The Robin

Louise

Dec 19, 2004
PEMBROKESHIRE
On september 2nd this year my mum passed away, i was working at the time i had the phone call to say she'd been admitted to hospital some 120 miles away.
I was stood in the garden with the person i look after who has the latter stages of Multiple Sclerosis another cruel disease,he is only 36yrs old and can't do anything, but his mind is allert. Just before my mobile rang i said to him wow, look at that a little robin just above us on the telephone cable going to his house. I said that's the first robin i've seen this year, he blinked his eyes as a form of communication so i know he had heard the robin singing as it was above us and he couldn't look up.
I took the news and very tearfully explained that i would have to find another carer to replace me as i needed to go a.s.p. He has 24/7 nursing care as well so i called out to nurse who was in kitchen to say that i needed to go right away.
The robin didn't move just kept on singing right above us. I received another phone call from my sister 15 mins later to say that mum had passed away, the robin was still there singing away, he/ she wasn't going anywhere. My husband arrived to take me to my mum but it was too late.
I went home to fall apart. The next day i sat at the table looking out over our garden with the french doors wide open as i was smoking and as i looked out so a robin came to the door, i just sat and watched as he/she did back, just as my husband appeared the robin flew off before i had time to tell him.
I met with my sister 3 days later to see my mum in the chapel of rest, not what i expected. She looked like an angel, all the stress had gone she looked so much younger, if anyone out there has ever seen this? She looked like my mum used to look so many years before the Alzheimers had taken hold. I was frightened before i went in, but when i saw her and said my farewells i wasn't fightened anymore, she was truelly at peace after so many years of suffering this awfully heart renching illness.
I told my sister later about the visits from THE ROBIN, to which she replied ,what ? She said she had, had a dream 2 nights previous that we were attending mums funeral, and as we were walking behind the coffin, a robin flew out from the tree and landed on the coffin, ,and all we were looking at was this ROBIN and my sister said our mum isn't in the coffin , she's here ,look, when she told me this the hairs stood up on the back of my neck. I had not told her anything about this until i saw her.
How strange is that?
Since the day my mum passed away, whenever i'm in my own garden, or, the person i look after whenever i think of mum, i surely will see a robin!!!!! It happens every time and i'm not kidding it often takes me by surprise, but, i'm getting used to it.
EVERYBODY THAT I KNOW THIS YEAR HAS HAD A CHRISTMAS CARD WITH A ROBIN ON IT!!!!!
But untill NOW only me and my sister know why!!
And just to top it off when i visited mum and dads grave to put a christmas flower display on it only yesterday, the grave just in front had a headstone on it with two robins engraved either side at the top, i hadn't noticed my sister pointed it out!!!!!
I would love to hear from anyone who has had an experience such as this or similar or even different if you know what i mean
MINE IS THE ROBIN!!!!! Love to you all louise xxxxx

Emma-Rebecca

Dec 17, 2004
Devon
Louise, that is a beautiful and very comforting story. Despite the fact that I howled as I read it! Thank you for that, it has helped me very much.

I am currently grieving the loss of my dear Grandma, who finally left us in July of this year. I feel as though I lost her twice actually. One thing which I have not been able to come to terms with is, the thought that she might still be suffering. My faith has been shaken, and having seen her so ill for so long, it really made me wonder, is she in heaven but still with AD? Your post has really helped me feel that she truly is at peace.

My 'Robin' story is that the night before Grandma died, I went to see a play that my good friend was in. I had not realised that the play was about a lady who had just passed away, and who had Alzheimer's. It was extremely moving, and I spent most of the intermission locked in the ladies bawling like a good 'un! The next morning my Mum rang to say that my Grandma had passed away the evening before. While I was watching the play, in fact. I was shocked at the 'coincidence'.

I have a copy of that play now and hold it very close to my heart.

I truly wish you a peaceful Christmas Louise.

