In shock

Gknee

Jan 29, 2014
North of England
I have just returned from mum's to give her her morning meds. She was in a blind panic as she thought she had no food for herself or her dog. She had tried to call me but hadn't managed the call. She wasn't wearing her fall alarm. Once I had made breakfast for her and reminded her gently of what the food looks like and where she keeps it, she was calm again but frightened. Once I had time to look carefully, it appeared that she had in fact eaten something but forgotten. She had fed the dog dental sticks but no water.

Does anyone have any handy hints on how to remind her that she does indeed have food? I have started leaving notes on the door to remind her about keys but that didn't work. She has lunch delivered but sometimes forgets she has received it. Same goes for the newspaper which had been a comforting routine for her.

She has been deteriorating for some time now but I was unprepared for this.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Does she have carers coming into the house? Because if not, I think now is the time to request that via Social Services as it does not look like your Mum is able to adequately look after herself anymore. Also, if she would accept Day Care, that would ensure she is looked after for a good part of the day plus will receive breakfast and a hot meal at lunch time. So please ask for another assessment of her needs so she can be better supported.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
You have probably thought of this but could she have a urinary tract infection, they can have awful affects on people with dementia, causing sudden deterioration
If you haven't already I would get a urine sample off her and get it tested,

Best wishes Jeany x

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Does she have carers coming into the house? Because if not, I think now is the time to request that via Social Services as it does not look like your Mum is able to adequately look after herself anymore. Also, if she would accept Day Care, that would ensure she is looked after for a good part of the day plus will receive breakfast and a hot meal at lunch time. So please ask for another assessment of her needs so she can be better supported.

Agree with Beate. Also check she hasn't got a UTI because that could cause some confusion. xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Gknee

Jan 29, 2014
North of England
Thank you all.

In my panic, I hadn't even thought of the UTI possibility. Will have that checked immediately. You level-headed people are a blessing!

Mum is self funding and reluctant to use carers. She is deemed to have capacity to make her own decisions. I will have to ask for another assessment, I think.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
You will also have to start considering whether your Mum is able to care for her dog properly, if she's giving it treats but no water to drink.

Maybe you ought to start thinking abut possibly rehoming the dog if your Mum is unable to see to its' needs properly?

Gknee

Jan 29, 2014
North of England
The dog...

You will also have to start considering whether your Mum is able to care for her dog properly, if she's giving it treats but no water to drink.

Maybe you ought to start thinking abut possibly rehoming the dog if your Mum is unable to see to its' needs properly?

I agree, Cobden28. She doesn't realise she is ill, though and adores the dog, which is an elderly retired guide dog. Thus far I have been able to make enough visits to ensure the dog is fed and watered, taken to the vet etc. As my mum's care needs increase, I'm not sure I can do both!

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Is there any chance you could take over the dog, but perhaps take it with you to visit your Mum - so she would still feel the dog was part of her life?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968