I am 60 and grew up with Jimmy Hendrix and motown

avril

Sep 11, 2013
Carmarthen, Wales
I feel I am on a mission, i have been trying to find groups i can attend for under 65s with dementia. none.
They have tried very hard to persuade into going to a singing for the brain, when i asked what they sang it was all music from the years before and around the time i was born.
The only support group was for people over 65yrs.
Well i want to sing songs from my era and to be with people around my age group.
We may be in the minority, but surely our needs should be heard also.
I was told there was money to set up craft classes and was asked what i would be interested in. I found out today those craft classes have been and gone, and no one told me. I feel us young ones are been forgotten.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
I agree with you Avril. When R was diagnosed he was 58 and it would have been so good if he could have gone to a group where people were his own age, with activities to match. I tried so hard to find something for him, and although he was reluctant, I would have gone with him to encourage him.

Instead he ended up going to a group of over 65s when he had reached an advanced stage and was unable to cope; he hated it and wouldn't go.

Maybe that is something that will happen in the future.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I agree with you about the music thing, do not think they ever get it right, big age difference I know, my mum is 80 and last week we tried one of those sing-alongs, every song was pre 2nd world war, my mum was only 5 when war started. Its hard to find age and stage suitable activities, having said that I would not like to be the one responsible for coming up with ideas/classes/groups.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
My husband says the same he is 66 now and goes to the Day Centre where they play Vera Lynn and old time musical hall music and he still likes rock,

SoyHJ

Mar 16, 2013
You're all so right. We aren't yet at the stage where we would go to a singing group but if/when we considered it...old time music hall, Vera Lyn?? Hendrix, the 60s era, fine but the older stuff? Good for those who grew up with it but not for us.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
My mother is 90 but she enjoys the music of the 60s which she heard when we were young (I'm 61, my brother is 59). She really doesn't like Vera Lynn and wartime music or the 50s music very much so when she was in respite I don't think she enjoyed what they had constantly playing in the dining room.

I really think they should not assume "one size fits all" and just play one type of music. Don't they realise people are individuals despite their age? I personally wouldn't be too keen on hearing the Beatles on tap!

I hope you can persuade them to cater for young 'uns, Avril. Even take your own music in? It's a shame you haven't got a group for younger people - there is one in our area of Essex and I don't understand why there aren't more throughout the country.

avril

Sep 11, 2013
Carmarthen, Wales
You're all so right. We aren't yet at the stage where we would go to a singing group but if/when we considered it...old time music hall, Vera Lyn?? Hendrix, the 60s era, fine but the older stuff? Good for those who grew up with it but not for us.

thanks for all your comments, glad im not the only one who thinks this.
Its true people in their 70 and above now would have listened to Rock, Motown etc. Is there a stage when everyone changes and becomes a Vera Lyn fan.
When I go into a home, no chance, I have ask my husband and children to bring in Jimi Hendrix, Otis Reading and will have it blasting from my room.
I went to a support group, where they had us making pumpkins, well I am an adult, who has a degree and had a well paid job. Just because I have Alzheimer's it doesn't mean I have now become a child over night. Sorry for going on need to get it off my chest

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
It's a great pity that some signing sessions seem to be stuck with songs from a particular time period.

We go to two 'Singing for the Brain' sessions. They both have a wide range of songs from different eras. The clientele include old people (e.g, a centenarian and people in their nineties) and some younger ones. Although we all have our own favourites, it would appear, from their enthusiasm, that the vast majority have broad musical tastes and are quite happy to enjoy a mix - Doris Day and Vera Lynn rub shoulders with Carole King and Bob Dylan. I don't know if we sing anything written after about 1980. Then there are folky songs - 'Londonderry Air', for example - which are older than any of the participants but which most people enjoy singing.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
April, your comments so ring true. Too many assumptions made all round. Craft activities need to cater for all abilities as music should include all genres. Classical would give another group enjoyment and would encompass a greater age span assuming they like this. Folk music from all parts of uk would also be nice with traditional dancing. One size fits all does not sit well. Organisers of various groups should be more aware. Same with bingo being bog standard but a section of society would always curl their toes up at the thought of bingo. I do hope you find a group that caters for your tastes.
Maybe a peer support group with social interactions would be more to your liking, getting interests satisfied by groups with your interests in your locality. At peer support group you may well meet a group with your likes, then making your wishes known to organisers.

Hollyx

Jan 12, 2014
Activities

Going off on a bit of a tangent ...... I think it's a real shame that there aren't groups that could promote swimming, gym workouts, badminton etc for younger people.
We've struggled to find anything ..... a real gap in the 'care' for Early Onset sufferers.
If anyone has any ideas, please let us know!!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
That's part of the problem they cater for the "wartime" generation and fair comment there are loads out there (and all credit to them and the hardships they endured) but the question is will they they move on?
My wife is 61 (diagnosed 3 years ago) I tried to but can't take her to places like that with all the wartime themes, she's much happier if I set up the computer so she can watch some prog rock or a bit of Genesis or something on youtube. If places that don't adapt will lose customers, council will say "no longer viable" and they get shut down.
No surprise it looks like everyone so far agrees on this.
k

kathleenr

Aug 19, 2013
It is really tough to find apropriate facilities. There is stuff around but you have to dig deep and may end up as I did setting up your own group forunder 65s (as a carer ) Hope it works out I suppose it would be day time rock karaoke which sounds good fun

SoundsNorthern

Jul 4, 2014
Barnsley
Great thread this, I agree that institutions should provide a wider variety of music.

Since I started caring for my Dad, one of the first things I created was a Spotify playlist with artists I know Dad likes (Shirley Bassey, Jim Reeves, Rat Pack, Tony Christie) and mixed them up with hits from the years around the time me and my siblings were born.

I just googled top chart hits from those years and hey presto Dad's feet started tapping and his customary humming was under way. We always say that certain songs bring back memories of where we were when they were hits and of course what we were doing. I think this works for Dad, well at least he seems happy with the songs being played.......there are even a couple of Take That songs on there too...haha ;) I hope this tip helps anyone out there

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
At this very moment my 80 year old mother is bopping along to Mungo Jerry 'In the summertime'

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Our singing group always asks for requests, so that people sing what they like. The first two sessions covered Nightingale Singing in Berkeley Square to Beach Boys to Elvis. Moon River sits with Bring Me Sunshine (Morecombe and Wise). Often leaders want ideas, just ask!

keane

Sep 9, 2005
I can recommend Sy Arts too. They have loads of fantastic music shows on. I tend to record loads of them for mum.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point