All stemmed from an old photo.

Maywalk

Apr 16, 2014
Many thanks Lindy and Truth.
Just getting ready now to take him to the doctors because he has had an ulcerated leg so going to see what, IF ANY, tablets he will have to take to help keep anything else at bay.
Have a good day everyone, or as good as life will let it be.
God Bless All.

elizabet

Mar 26, 2013
Southampton
How lovely to read your post.
When I was sorting out my Mum's house when she went into a care home I took many old photos in a box with the idea of getting her to "sort" them out It was amazing she could name most of the folk on these photos and I wrote down their names on the reverse side. I am so glad I did this as instead of just throwing them away I have a record of my relatives on my Mum's side of the family-several of the photos are of 2 of my great uncles in their 1st WW uniforms very poignant as we think about the start of that war.

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
:)That was a wonderfully inspiring post Maywalk. We too are fortunate enough to have two drawers full of black and white and colour photos of the past; some dating back to when my father was a tot in 1908. I rather enjoyed the 1947 winter. I was brought up on a North country farm, and we were snowed in for weeks, so I couldn't go to school:).
It was a disaster for my dad, and many more like him. He lost a flock of 700 sheep.
But these old pictures bring back memories which I can share with my wife, and helps her remember her (difficult) childhood in the war torn Italy of the 30's and 40's.
keep smiling,
malomm

Maywalk

Apr 16, 2014
That is super elizabet.
Its lovely to know that the photos helped your dear Mum remember her kin folk from former years.
I only wish a cure will be found soon for this rotten ailment.
I have lost some of my memory too since I started with the Epilepsy so I can understand how others feel because when I have no recollection of a certain thing that happened I feel lost with groping round in my mind trying to recall the said incident.
One such incident happened when waiting to see the consultant about the seizures before I went on medication and had the pacemaker put in. My lovely d-i-l had gone with me to see the consultant and I can recall sitting down until we were called in but I opened my eyes in a hospital ward because I had a seizure in the waiting room but I cant remember a thing about it.
It can be VERY frustrating so I can understand those with Dementia.

Kitten71

Jul 22, 2013
East Yorkshire
What a lovely post to read :). My dad has Lewy body dementia and I showed him some old photos. One was of me and dads cousins daughter, Louise. He kept going back to that photo and said that Louise's face haunted him. I explained who she was several times and a little later on, dad started talking to me as though I was Louise. He's referred to his three daughters (there is only me and my sister) and he asked me where I was born and where had I lived. Of course I had to answer him honestly and he was in raptures about how coincidental it was that he had lived in the same place as me! Suddenly he began to cry and I asked why he was upset, but he said it was tears of joy because it was so super to be able to talk to me. I'm a little unsure what to do with the photograph now. Do we look at it again and kind of reminisce or do I keep it hidden for ever more? It's hard having these conversations with my dad but I love the fact he feels in control of his mind and can talk knowledgeably about a subject, so I guess that's got to be encouraged. Every day is a big learning curve :)

jawuk

Jan 29, 2014
Lutterworth, Leicestershire
What a lovely post to read :). My dad has Lewy body dementia and I showed him some old photos. One was of me and dads cousins daughter, Louise. He kept going back to that photo and said that Louise's face haunted him. I explained who she was several times and a little later on, dad started talking to me as though I was Louise. He's referred to his three daughters (there is only me and my sister) and he asked me where I was born and where had I lived. Of course I had to answer him honestly and he was in raptures about how coincidental it was that he had lived in the same place as me! Suddenly he began to cry and I asked why he was upset, but he said it was tears of joy because it was so super to be able to talk to me. I'm a little unsure what to do with the photograph now. Do we look at it again and kind of reminisce or do I keep it hidden for ever more? It's hard having these conversations with my dad but I love the fact he feels in control of his mind and can talk knowledgeably about a subject, so I guess that's got to be encouraged. Every day is a big learning curve :)

Keep going with the photographs Kitten and enjoy these reminiscences with your Dad. If his confusions give him pleasure then you must try to take pleasure in his happiness because really, isn't that what you were aiming for in going through those photos with him?
Oftentimes with people living with dementia their carers are faced with a choice between straightforward truthfulness and a kindly fudging of reality to fit with their 'facts'. It sounds to me as if you made exactly the right choice, truth but not so much as would ruin his 'memories' and cause him distress.

Kitten71

Jul 22, 2013
East Yorkshire
Keep going with the photographs Kitten and enjoy these reminiscences with your Dad. If his confusions give him pleasure then you must try to take pleasure in his happiness because really, isn't that what you were aiming for in going through those photos with him?
Oftentimes with people living with dementia their carers are faced with a choice between straightforward truthfulness and a kindly fudging of reality to fit with their 'facts'. It sounds to me as if you made exactly the right choice, truth but not so much as would ruin his 'memories' and cause him distress.

Thank you so much for your kind comment. I'm sorry for my late reply, I'm still fathoming out the world of forums and not being overly successful! I completely agree that dads happiness is my main concern so if a little bending of the truth is needed occasionally, then so be it :)