Advice please

StephT

Apr 4, 2013
Every time my husband can't use a piece of equipment he wants to go into a shop and get advice. The latest is his mobile phone. He had a Dora phone and he found he couldn't use that. So I tried to simplify a smart phone to use but he can't seem to read the instruction 'swipe the screen'. Basically he has got to the stage where he can't use a mobile phone. So how do I stop him going into a mobile phone shop and either being made to look a fool or being sold a phone that will be no use and waste money which we can't afford?

Badietta

Feb 23, 2013
Hi Steph

Mine can't use a mobile now either. He just forgets that he's got to press 'send' to make it work. In truth I'm not sure how you are going to be able to stop him going into a shop for advice about things other than, if he has favourite ones, going in there first and telling them that he has a problem, and if he turns up, to work with him but not, under any circumstances, try to give him an alternative. On balance I've found that people are really nice and helpful if they understand the circumstances.

Not sure that this helps but it would be worth a try.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
The staff in phone shops can be a bit 'in your face' (not all of them) and many are very young. That's actually a good thing. I am finding more and more that young people are dementia aware. Nearly every young person I talk to about my relatives with dementia tells me that they have a grandparent with dementia, or their partner does, or their mum or auntie is a carer. They are unembarrassed about the subject, and usually very helpful and sensitive to an older person's dignity.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
Disability in all forms is much more the "norm" these days in our communities. My son is a wheelchair user and when he was tiny he perfected his stare back.....but generally these days society is much more accepting of our differences. As a teacher things have changed so much in our classrooms in terms of disability (my school has a full "changing places" disabled toilet with hoist for one of our pupils...my first school didn't even have Disabled loo! ) and I think this is reflected in young peoples attitudes.

My FIL is a regular in our local phone shop.....they have explained.....we have explained.....but they have said they are happy to explain again and again. They have much more patience than me. The most they have ever sold him is a top up!

I am sure I recall a link to an app that simplifies a smart phone, if I haven't imagined it, I will try to find it and post it.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We used to share a mobile phone because neither of us ever used it much. Following his cardiac arrest in December last year, I bought him one that was easy to use so he could have one with him at all times.

The first problem occurred when he tried to charge it without the battery in, explaining that the back was hard to get off so he didn't bother. Since then he has broken it and I suggested that I replace it which he refused to do. So I quietly put it back in its box and put it in the cupboard. Definitely a WRONG move!!! He couldn't let it go even thought it wouldn't work.

Then for the next few weeks it sat connected up to the charger doing nothing. I left it there for a few weeks and have again removed it and he hasn't even noticed that it has gone.

He has also had trouble with the electric can opener, the ice cream maker and a few other things. The worst was the blender as when it wouldn't chop something up the way he wanted, he put his hand in while it was going and tried to push the food down on to the blades with his fingers. That was scary!!

The computer also can be a challenge for him and I have had to rescue it a few times.

I have to assume that it is the complex nature of these things, that they require a sequence of steps and problem solving aspects that is the difficulty. I think when my husband gets bad, I might resort to a personal alarm for him. I might feel better even if he decides he can't use it.

All the best!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My mum doesn't have dementia, and she sends me to screaming point with her mobile phone!:D Her hip broke back in February and she fell, smashing her old phone in the fall, so she had to get a new one. We got the simplest phone we could - the Doro. Not simple enough. The confusing bit for her is getting the right contact to send her message to. She's always sending messages to the wrong person. I can't figure out how. But she's the same with other technology - she is a newcomer to email and computers and is terrified of them. She has done 3 computer courses, but says she simply doesn't retain the stuff- she doesn't practise at home I think is the problem. No reason to I suppose. And she has had a dvd player for about 8 years and still can't use it!!

StephT

Apr 4, 2013
Thanks for your advice. I have adapted his phone with an app another person had used for their spouse, but it is the initial action of swiping the phone which he can't seem to grasp, even though it tells him to do it. He is 68 and has had a mobile phone for several years, albeit not a smartphone.
However today I said to him that I thought that I had not set the pone up correctly and that I had now fixed it and that it should work. He was quite happy with that and all thoughts of visiting a shop have gone, for the moment.
Perhaps the answer is to say that the equipment is faulty and that you need to look at it first before it is repaired/replaced, as by the next day they have forgotten that they even had trouble.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
There are non smart phones on market with big buttons where to ring you they just have to press pre set button. Also very simple phones available where you only have to press a picture of person (assuming eyesight not compromised).

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
steph, I have just been on websites to find what I was referring to and can't find it. My caree used an amplicom phone and it had three memory buttons preset on top. The picture one may only be fixed line. The hearing, blind charities may be able to help you on customer services-they are helpful. Also ability answers website. Sorry with pictures I may be mistaken but if I find it will let you know immediately

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Just found excellent one designed for people with dementia. Will try to pm you as I'm not sure if I can write model number and firm on here.

StephT

Apr 4, 2013
Thank you jeany the last one looks a possibility. I have already got the second one for the home