Dementia and Epilepsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
MIL has developed Epilepsy since her diagnosis of VasD. She is on medication but is still having seizures. I called the GP and they contacted the Neurologist who said to double the dose. I got an appointment with the Neurologist but could not get MIL out of bed that day so was fortunate to have a telephone consultation with him. When I explained about the dementia and continuing fits, he just said 'oh yes I remember Mrs .....she has dementia keep her on the same medication'

Is that normal to not increase or change her medication just because she has dementia? She doesn't have seizures daily but she recently had them at the day centres, in a restaurant and is very distressing to other people obviously

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
I'm not sure from a Dementia perspective, but my Dh is on seizure meds due to surgery and treatment for a brain tumour 10 yrs ago.
He was on the same med Epilim & dose for first 2 years and then started having partial seizures affecting his speech. His dose was increased.
5 years later he had a grand mal seizure in his sleep and was taken to hospital.
Hospital Drs wanted to increase his dose again, but DH decided go see his personal Neurologist, and he reduced the dose that DH was on but added a second anti seizure med - Lamictal. This has worked for 3 years.
Depending on the type of anti seizure med, often they will do a blood test to check if at therapeutic levels.
Your poor Mum though. seizures are distressing for everyone involved :(

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
MIL has developed Epilepsy since her diagnosis of VasD. She is on medication but is still having seizures. I called the GP and they contacted the Neurologist who said to double the dose. I got an appointment with the Neurologist but could not get MIL out of bed that day so was fortunate to have a telephone consultation with him. When I explained about the dementia and continuing fits, he just said 'oh yes I remember Mrs .....she has dementia keep her on the same medication'

Is that normal to not increase or change her medication just because she has dementia? She doesn't have seizures daily but she recently had them at the day centres, in a restaurant and is very distressing to other people obviously

I think your poor MIL has been dismissed a bit too lightly. I would ask for another opinion 1954, I would document as much as you can re time frames and seizures and when she takes her meds and write to them copying in GP.
Best wishes
Sue

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I don't know anything about epilepsy but I would have thought that it should be kept under control and the doc should be trying a bigger dose,

jellyfish

Apr 30, 2014
West Midlands
Hi, my husbands epilepsy medication was increased after his seizures returned. He also had a home EEG carried out as a precaution.

It sounds like the doctor may have been dismissive to me x

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Are they sure it's vasc dementia and not Alzheimer's? My mother has Alz (though she has had strokes in the past, according to tests). She is on Keppra for her seizures, because with Alz, you can get seizures. (In fact, her seizure during a family meal was what started the whole ball rolling for us on her testing.)

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
My husband had epilepsy (first seizure was after his stroke... and eventual diagnosis of VaD),
and he (we) saw a number of different Neurology Doctors.

It took many months of trial and error of getting the right mix of seizure drugs.
I don't think there is a 'one size fits all' dosage of meds.
Some seizure drugs caused whole body rashes, others knocked him out....
Finally he was on a combo of Keppra and Gabapentin... but it took long time to get the right mix.

He had several EEG's in hospital, and even a 48 hour EEG (hospital fitted it, then we came home).
He also had a sleep study (apnoea) .... as some of his worst seizures were in his sleep.
We had many 999 calls in the night as he needed additional medical help to respond from the emergency seizure drugs I was giving him.

1954, Doctors should be seeing patients to asses the drug levels are adequate.
I would ring and ask to see them.
Are you keeping a seizure diary?

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
My husband had epilepsy (first seizure was after his stroke... and eventual diagnosis of VaD),
and he (we) saw a number of different Neurology Doctors.

It took many months of trial and error of getting the right mix of seizure drugs.
I don't think there is a 'one size fits all' dosage of meds.
Some seizure drugs caused whole body rashes, others knocked him out....
Finally he was on a combo of Keppra and Gabapentin... but it took long time to get the right mix.

He had several EEG's in hospital, and even a 48 hour EEG (hospital fitted it, then we came home).
He also had a sleep study (apnoea) .... as some of his worst seizures were in his sleep.
We had many 999 calls in the night as he needed additional medical help to respond from the emergency seizure drugs I was giving him.

1954, Doctors should be seeing patients to asses the drug levels are adequate.
I would ring and ask to see them.
Are you keeping a seizure diary?

Yes I am keeping a seizure diary but of course I have no idea if MIL is having and seizures at night :eek:

Orientate

Apr 20, 2011
farnborough
Epilepsy

My wife, who was diagnosed with FTD 5 years ago started having seizures in January this year. After a visit to a neurologist she was diagnosed with Epilepsy. She has been on 5ml of Levetiracetam/lewetyracetam (Keppra) twice per day.. This has controlled the seizures although she does still have the occasional twitch. I was told at the time to double the dose if the seizures continue.

There is medication but every person is different so insist on a follow-up visit to the neurologist. Good luck

vickic

Oct 10, 2012
"Seizures" sure doesn't accurately describe what we as family have to witness! Grandads 1st one will give me nightmares for the rest of my life!!! Anyway it took 3 different types of drug to stop them, and even though he is at end stage, the hospital gave him cat scans, eeg and Mri to manage them effectively, so don't take the excuse of " dementia" !!

moonshadow

Aug 22, 2013
My mom (VasDementia) got seizures and neurologist got them under control with medication.

In your mom's case I would ask for a second opinion.

Cfduti

May 13, 2013
One thing with epilepsy is that what works for one does not necessarily work for another. Medication needs to be tailored individually. A history and treatment regime should be worked up by a pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robert F Smith