Mental capacity assessment

Sasky

Jan 29, 2014
Ashford, Kent
Hi everyone. My mum will be having a mental capacity assessment soon can you please tell me what is involved and what I need to do
Thank you

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have a read of >>>THIS<<<

Be prepared to answer questions about what you think of her mental capacity, you may not be asked but if your mum has difficulty communicating your opinion should be sought.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Nitram, this is really useful, thank you. I would be very interested to know though what actually happens at a meeting to assess capacity. What evidence would be used to say someone met or didn't meet these criteria?

BLONDY

Oct 29, 2011
2000 MILES AWAY
Mental capacity test my Mum was told the day date and month then asked what day it is depending on who is asking depends on the outcome. Actually it is a complete waste of time in my opinion.

Sent from my LC0901D using Talking Point mobile app

CJW

Sep 22, 2013
can you tell us what is the reason for the assessment ie. is she resisting help, refusing medical treatment or care? Mental assessments are made for a specific reason. so for example you can be deemed capable of deciding your own financial matters, but incapable of making health decisions because you dont understand the implications.

Dogsbod

Jun 25, 2014
Suffolk
Mum had a mental capacity test two weeks ago, before her move into a care home. Our social worker was great, she explained to me that she had to be sure Mum was able to understand about the move, what it meant for her regarding her housing etc. if mum was not able to understand, then the SW would have to go down the deprivation of liberty route. (It wouldn't stop mum moving into the home, but legally they would have to put the paperwork in place if mum was unable to agree that it was in her best interests.)The SW told me that as long as mum could understand and answer ok, she would be satisfied, even if mum couldn't remember the question a few minutes later. Just to be sure, the SW is going to repeat test in a few weeks. It was'nt an issue in mums case, hope its the same for you.