DVLA decision

LAP

Nov 23, 2010
Tyne & Wear
Today John had a letter from the DVLA stating that they had had information about his ability to drive and that the medical unit has recommended that he should not drive.

They further stated that it was clear from the information received that he is experiencing problems with his powers of memory and / understanding, to a degree :(that is likely to make it unsafe for you to drive. Regrettably that said, driving must cease.

At least we now know and rather than wait the 12 weeks they originally said, they have made the decision, which of course he is devastated about, but the mistakes he has made within the past 6 months did concern me. Not just for myself but other road users.

He himself would have been devastated if he had had an accident and hurt someone, but at the moment he is so angry he cannot think straight.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I can understand where your John is coming from. I love to drive, I've been driving 30 years and I still feel a thrill when I turn the key in the ignition.

Driving is an enormous part of a person's life, linked with the seeming universal experience of denial that seems to occur with Dementia, it seems inevitable that a person would rage against having this part of their autonomy taken away.

It's another bitter blow that Dementia delivers.

Much sympathy x

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
I feel so sorry for you LAP, my husband was in the same position 2yrs ago, he was devastated, his car was his pride and joy, he taught me to drive when l was 23 l passed my test first time without any professional driving lessons. He has now forgotten all about driving as the Alzheimers has got much worse, he often says to me that l am a good driver, and l say well you taught me so l must be.♥♥♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Hi, I had the same situation a few years ago. Hubby was reaching 70 and we decided to hold off renewing his licence for a short while. Within 2 months he was diagnosed with VasDem and as we hadn't renewed his licence I wrote to the DVLA of the situation and said that we (I) wouldn't be renewing it. When we saw the consultant at the memory clinic later she explained why he shouldn't drive. Always after that he blamed her for losing him his licence :)

A while down the line he didn't seem tat bothered. Although due to his immobility (in wheelchair) I bought a wheelchair access vehicle and he loved riding in the back able to see all around him. He did occasionally ask if he could drive though :) Imagine that - him driving from his backseat wheelchair - puts a new light on "backseat driving" :D

Benjie

Chutty31

May 20, 2014
We have had the same problem but Max accepted it very well,my botherinlaw is different he keeps saying he can drive which of course he can't ,my sister has been poorly and this has made him still want to drive it is awful to take off their indepence but is right and not safe for them to drive

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
So sorry LAP. It's one of the most painful things that Dementia throws up, and your husband's anger is the natural reaction. I hope he'll feel better about it soon. We're still going through the process..

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
I'm dreading the day they say my husband can't drive. I have just got him back under the consultant at he memory clinic and if they then tell him to stop driving he will blame me and my life won't be worth living. He says it's the only thing he has left as his speech and communication skills are disappearing fast.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I'm dreading the day they say my husband can't drive. I have just got him back under the consultant at he memory clinic and if they then tell him to stop driving he will blame me and my life won't be worth living. He says it's the only thing he has left as his speech and communication skills are disappearing fast.

if he wants to continue to drive and keep his driving license he must keep his driving up to date and make sure he passes all driving assessments he can keep the licence remember DVLA or no one else can take away you're driving licence because you're diagnosed with dementia however they will if you fail the assessments "so don't fail"

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
True up till now we have kept his car licence. The last one took them 15 months to issue from application but he could drive in the mean time. He still rants because they took off his 3.5 to 7 tonne licence off him at 70. But it's not been a problem as I now drive our 4t motorhome along with navigating cooking packing and everything else.
So when we have got to our destination and before I have got out of the driving seat he says what am I having to eat for lunch. It's late. Bite your tongue and get out some sainsburys ready made sandwiches. You have to laugh of you would cry.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
True up till now we have kept his car licence. The last one took them 15 months to issue from application but he could drive in the mean time. He still rants because they took off his 3.5 to 7 tonne licence off him at 70. But it's not been a problem as I now drive our 4t motorhome along with navigating cooking packing and everything else.
So when we have got to our destination and before I have got out of the driving seat he says what am I having to eat for lunch. It's late. Bite your tongue and get out some sainsburys ready made sandwiches. You have to laugh of you would cry.

angiebails I lost my C1 from my driving licence back in 2001 when the gave a medical licence for 12 months but it wasn’t until 2012 my daughter passed her motor bike test and was showing me her licence I got mine out and noticed C1 had gone so for eleven years I continued happily driving lorries with out the C1 just as well I wasn’t involved in a R.T.C obviously I knew my licence was for 12 months but did think they took away most of the categories ,

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
Very lucky tony I got stopped and put on weigh bridge last year and I'm sure if my husband had been driving the police man would have taken great pleasure in asking for his driving licence.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Looking back, I have reason to be very thankful! My husband decided when we came back here to live in 1996, and he discovered that he would have to start with a Learner's Licence, and do a Driving Test, that he just wouldn't bother - and he never drove over here! He was only 65 at the time, but already had almost killed us a couple of times in the US, through losing concentration when driving, so I wasn't looking forward to having him driving here on the "wrong" side of the road. I've done all the driving since, so thankfully, getting him to stop when his dementia advanced wasn't a problem.

