Oh dear, I need advice about poo, sorry :O(

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
Sorry about the thread title too, but I was at a loss what to call it.

My husband Jeff last week had the liquid runs (sorry again), or seemed to, and every time he went to the loo for a pee his pad was dirty-wet and brown water ran out of him so that was 5 or 6 or 7 times each day. In desperation I gave him Lopiderone which, after 3 in one day, stopped it on Friday last.
The same day I had a visit from the Incontinence nurse and discussed with her my concern about whether it was diarrhea (sp?) or leakage around a blockage. She suggested I keep a 'poo diary' for 3 months so that she might see if there was a pattern. Well Jeff's not passed a motion since last Friday and his stomach is getting a pot so that even his loosest trousers are strangling him.
When he goes for a pee I encourage him to try to poo but he seems not to remember how to use those muscles. This evening at bedtime he got quite cross with me because he didn't understand what I wanted.

I'm starting to get quite worried and 3 months seems much too long to wait for the incontinence nurse again. I'm thinking of giving him some Lactulose - should I?

woody

Sep 16, 2009
Arnside cumbria
Sorry about the thread title too, but I was at a loss what to call it.

My husband Jeff last week had the liquid runs (sorry again), or seemed to, and every time he went to the loo for a pee his pad was dirty-wet and brown water ran out of him so that was 5 or 6 or 7 times each day. In desperation I gave him Lopiderone which, after 3 in one day, stopped it on Friday last.
The same day I had a visit from the Incontinence nurse and discussed with her my concern about whether it was diarrhea (sp?) or leakage around a blockage. She suggested I keep a 'poo diary' for 3 months so that she might see if there was a pattern. Well Jeff's not passed a motion since last Friday and his stomach is getting a pot so that even his loosest trousers are strangling him.
When he goes for a pee I encourage him to try to poo but he seems not to remember how to use those muscles. This evening at bedtime he got quite cross with me because he didn't understand what I wanted.

I'm starting to get quite worried and 3 months seems much too long to wait for the incontinence nurse again. I'm thinking of giving him some Lactulose - should I?
Wonder if he's got a blockage I would ask for help sooner

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Your description of the liquid runs (sorry), seems exactly to match the bug I acquired on Thursday.:eek::eek: It left me this morning as suddenly as it arrived. It was the worst such bug I have ever experienced!

I am not clear whether your OH's constipation has lasted 2 days or 9, but if only 2, it could be the settling down post bug and lots of water might help. If you mean 9 days, then I really can't say, but hopefully some of the experts here can advise.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Get a doctor to come out and examine him. He must be in pain and distress when you see this. I know because I too get this type of thing and the gripes in my stomach can be unbearable.

xxTinaT

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Hello, I think 3 months is too long for him to suffer.. IMHO I think a doctor or nurse should be contacted. It isn't very comfortable or pleasant, for him to put up with it for so long

Sent from my CnM-TP-7DC-8-B using Talking Point mobile app

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
Your description of the liquid runs (sorry), seems exactly to match the bug I acquired on Thursday.:eek::eek: It left me this morning as suddenly as it arrived. It was the worst such bug I have ever experienced!

I am not clear whether your OH's constipation has lasted 2 days or 9, but if only 2, it could be the settling down post bug and lots of water might help. If you mean 9 days, then I really can't say, but hopefully some of the experts here can advise.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a bug Starry - he has absolutely no stomach ache or pains at all and also I'm not having any problems and I'm the only bottom wiper so might expect to if he had one. I've been giving him as many rehydration drinks as I can get down him, or did last week. This weekend he's been losing his appetite too which makes me think he might be backed up. Perhaps I should look on U tube for manual extraction techniques. :eek:

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
I would ask the GP for reassurance if you suspect a blockage. I think I got the Laxido wrong and the result can only be described as a volcanic eruption. Antibiotics especially of intravenous type have this effect too. Please ask GP so your husband is relieved of his discomfort.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi jawuk :)

If it's nine days since your hubby did a poo then I would definitely ensure that he is seen by a doctor. Preferably a home visit (for practical reasons! :eek:).

I agree with you, I think that in view of what's (not) happened since the continence nurse visited, 3 months is far too long to wait to be seen.

Good luck :)

Lindy xx

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I agree with the other posters that you should get a doctor to come and examine him to see if he has a blockage. He will then be able to prescribe the correct medication.

I don't think you should try manual techniques as you could do damage.

Ring the doctor first thing tomorrow morning.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
GP without a doubt....it is easier to deal with in the early stages......but after the diarrhoea it is probably best to go for professional advice before starting any laxatives.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
I'm pretty sure it isn't a bug Starry - he has absolutely no stomach ache or pains at all and also I'm not having any problems and I'm the only bottom wiper so might expect to if he had one

Yes, I didn't think of that.

Then I agree with everyone about calling the doctor out.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think you need to get the doctor out as a matter of urgency. It really does sound like a blockage and needs to be cleared. When my mother had this she had the brown liquid leaky stuff. The district nurse had to come and give suppositories and the doctor eventually had to remove some of the blockage by hand. In my husband's case bad constipation led to urine retention which led to him having a temporary catheter. Since the catheter he has had bad continence problems.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
In my OHs case he had a blockage which led to an infection-so I think a GP visit would be the best action to take.

Take care

Lyn T

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Sounds like it could be what's called constipation with overflow. What happens is that the solid poo sits in the bowel & fluid from higher up in the bowel flows around it = diarrhoea. A gentle acting enema should sort it,a District Nurse should be able to do this for your hubby. As others have said,3 months is a ridiculously long time to ask you to monitor your husbands bowel movements,action is needed now.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Three months indeed. Sometimes, I wonder, oh, never mind!

How is your hubby eating, and what? This can have an effect on his body and BM's. A lovely natural remedy for me is something like raisins, believe it or not.

If he likes them, try him with a small handful now and then, see if it helps. :) Wishing him better, soonest, and yes, get a doctor involved, soon as.