Carers visiting times

carer21

Jan 17, 2014
Hi everyone. Im cross!!
Mum lives with us and recently we started Carers following a blip. So far so good except mum only ever has care when SHE is ready. Carers twice a day and me the rest of the time. Basically to change pull-ups wash and or change nightie and evening call to try get to bed.
EXCEPT past 2 nights they've come at 7!!! That's no good to me or mum who hasn't had supper yet and certainly won't want bed at 7.30. Aaaagh!! Not Carers fault I know and we can't all have exact times but there's a reason why I'd asked for later calls and that was noted. So I said there was no point the carer even coming in. Thing is eventually mum is paying for these visits ( waiting for OPG) and so adult social care deferring payments till then. Worried if I cancel altogether then we'll have pay up now but with what? And can I change care agency to one of our choosing now or do I have to wait as Social care contract with this particular one? Thankyou.... I've calmed down a bit now.......

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I think Direct Payments are great - but I don't think you can get them if you are paying for your own care (full cost, not a contribution).

Definitely worth discussing changing agencies with SS - if they're going to be reimbursed eventually, what should it matter to them who you use? Tread carefully though and make sure you get agreement before you do anything :)

Lindy xx

carer21

Jan 17, 2014
Thankyou for your replies. Agency sent another carer back at 8.30 who'd been before and she understood how stupid to send someone at 7 and checked for me for tmrw night will be 8.30 again. Will check out options over w/e. Thankyou again x

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Hello carer, it's so frustrating when things don't happen how they should. At least if you're self funding you can use who you want, and don't have to involve SS. Is there enough choice where you live that you can threaten to take your business elsewhere if they don't comply with the agreed care plan? Apologies if I've misunderstood the situation. We had a few blips when mum's care package started but a few strong words in the right direction and it settled down well, so there are some good companies and carers out there.

Best wishes and hugs, it's a thankless job

carer21

Jan 17, 2014
Thankyou loveahug. Yes self funding but as no access to funds until I have Deputyship have had to go through ss to get care as they are paying their contracted agency to provide care for now. Shall get backdated bill in the future. So still think I can't change until have Deputyship but will check on Monday with them. Quite often the visit is unnecessary as I've needed to seize the moment to wash and change mum when she's being compliant so actually sometimes seems a waste of money having them anyway! Although the plus side is it's not always me that cops the flack!! Xx

carer21

Jan 17, 2014
Update ...... Was on the phone most of yesterday. Called care agency to register my concerns re times of visits over weekend. They were very surprised that our slot in particular had been changed to early as it had been highlighted as a late call. They checking it out?!!!!...... Got antibiotics for uti to be delivered ....... Thought about what we really need and I think it's a longer visit by the same person maybe twice a week to give me time out to be a mum and nanny and do mum and nanny stuff for my children so...... Looking at who does that and in our area it seems so far there's only one option but spoke to man on phone so understood so completely that you need to Give the care when it's accepted and not at a specific time and that they provide min 6 hour calls. Working out the money side of things I think we could do 2 long days for just over what we currently pay ( or rather what ss pay while as covering cost until i have Deputyship) for our twice daily half hour visits where often nothing allowed to be done. Seems a more appropriate way to try and provide care and also give me the time to be me a bit. Maybe could have one of the days so husband and I could have time out together. Need to see if ss will swap payments to new provider. That's a call for today! Also would be same carer with 2 spares for emergencies and hols but they said they very careful to maintain continuity barring unforeseen events. Had a very busy thinking day yesterday! Just wondered what you all thought.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Celiagibson