What are blogs/blog posts please?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Well I'm as wise as you are Chris:D:rolleyes::confused:

Don't you put blogs on an open fire, and I guess blog posts are what you chop up to make blogs!:D

Don't really understand all this internet jargon.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hello Chris (and Sue)

Blog stands for 'Weblog'

Difference between blogs and threads:

1) Usually people use blogs like a diary as it lists your posts in chronological order and you get space to write quite a bit and your own 'area' on TP

2) Unlike threads which give equal prominence to every poster, a blog will show posts from the 'blogger' then the comments from other people are smaller and at the bottom. This is because threads are intended to be a conversation whereas blogs are mainly about the blogger's story

You can search blogs and subscribe to blogs too - to 'follow' someone's story in detail (like you can follow a thread)

Here's the section of TP where all the blogs are:
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/blog.php

Hope this helps :)

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Ah, I see. So its having the same post in the blog
section and having it on an open forum too.

So the difference is that its in 2 places and in date
order.

So to do that I presume I wd select the 'blog this post'
after writing it?

Thank you for your reply Serena

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Ah, I see. So its having the same post in the blog
section and having it on an open forum too.

So the difference is that its in 2 places and in date
order.

So to do that I presume I wd select the 'blog this post'
after writing it?

Thank you for your reply Serena

Hi Chris

People can choose to either go to blogs and post a blog post OR go to one of the forums and post a thread.

Most people choose to do one or the other and normally unless someone wants to diarise an experience, i'd say setting up a thread is best.

We wouldn't really want people to blog and set up a thread on the same topic because it'd be like starting two identical conversations in different places at the same time. That'd make it much harder to track replies etc

To start their own blog on TP, members should click on blogs, then 'create new post' or go to: http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/blog_post.php?do=newblog

The 'blog this post' button will take someone's post, put it in quotes and add it as a post to your blog

Hope this helps

Serena

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Thank you again Serena, it does make sense
to do one or the other.

The 'blog this post' button will take someone's post, put it in quotes and add it as a
post to your blog
Doing this tho is far too complicated! So won't be using this.

All clear now tho:)

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Usually people use blogs like a diary as it lists your posts in chronological order and you get space to write quite a bit and your own 'area' on TP

Was just re-reading a blog and noted the first entry of someone’s blog is on the ‘Last Page’ and the most recent entry on ‘Page 1’ ..... now, not being much of a blogger, that may be how they are supposed to work ... (reverse chronological order?) but I find it a bit odd that it doesn’t follow the pattern of threads and posts?

Not sure this should be on the ‘Up-grade’ thread? But then not sure if it is a fault or just me finding it a bit bizarre!? :eek::eek:

Karen

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That's the way every blog I've ever seen (here and elsewhere) works. Most recent entry first, oldest last.

I imagine the rationale is that "people" have been reading since the first entry so they are primarily interested in the last entry so it's put at the front. It's a bit clunky when you're used to a thread approach, but I don't think I've seen it done' differently. Twitter's the same.

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks for that Jennifer. I suspected it would be my ignorance about these things :eek: ..... still odd if you suddenly want to read someone’s ‘blog’ entries you may never had read before to have to work backwards? Still, I always did that with newspapers ... back page sport first working slowly to the headlines!!!!! :rolleyes::D

Thanks for clarifying that.

Karen, x

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello. Nice to see you again!
Go to the section if the forum you want to post in - eg Tearoom or I Care for Someone with Dementia. If you click on the heading you will see 'start new thread' at the top left. Hope this makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Click on forum home at the top left then choose which Forum you want to be on in the list and when you click on that it says, post new thread at the top right corner,

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
Help! Can't find replies to my thread question, but tried what WS suggested Anne no luck, just opened the post showing tut tut:eek:

Sent from my CnM-TP-7DC-8-B using Talking Point mobile app

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
ERM, wasn't logged in which was weird cos yesterday I sneaked a peak t the tearoom! I've managed now think you all! Letts hope some one reads it and hopefully replies now!!:rolleyes:
Sent from my CnM-TP-7DC-8-B using Talking Point mobile app