Hello, and your thoughts please?

Randonneur

Jul 21, 2014
Hello all, I'm Pete and look forward to joining in with discussions. There is such a wealth of knowledge and experience to be shared here, and I feel humbled by the many wonderful people caring for those with dementia.

I'm a Registered Nurse and will soon be joining a brand new care home, which will have a dedicated unit for caring for people with dementia. It is a chance to build from scratch, and it is my aim to help the staff deliver the highest possible standards of care to all of the residents. With this in mind - may I ask what you would want in a home caring for your loved ones, based upon your experience of caring/care homes? I'm determined to get things right for residents and their families from the very beginning, hence my request; your experiences, good or not so good, would help shape that.

Thanking you in anticipation of your help.

Take care.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's a shame you missed it, it was very informative but do read it when the transcript comes out.

60's child

Apr 23, 2013
suffolk
Hi Pete
If I had to consider a care home for my Mum it would all be about the staff. If they were all kind, caring and trained in dementia I would not mind if the home was a bit scruffy. I would look for open visiting for family, lots of activites and things for residents to get involved in if they wished. I think security would also be high on my list so I would know that my Mum could not wander off, but as I have already said, lovely caring staff who listen to families and try to get to know as much about the residents as possible.
Good luck
x

Last edited:

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Organise the key worker to do more than bathe and put their resident to bed. Mum's key worker was lovely and they did develop a bond, but she did not really have time to do much more on a one to one basis.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
My wish list:Carers who look out for and remember the little things.

An example of what I mean: My mum has always had an obsession with hot plates for hot food. Usually the gravy sizzled when you poured it on the plate; the family joke was that you needed asbestos gloves to help serve.:eek: It is a small thing, but my mum is more concerned about the plate being hot than what is on it right now, so would enjoy her meals, eat much more and therefore be healthier if the servers would just remember to heat up her plate before serving.:)

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Mums care home, 1,carer has overall responsibility for 4 residents. In mums "house" there are 16 residents 4 Carers, with a nurse who is house senior, so overall 5 carers for 16 people.

The carer has got to know mum very well and can spot any small change in mum and we work in partnership caring for my mum.

Another excellent thing is that there are activities morning and afternoon every day of the week, including weekends. There are 3 dedicated activity organisers and whilst not every activity suits everyone, the organisers are always aware of the activities that don't suit and try to arrange ones that do.. Mum used to do crafts. She can no longer follow a group activity, but she is accommodated within her level of participation.

Every one, including office, cleaning and kitchen staff have dementia training which is regularly refreshed.

We are very very lucky to have found this care home. it's run on a "not for profit" basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I have to agree it all came down to the staff as well with me.

Mum was in her CH for eight years and during that time the activities offered varied considerably. Two activity co-ordinators stood out - when they were on duty, there was a buzz around the place that was lovely to witness. Outgoing, chatty, inclusive with big personalities - probably annoyed the hell out of the rest of the carers, but the residents loved them and responded well.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Good communication between everyone concerned with a person's care would be one thing I'd look for. Make sure everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet, so to speak.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
There must be a way of keeping residents clean even if they refuse a shower or change of clothing when asked, there are other ways of kindly persuading them to comply,

My husband was in a CH respite for 4 nights and he came home stinking in the same clothes he went in and a bag full of clean clothes that i had sent he says no whenever anyone asks him if he wants a shower or get clean clothes on but I manage it at home and for the most part the carers who come to get him ready and shower him do as well,

Best Wishes, Jeany x

Last edited:

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
Get to know the person behind the Dementia mask with the help of relatives if necessary. You may be surprised at what you discover. Each contain their own unique story.