Respite decision

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
My social worker told me I was entitled to 8 weeks respite a year when I started applying for it. Now the decision is here and I have only been granted 3 weeks a year as the 8 weeks is apparently the maximum and it's granted according to need and "due to new management structure they are scrutinising increases to care packages a lot more and therefore have only authorised 3 weeks rolling respite".

Can I challenge this somehow? At the very least they should be able to give me in writing the reason for this decision, right? But is there a way to object and ask for more? And how likely would I be to succeed? Or is that like asking how long is a piece of string?

I really could do with some advice here.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My social worker told me I was entitled to 8 weeks respite a year when I started applying for it. Now the decision is here and I have only been granted 3 weeks a year as the 8 weeks is apparently the maximum and it's granted according to need and "due to new management structure they are scrutinising increases to care packages a lot more and therefore have only authorised 3 weeks rolling respite".

Can I challenge this somehow? At the very least they should be able to give me in writing the reason for this decision, right? But is there a way to object and ask for more? And how likely would I be to succeed? Or is that like asking how long is a piece of string?

I really could do with some advice here.

do you have any other care, day centres or home care, I was told I was entitled to 8 weeks as well but then informed because my husband goes to a day centre 3 times a week I was only entitled to 4 weeks respite a year, this has to be paid for , well so much towards it after his financial assessment,

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
do you have any other care, day centres or home care, I was told I was entitled to 8 weeks as well but then informed because my husband goes to a day centre 3 times a week I was only entitled to 4 weeks respite a year, this has to be paid for , well so much towards it after his financial assessment,

Yeah he goes to Day Centre 5 days a week but that's necessary because I am working so I don't see why that should be a criteria - after all, there is no other family to look after him so it's all me when I am not working!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Yeah he goes to Day Centre 5 days a week but that's necessary because I am working so I don't see why that should be a criteria - after all, there is no other family to look after him so it's all me when I am not working!

I was told they usually only allow 2 days day care a week so the other day of 5 hours is taken off my allowance, that is in this area it might be different in yours,
I would phone the SW and ask,

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I was told they usually only allow 2 days day care a week so the other day of 5 hours is taken off my allowance, that is in this area it might be different in yours,
I would phone the SW and ask,

Thanks, I've sent him an email because it makes no sense to me. These decisions are all needs-based which is why I got the 5 days day care and no one has before said that my respite would be affected by that - I think it's more to do with a new, cost-saving management!

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Thanks, I've sent him an email because it makes no sense to me. These decisions are all needs-based which is why I got the 5 days day care and no one has before said that my respite would be affected by that - I think it's more to do with a new, cost-saving management!

Yes it could be as it is different with each LA I hope you get a answer soon,

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex

I was told the same thing, virtually word for word, but was given a fifth week of respite, because the SW hadn't got all her notes ready to apply for permanent care on the day The Panel met.

Eternity

Jul 17, 2013
London
Hi Beate,

I was told by a social worker in another area that 4 weeks is usual - but they do have discretion to give up to 8 weeks depending on circumstances.
Also, said that although not means tested in her area (they believe carers do deserve a break), they can means test it too!

It is rubbish that each local authority is different.

I've been offered 4 weeks for the first time this year - mum doesn't go to day centre - although mum gets direct payments for carer visits during day.

Respite costs will be added to her direct payments which she contributes to anyway - so not completely free respite either!

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
I was granted 4 weeks free respite per year from 2010 for both my Mum and Dad, sadly nobody told me till late 2013. Dad got put into respite twice in late 2013 because the carers agency couldn't cope with him, then because his road flooded. SS then extended his respite because of his behaviour and we ended up being charged.

None of it was actually dates I had picked, so I can't say it benefited me at all.