jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-14 at 12.53.33 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-08-14 at 12.53.33 PM.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 376

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I don't think I explained properly. :) As long as your father is living in the marital home at the time of his wife's death, the property is disregarded completely. No ifs, ands, or buts. The other things are "or" statements. So, as an example, if you were living in the house, were over 60 and your father subsequently went into a home (before or after his wife's death) the house would still be disregarded.

jimbosmith

May 10, 2013
I don't think I explained properly. :) As long as your father is living in the marital home at the time of his wife's death, the property is disregarded completely. No ifs, ands, or buts. The other things are "or" statements. So, as an example, if you were living in the house, were over 60 and your father subsequently went into a home (before or after his wife's death) the house would still be disregarded.

Thanks Jennifer. I am a pain :D but I appreciate your help. You do sound up to speed on all of this.

So a problem would arise if both mum and dad went into a care home at the same time?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Yes, if both your parents were in a home, then the homes is no longer considered to be a disregarded property. As the laws stands at the moment you could try to get a deferred payment agreement, as that is currently an interest free loan, payable after the death of both your parents. If you did this you could rent out the house to provide additional income and hope that property prices continue to rise. I say, as the law currently stands, because there have been proposals to make that "loan" incur interest, which would of course make this option less attractive.

vernumamy

Jan 25, 2014
Thanks Jennifer. I am a pain :D but I appreciate your help. You do sound up to speed on all of this.

So a problem would arise if both mum and dad went into a care home at the same time?

Hi jimbosmith,

Yes, a problem would arise if both your mum and dad went into a care home at the same time, " UNLESS " at least one of your parent's received CHC, and so long as you don't sell the family home, it is still classed as being occupied by the person receiving the CHC, and still disregarded.:)