Benefits and payments .... Totally confused?????

Steve1310

May 21, 2014
Basildon, Essex
Hi,
I care for my Dad and he has recently had a load of financial assessments done by the DWP. He was in receipt of carers allowance from when my sister used to care for him but since I started caring for him, his social worker has gone through the whole process again and I have had a mountain of forms to complete on his behalf; many of which request the same information over and over again despite them all going to the same department.
His weekly payment has plummeted this week with a reduction of £60+ with no explanation.
I have phoned to requested an explanation on three occasions now, but not one person is able to help or advise what the cut is?
I go to work full time and he has carers which he has to pay a contribution towards so I don't see any of these factors affecting his income as my Dad's income and mine are totally separate entities.
I pay my share of council tax and rent towards the property too, so that factor should also be accounted for.
With no local citizens advice bureau, can anyone steer me in the direction of a whom I may be able to get help and advice from, given the department (DWP) making these cuts have no idea themselves, all of which just adds to the exisiting day-to-day stresses of caring for someone with dementia

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Make a appointment with Age UK they are used to seeing if you are getting the right benefits and should be able to sort it out for your dad,

They came out to our house to help fill forms in for us,

Best Wishes Jeany x

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
it's such a bonkers system isn't it. The allowances to look at are: carer's allowance if he needs mor ethan 35 hours care per week, attendance allowance, council tax 25% discount (mental impairment). possibly pension credit too (depending on other income). Age UK or your local Alzheimer's branch should be able and willing to help you.

Good luck!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
it's such a bonkers system isn't it. The allowances to look at are: carer's allowance if he needs mor ethan 35 hours care per week, attendance allowance, council tax 25% discount (mental impairment). possibly pension credit too (depending on other income). Age UK or your local Alzheimer's branch should be able and willing to help you.

Good luck!

I will never understand why Carer's Allowance (and Pension Credit) is means-tested but Attendance Allowance is not. It does not seem fair nor does it seem fair that the one form of Council Tax discount you can get (for mental impairment) is the one the OPG does not accept for LPA fee omission. :confused:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Was it £61.35? Because that is the carers allowance, but it shouldn't have been going to him, it should have been going to your sister.

Steve1310

May 21, 2014
Basildon, Essex
Was it £61.35? Because that is the carers allowance, but it shouldn't have been going to him, it should have been going to your sister.

At present no carers allowance is being paid, just re-assessed.
His usual weekly payment from the post office up until last week was £225, when it was collected this week it had significantly dropped to £166.
Having only had carers in since 04/06/14, a financial assessment was done last week on my dad's DWP payments and we were advised that he would have to make a weekly contribution of £9 despite having no savings or assets and living in council accommodation with his rent and council tax paid for.
As I previously mentioned, I came to live with my Dad to help care for him but this is only when I get in from work and through the night, hence the need for carers during the day.
I sold my house but am told my assets do not affect any of my Dad's entitlements as these are exclusively mine and cannot be factored into any financial assessment in respect of my Dad.
I pay my proportion of rent and council tax to the council since moving in, but I just can't get answers to why my Dad's payments and allowances have changed so dramatically by more than a quarter?

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm wondering if you should approach it the other way: that is, work out what he should be receiving in terms of state pension, attendance allowance and pension credit if any. Then maybe you can see which part has gone missing.

You shouldn't have to of course: you should be able to just call and they tell you but you've already tried that.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Don't you have anything in writing about what his entitlements should be? A bank statement would usually also show clearly what's what - AA is Attendance Allowance, SP is State Pension, PC Pension Credit etc.

Penny10

Jul 31, 2014
Possible answer...

At present no carers allowance is being paid, just re-assessed.
His usual weekly payment from the post office up until last week was £225, when it was collected this week it had significantly dropped to £166.
Having only had carers in since 04/06/14, a financial assessment was done last week on my dad's DWP payments and we were advised that he would have to make a weekly contribution of £9 despite having no savings or assets and living in council accommodation with his rent and council tax paid for.
As I previously mentioned, I came to live with my Dad to help care for him but this is only when I get in from work and through the night, hence the need for carers during the day.
I sold my house but am told my assets do not affect any of my Dad's entitlements as these are exclusively mine and cannot be factored into any financial assessment in respect of my Dad.
I pay my proportion of rent and council tax to the council since moving in, but I just can't get answers to why my Dad's payments and allowances have changed so dramatically by more than a quarter?

Hi steve,

You may have solved your query already but if not I might be able to suggest the reason why your dad's income has fallen.

If your dad, before you moved in, was getting DLA middle or high rate care or either level of Attendance Allowance and he was living alone then he may have been getting something called a severe disability addition added to his payments of pension through pension credit. The addition is worth £61 per week. This addition often means someone becomes entitled to pension credit as it increases the minimum amount a person can be expected to live on in their circumstances. This would only be paid if your dad's income was low enough for the addition to make a difference (they top up his income to meet the minimum level) and he was living alone or with someone who was also getting DLA MR or HR Care or AA (meaning they would also qualify for the addition). Once you moved in with him he could no longer receive this premium despite the fact you are not getting Carer's Allowance for him. Often, if this addition is removed, it can mean payment of pension credit is lost and they also lose full entitlement to housing benefit and council tax help.

You are right that your income wouldn't affect your dad's benefit entitlement as you are treated as separate households despite living together.

A good explanation regarding the rules for the addition can be found on a benefit website called "entitledto" if you search for "severe disability premium" (can't post link as won't let me until I have 10 posts under my belt.

I hope this explains things.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Yes, Penny10.

My mother received the Severe Disability Premium on her Pension Credit but when my sister claimed Carer's Allowance, mam's money was reduced.

My son (congenital disabilities) received a form when benefits were changed to ESA, asking if he wished to apply for this premium if there was no-one in receipt of CA relating to his care.
As I do receive CA, it didn't apply.

Carer's Allowance can be applied for if you have an income of >c£100 minus some expenses that can be off-set.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Your father should still be getting Attendance Allowance with the higher rate applied if he needs help at night. I live with my mother and she still receives this. I think, because I get Carer's Allowance for her, the NHS Help with Health Costs is reduced (this is the help towards dental costs and glasses). We also have carers coming in so it does not affect my getting CA as I still look after more than 35 hours a week (I think this is the figure).

We are declared as non-dependents living with her but she gets Housing Benefit and Council tax reduction based on the fact that she is the tenant. Your father can get complete exemption from paying council tax due to Severe Mental Impairment, but depending on how many other people are living with him, you will still be required to pay your Council Tax. If there is only you with him, I think you will be entitled to a 25% reduction.

You should find the letters he receives annually detailing his Pension, Pension Credit and Attendance Allowance. These are sent out before each April to show the amount they have increased for the new tax year. You have to contact them all individually as they don't seem to liaise with each other!

By the way, there doesn't need to be anyone getting CA for your father to get Attendance Allowance. This is to cover the extra costs of his disability and is for him, even if his needs aren't being met fully.

If he is not getting AA, you can fill in the form online. Is there a mental health advocate in your area that can help with this? I've just checked and you have a Mind and an Age Concern UK offices in Basildon. They should also be able to advise you and confirm which benefits your father is entitled to. I would have thought his Social Worker should already have helped with this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC