down to age.back last Month she was admitted to hospital with delirium they gave her a CT & MRI scan which revealed she had had a very minor stroke, the stroke team at the hospital said it was to minor and the only symptom of the stroke was a weakness to her left side so they would not take her on.on discharge the hospital told me her GP has been advised by them to see a memory clinic, I was still putting her worsened forgetfulness down to the delirium her memory is a little better then it was but worse then before she was admitted to hospital.on the visit to her GP he looked at her discharge notes (which I also have and doesn't mention dementia but it does mention the CT & MRI results) he told me that she will be referred to a memory clinic but dementia has settled in..I'm so confused rite now I thought it was just the memory clinic that could diagnose dementia I have no one to talk to my family do not get on with my nan I am an only child from my dad who's mum it is an he died 30 odd yrs ago so any help would be very much appreciated.

PaddyJim

Jan 19, 2013
North Yorkshire
Welcome

Welcome Onewills

TP will really help and there will be people along who will be able to help. My impression is that your nan may be displaying some of the signs of dementia and the MRi and CT scan may show indications hence the need to refer her to a memory clinic for confirmation of the diagnosis ( a surprising number of people with dementia never get officially diagnosed). Additionally the stroke may be a contributory factor and VD is attributed to tiny strokes. The main thing is to be there for her and I am sorry you are having to deal with this alone but your local AS may be able to help with information and support.

Best Wishes

PJ

onewills

Aug 21, 2014
south london
Thank you for your reply, this is a very scary situation an I had the thought that maybe the Dr could see from the scan results, my nan is to crafty at times and I'm just so confused some day's I think yes she has dementia and other days I think no she doesn't.. I just need to be patient and wait.. Thank you again

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
That is va Dem, different levels of symptoms. Why don't you give admiral nurses a ring and get their advice, view on it. They are very helpful-you may even have them in your area to visit your nan.

allin chessum

Sep 20, 2014
Maldon Essex
Can Anybody help Answer my Question Please

i have noticed lately that my memory has been getting worse, also i have started finding myself sitting and my hands start to shake, This causes me great concern, Can anyone Advise me if this a sign of Alzheimers?

Kazzaf

Sep 20, 2014
Thank you again .
No I am not mentioning the letter again
I havent actually shown her it yet ... As it was sent
To me ... The last time a appointment letter
Was sent to her , we ended up at the GPs
As confusion and anxiety over it led to
A complete meltdown ... The GP sugessted
In future all correspondence was sent to me ...
Is this behaviour common ???

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yes, unfortunately that behaviour is not at all uncommon. I'm surprised, but pleased, that the GP suggested correspondence go to you. It sounds like you have a GP that is very much aware of dementia and its many different symptoms.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
i have noticed lately that my memory has been getting worse, also i have started finding myself sitting and my hands start to shake, This causes me great concern, Can anyone Advise me if this a sign of Alzheimers?

I think you should see a GP as there are a number of things which might cause these symptoms. Treatment is not the same for all so go and get a wee medical from your doc.