fremington6

Apr 30, 2013
Devon
DVLA diving distress

My husband 76 with VasDem diagnosed 5 years ago had licence taken last year after a very comprehensive test at a centre nominated by DVLA. Since then it's been misery having him in the car with me. He constantly comments and 'directs' to the point where I try to avoid driving with him. We went on a long day out by train yesterday so I could avoid being stressed. Minor issues like today when he told me I didn't know how to park because the wheels weren't straight when I switched the engine off. Because I dared to respond he went off on a rant, giving himself a headache and went to bed at 5pm. Tried to stop him but that made things worse. He's still there and will wake up tomorrow having no idea that he did this. It happens quite frequently now with other things as well, accusing me of being a know-all etc etc. I'm finding it so difficult to cope with when it happens. Other days he's as normal as could be. While he will be fine tomorrow I will still be tense and treading on eggshells. I find it all so unreal.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
One of the most difficult things I find is the clean slate that comes with AZD.... My FIL has on occasions called me every name under the sun...never would have in the past. But the next time on the phone or visit it is like a new start ...a perpetual ground hog day. I have had to learn to let it go...it was only me that was upset he had no recollection.

I am lucky I can walk away and go home...

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello fremington6

I am going through the same as you, it is just like a nightmare, how we cope with it all l do not know, maybe we have no choice, one day good but doesn't last a day the next day nightmare again how l sympathise with you we deserve a gold medal!!!!!!!!!♥♥♥

fremington6

Apr 30, 2013
Devon
Hello fremington6

I am going through the same as you, it is just like a nightmare, how we cope with it all l do not know, maybe we have no choice, one day good but doesn't last a day the next day nightmare again how l sympathise with you we deserve a gold medal!!!!!!!!!♥♥♥

Thank you so much for yr comments. It's good to share even though circumstances are so sad. This latest episode lasted till lunchtime yesterday with many accusations and insults being made. Then suddenly he came round and kept saying sorry sorry and couldn't understand why he does it. Many tears shed by both of us but it does relieve stress. So we soldier on till the next time. Thanks again and I wish you well too grin and bear it eh!

Mme Blonde

Jun 8, 2014
Up North
My husband 76 with VasDem diagnosed 5 years ago had icence taken last year after a very comprehensive test at a centre nominated by DVLA. Since then it's been misery having him in the car with me. He constantly comments and 'directs' to the point where I try to avoid driving with him. We went on a long day out by train yesterday so I could avoid being stressed. Minor issues like today when he told me I didn't know how to park because the wheels weren't straight when I switched the engine off. Because I dared to respond he went off on a rant, giving himself a headache and went to bed at 5pm. Tried to stop him but that made things worse. He's still there and will wake up tomorrow having no idea that he did this. It happens quite frequently now with other things as well, accusing me of being a know-all etc etc. I'm finding it so difficult to cope with when it happens. Other days he's as normal as could be. While he will be fine tomorrow I will still be tense and treading on eggshells. I find it all so unreal.
This site is so wonderful as it helps me realise that I'm not alone and that other partners are experiencing the same stresses and also treading on eggshells. My husband also flies off the handle and calls me a know- all which I have tended to take personally, so it comes a relief to know that maybe it's part of this awful illness.
He lost his licence some time ago and was distraught at the time, although rarely mentions it these days. He said it came as an insult to a former Police Traffic Officer but personally I was extremely relieved as his driving was terrible, he couldn't even park the car between two white lines, let alone negotiate a busy motorway. He still blames the consultant at the memory clinic.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
...and here we are too, another husband and wife facing the big driving dilemma! After much drama, my husband is going to aDVLA assessment centre next week! Very luckily, a chap we know not very well has kindly offered to take him...what a saint! If it had been with me, I'd have been blamed for the loss of licence. I will anyway, because he's not driving after advice from the GP, and is indignant because he's got out of practice..Catch 22!

I'm the driver now, and my husband can't bear it; I can do nothing right and he makes me jittery and nervous. So if and when he has to give up his licence, I don't think we'll be going far, because no one can drive safely with an angry and controlling passenger.

This must be the biggest blow for someone with Dementia. And their family.

Chocolateear

Aug 7, 2014
Dorset
We are waiting to see if my hubby's license is going to be returned. It was revoked because on his last reapplication because of his diabetes he declared the operation for his shunt (albeit 4 years late) and the drain he'd had in March.
He reapplied straight away and in the mean time had his shunt opened to its widest setting.
Everyday he haunts the postman and continually talks about, when he gets his license back. It's on of his many obsessions.
He rang the DVLA this week and all they said was that they are looking into it. I've told him it's a euphemism for it's at the bottom of an in tray and they will get to it in time.
I hope he doesn't get it back as he's much calmer. Our bus journeys and daily walks provide a lovely stimulus for his brain. His deterioration seems to have slowed down a bit and we seem to have more kinder days as opposed to the spiteful nasty ones.

trigger

Account on hold
Aug 25, 2009
Plymstock Devon
Don’t think we should worry to much about a few dementia drivers who lets face havent commited a crime when we read the following :

More than 1,000 criminals walking free who should be behind bars including 21 killers and 15 rapists
• 1,000 people considered a risk to the public unlawfully walking the streets'
• Government failing in promise to kick out foreign prisoners, data shows
• There has been a sharp rise in the number of prisoners absconding from jail
• Justice Secretary Chris Grayling insists escapes are 'still incredibly rare'
By James Slack
Published: 16:20, 31 July 2014 | Updated: 07:52, 1 August 2014

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti