Dealing with agitation

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
Hi all,

After nearly 4 weeks of mum & dad going into a care home together (dad Alzheimer's, mum wheelchair bound) they seemed to be settling in as well as we could have hoped.
Then suddenly the last 2 days dad has become very agitated. Wanted to go to bed at 12, didn't want the lunch he'd chosen when it came, then didn't want to go to bed when it was time. Then today on the hottest bloody day of the year insists on wearing vest, shirt, jumper & dressing gown & spent all day going on & on about not wanting to stay & needing to find somewhere else to live despite mum doing her best to distract him/change the subject etc.
It's so hard for her as she still takes responsibility for him in the home & had a hard job stepping away to let the carers take over.
The thing is when they were at home he was saying they needed to get out of the place & find somewhere else to live!
I thought them finally moving to a care home would be a relief but I'm more exhausted & stressed than before!
Anyway rant over.
Love to all caring xx

Feline

Oct 25, 2012
East Devon
Hi all,

After nearly 4 weeks of mum & dad going into a care home together (dad Alzheimer's, mum wheelchair bound) they seemed to be settling in as well as we could have hoped.
Then suddenly the last 2 days dad has become very agitated. Wanted to go to bed at 12, didn't want the lunch he'd chosen when it came, then didn't want to go to bed when it was time. Then today on the hottest bloody day of the year insists on wearing vest, shirt, jumper & dressing gown & spent all day going on & on about not wanting to stay & needing to find somewhere else to live despite mum doing her best to distract him/change the subject etc.
It's so hard for her as she still takes responsibility for him in the home & had a hard job stepping away to let the carers take over.
The thing is when they were at home he was saying they needed to get out of the place & find somewhere else to live!
I thought them finally moving to a care home would be a relief but I'm more exhausted & stressed than before!
Anyway rant over.
Love to all caring xx

Hi Emsy
Could be just the move or uti springs to mind,p'raps get urine tested, in haste,
best wishes

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
Yes I wondered about UTi plus it's been so hot last couple of days makes us all feel a bit crazy!
Hopefully it's a blip & mum won't change her mind & insist they go home!!

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Hi, sorry that things are hard. However my caree is most difficult on hottest days and also did this nonsense of needing x layers in bed on morning of such a hot day! Also the more drink is needed, the less is taken on board. UTI s in last 2 years have been in hottest spells.i guess the germs travel better then! Many good wishes that they settle in when the temperature declines. I dread these hot spells for that reason. May cooler days return!

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
Hi, sorry that things are hard. However my caree is most difficult on hottest days and also did this nonsense of needing x layers in bed on morning of such a hot day! Also the more drink is needed, the less is taken on board. UTI s in last 2 years have been in hottest spells.i guess the germs travel better then! Many good wishes that they settle in when the temperature declines. I dread these hot spells for that reason. May cooler days return!

Thanks Oxy, think you are right!
I went to see dad yesterday & no jumper just a shirt - was a bit cooler too & different person. No mention of wanting to leave & a lot more relaxed.

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Pleased for you that your dad is brighter in spirits. I hate it when my caree is like that because for all the will in the world, all help is rebuffed with obsession of the moment and it is impossible to take bad feeling or anxiety away. At that time no reasoning works.