Love Emma
x

Louise

Dec 19, 2004
PEMBROKESHIRE
Dear Emma,
thankyou for your reply and sharing your story!! My faith had almost disappeared!!! But i have now come to believe that no one leaves this mortal coil and with them, takes the burden of their illness. They are free and at peace. Now they live in our hearts forever with all the love they have given us for as long as we can remember. We need to hang on to that and keep reminding ourselves we were so lucky to have had them with us. That i believe is where we get lost trying to find the answers,when so often we are blinded by the illness we cannot see beyond it.
Mum couldn't reach me for so long, Alzheimers was preventing her, but now she is free ,she has reached me so many times that i most definatley cannot deny that she is without burden and she is with me more in the last couple of months than she has been in five long years!!!! Have a merry christmas , Kind regards, love louise xx

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Louise and Emma, over 20 years ago after my Dad died, my Mum often talked about a robin who came to her in the garden all the time. Since my Mum passed away in July, we have had a robin "helping" us. It sits with me as I garden, sometimes less than a yard away. Tonight, long after it should have gone to roost, it sat in our apple tree singing it's little heart out. It was so loud, I called to my son indoors and he and his friend heard it too as did my husband. There is much we don't understand, but I sincerely believe that love has no frontiers and death will never part us from those we love. Take care, love She. XX

Last edited:

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Louise
Wow what a story - i think that is lovely, strangely though on the day dad was taken ill last week (Monday) i shouted up to my hubby that my robin had returned to my garden for the winter and i sat and watched it for 10 mins, it was later that morning that i got a call to say dad was poorly - i haven't seen it since - hoping it will return soon - my dad was a man of the land, and strong affection for all birds and animals and i have had this 1 robin in my garden in winter for the last 4 years.
Take care love sue

Emma-Rebecca

Dec 17, 2004
Devon
On the subject of Robins...on Boxing day I went for a walk with my partner and parents. We saw a gorgeous little robin singing his heart out. My Mum watched him for a while and then told me that ever since Grandma died in July, she has seen a little robin in her apple tree, which is just outside their kitchen window. She had never seen him there before. Really took me by surprise! Surprised her too, to see a robin in July.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, our little Robin sang away in the apple tree outside the kitchen window on Chrismas day afternoon, sure Mum was around, could feel her in everything somehow. Love She, XX

Louise

Dec 19, 2004
PEMBROKESHIRE
Hi everyone,
hope you all had a good christmas and new year, its lovely to hear about our little robin friends. My sister came to visit me for new year the day before new years eve, on arrival she came through the door and the first thing she said to me was, "just seen the robin he was sat on the gate post as i pulled in the driveway,watching." I get the feeling that this robin is going to be with me for a very long time!!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL
Love louise xxx

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
We have a Robin resident in our garden.
My great joy at the moment ---we have a Great spotted woodpecker.
He came one day before christmas and no more .
He returned yesterday and 3 times today,perhaps he is moving in?
Norman

Louise

Dec 19, 2004
PEMBROKESHIRE
Cuckoo

Dear norm & she,
I forgot a very important bit of news to mention!!! I had a lovely christmas pressie from my hubby and now, i also have another bird of residence, he bought me a cuckoo clock. I happen to mention to him that when i was a little girl growing up, we had a proper cuckoo clock in our sitting room, and, i've always wanted one since then. Well now i have one and it's wonderfull, on the half hour and hour it does it's bit!!! Always reminding me of the time which i'm not too clever at keeping, also, bringing back fond memories of my childhood days when life was so uncomplicated and innocent. Norm, woodpeckers are such prety birds and very seldom seen, i hope his prescence remains in your garden. Nature can be full of suprises!!!!!!!!
Keep well, lovely to hear from you, love louise xxx

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Norman
What with your lovely frogs, robins and now a woodpecker - please let me into the secret - is it the environment you provide or have you a secret food supply?
Have had my robin back for several days and today had a visitor that my sister had to identify in her bird book - a grey wagtail - he/she was a bobbing over my weed ridden patio and beside my fish pond - apparently they only visit and don't return - watch this space - i hope it returns as it was a joy to watch when one is feeling low.
Love to all Sue

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Susan
I buy the usual nuts and seed,but also fat balls from the pet shop.
There is a container available which will hold 3 balls.
I also buy seed cake insect cake, and plain cake,they are make by a fat recipe.
RSBP have a web site where you can buy bird food.
We have most things in the garden to encourage birds,a pool,berry type bushes etc etc.
Good twitching
Norman

susan

Aug 18, 2003
east sussex
Dear Norman
Thanks for advice - have got lots of places for birds to go and food to eat - but can not avoid the fact neighbours have 2 cats that like my birds - mind i have 2 dogs that like cats!!!
Robin has been back every day for the last week, but haven't seen my grey wagtail today.
Take care Sue